Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 33fl | U/C
(Yesterday, 11:24 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I really hope that this does not significantly delay the project.

I really doubt that. They may have to be more careful demolishing that section, but that should not give any significant time stretch.
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps

(Yesterday, 11:20 AM)clasher Wrote:
(Yesterday, 10:55 AM)BrianT Wrote: Those homeless people are geniuses. Light a fire in a wooden building to keep warm. What could possibly go wrong? I wonder if they'll be charged with arson?

Not if they started it to keep warm and it got out of hand. An arson charge would need to prove criminal intent. And honestly I'd be looking to sleep in an abandoned building if I were homeless... and I'd probably be inclined to start a small fire... I have no idea what it's like to be cold for a week straight.

Exactly this.

If, and that's a big if, they wanted to lay charges, it would be trespassing.
(Yesterday, 11:46 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(Yesterday, 11:20 AM)clasher Wrote: Not if they started it to keep warm and it got out of hand. An arson charge would need to prove criminal intent. And honestly I'd be looking to sleep in an abandoned building if I were homeless... and I'd probably be inclined to start a small fire... I have no idea what it's like to be cold for a week straight.

Exactly this.

If, and that's a big if, they wanted to lay charges, it would be trespassing.

At best, it would offer a way to get them off the streets for the winter, but that's not the way things are done.
(Yesterday, 11:42 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(Yesterday, 11:24 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I really hope that this does not significantly delay the project.

I really doubt that. They may have to be more careful demolishing that section, but that should not give any significant time stretch.

It doesn't seem to have delayed anything yet. Walked past this afternoon and the chapel is completely gone, plus some of that space that connected to the church.
WTF??  The church was on fire again overnight.  The flames were higher than yesterday.   Crews are still on the scene.
(3 hours ago)jgsz Wrote: WTF??  The church was on fire again overnight.  The flames were higher than yesterday.   Crews are still on the scene.

Perhaps it is time to place security gaurds there...  Just wait till they get construction going and have cement walls framed in....
On the news this morning they said that the fire was noticed by a security guard.
They need to get this building down before a real serious fire spreads.
This is the scene after the second fire:

I heard on the radio that Frederick is closed from King to Weber
Well looks like it'll actually speed things up

Quote:The church, built in 1905, has sat empty in the downtown for more than a year. It's now being torn down to make way for a 33-storey condo tower. In talking with the demolition company on site, Brooks said the building will likely come down faster.

"They're changing their plans and hopefully we're going to be able to take down the bigger building within two to three days; they're looking at bringing in a bigger piece of equipment to help out with that," he said. "We need to have this knocked down right away to keep this from happening."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Possibly Related Threads...
  Bell Canada building (Water/Duke) tomh009 17 10,266 01-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Last Post: MacBerry