Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
I'm not saying that there aren't condos that are worth buying and then renting out. But at $400K for a 700 sq ft unit (at DTK) that might rent for maybe $1500, the numbers for this building at least really don't make sense to me.

But the great thing is that we're all free to make our own investment choices. Smile

I've always struggled to make the numbers make sense in my head too. With the condo fees, taxes and interest and what not, it would seem difficult to put much of the rental income towards your principal.
I think the idea with a lot of investors is that the condo will be an appreciating asset. Time will tell, and if resale prices start to head downward in a meaningful way...
(07-23-2018, 07:10 PM)BrianT Wrote: I just checked and it looks like they are going for a 36 storey building. Permit is for the foundation.

Public Search Results (1)

Public Search Results (1)
Permit Number    18-113903 MU 
Project Address   60 FREDERICK ST 
Folder Type         Multiple Use Building
Sub Type             Apartment
Work Type           Foundation - Only
Status                  Open
Description          Permit is for foundation only for a 36 storey apartment building with underground parking garage and commercial units on the ground floor.

Where did you find this information?  I'm having no luck at all.
(07-24-2018, 10:23 AM)BrianT Wrote:
(07-24-2018, 06:27 AM)jgsz Wrote: Where did you find this information?  I'm having no luck at all.

https://www.kitchener.ca/en/building-and...rmits.aspx

Thanks.  I found the page here.  The official site still says it is 33 stories.
(07-24-2018, 11:09 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(07-24-2018, 10:23 AM)BrianT Wrote: https://www.kitchener.ca/en/building-and...rmits.aspx

Thanks.  I found the page here.  The official site still says it is 33 stories.

I guess it could be three things: 1) DTK hasn't updated their page yet or 2) 36 floors but that includes a 3-level below ground garage or 3) DTK wants 36 floors (above ground) but approval is for 33 floors only currently.
Keep in mind the quoted permit is only for the foundation; presumably there will be an additional permit for the actual building. Sounds like they're designing the foundation to handle up to 36 floors, but have not decided the exact count yet.

I find it sometimes confusing when they list the tower height separately. 33 storey tower and three for the podium?
A Sitler Demolition sign is on the church now.
(08-16-2018, 01:26 PM)Lens Wrote: A Sitler Demolition sign is on the church now.

Good, good. It's starting to move now. Very nice.

I imagine the demolition, excavation, and build will be a good 3 years or so.
Render from the "ION Attracts" map (states the floor count at 35):
[Image: TrinityChurchRedevelopment.png]
Looks like it will be the only tall building in DTK!
Ha!! I noticed that too.

The courthouse looks so tiny

(09-19-2018, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Looks like it will be the only tall building in DTK!

Ya gotta love a tower that can make the Regency disappear!
(09-19-2018, 04:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Looks like it will be the only tall building in DTK!

Not many tall buildings in DTK -- limits, of what, 17-19 floors?

DTK (not DTK) is also at a more elevated height, vs, say, Charlie, DTK will be taller than Charlie by a large margin.

Ready to see this go into action though..
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »