Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
Well tomorrow is the day of the road closure. I thought it would be for the crane, now thinking it will be for concrete pour.

From the pictures I would bet against a concrete pour. They don't seem ready. The rebar on the Fredrick side just sort of ends and they still need formwork around most of the edges. Maybe by the end of the week though.
A crane definitely needs a road closure. But I would have expected to see the base poured first. So maybe this is just for pouring the crane base?
Crane base usually comes first, doesn't it?
2019-04-10

More pieces of the puzzle.  Yesterday, Frederick Street was not closed.  But it is closed today.

Could that wooden box like construction be for the crane tower?

It looks like cement will be poured totay.

The big cement pour has started.  Cement trucks everywhere.

That is one massive cement pour. Wow. Thanks for the great pictures. Please don't move till this thing is built lol.!!!

I'll try to get some photos from the Market Square side.
Amazing progress shots!
(04-10-2019, 10:49 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: That is one massive cement pour. Wow. Thanks for the great pictures. Please don't move till this thing is built lol.!!!

I like the pours where several concrete trucks drive up and dump their entire loads into one form. Not at all like a typical residential landscaping project.

I hope they installed the right pipes and conduit into the space before pouring! Not easy to correct any mistakes later…
(04-10-2019, 08:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I hope they installed the right pipes and conduit into the space before pouring! Not easy to correct any mistakes later…

Are there types of pipe/conduit that would need to be located that far down?

With the amount of rebar and size of a pit I figured it would be a few more days of truck loads, but can't say I've seen a foundation/footing like that before.
(04-10-2019, 11:01 AM)KevinL Wrote: I'll try to get some photos from the Market Square side.

Here's one from about Noon today:

[Image: qRE4Zmc.jpg]
(04-10-2019, 09:28 PM)embe Wrote:
(04-10-2019, 08:33 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I hope they installed the right pipes and conduit into the space before pouring! Not easy to correct any mistakes later…

Are there types of pipe/conduit that would need to be located that far down?

With the amount of rebar and size of a pit I figured it would be a few more days of truck loads, but can't say I've seen a foundation/footing like that before.

I thought I saw pipes within the rebar. It looked to me like it might be drainage pipes. I also thought I might have seen some electrical conduit. But I don’t really know for sure.

2019-04-11

Yesterday's massive cement pour only filled part of the site.  And they're adding more rebar on the cemented area.  A small part of the area that was not filled in may, in fact, be for the crane.

I don't buy the hole in the concrete for the crane base. I think that is for an elevator.
I do think the spray painted X in the middle of the pour could be for the crane though, with the four circles being the four corners of the tower structure. What I don't understand is why they didn't mount it directly into yesterday's pour. Instead it looks like they will be doing some sort of extra pad for it on top.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »