Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
Not if Virerra Village has anything to say about that!!

Although that potential project seems further out.

Yesterday (Monday) they had scaffolding up around the restaurant building. Demolition soon?
The church isn't ready to be demolished just yet, they're still carefully packing away all the stained glass. The pipe organ was removed recently, though.
Scaffolding is going up on the facade of the Exclamation building. Covering the entire Duke side at the moment.
(05-01-2018, 09:12 AM)KevinL Wrote: The church isn't ready to be demolished just yet, they're still carefully packing away all the stained glass. The pipe organ was removed recently, though.

I wonder how the auction went?  I contacted the Waterloo Region History Museum when I saw (to my great surprise) that the church's WWI and WWII memorial plaques were among the items listed for auction.  By the time the auction was held, they had disappeared from the list of items, so I'm wondering if the Museum might have snagged them or the congregation realized, belatedly, that these were something to save/donate and not auction off?

Scaffolding on the Exclamation building.

View of the project from above.
At the risk of straying a bit off topic, today's Record has an interesting piece on the removal and restoration of Trinity's stained glass windows.  The article contains a link to a Trinity webpage that shows all the windows.  They are worth saving.  

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/858...ks-of-art/

(05-02-2018, 01:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: Scaffolding is going up on the facade of the Exclamation building. Covering the entire Duke side at the moment.

… and the scaffolding is down now, with no demolition seemingly having been done.

Further, it seems that they are setting up a DTK Condos sales office in the smaller office space next to ex-Exclamation:

I wonder if they didn't have the proper permit to do work around the ION wires?
Sales centre not open quite yet, but soon. I snapped a photo of some of the unit layouts through the window -- starting at 400 sq ft!

It may be realistic, but it always makes me a little sad to see floor plans in which the "living" room is really a TV room.
The floor plans are also all up on their website:
http://www.dtkcondos.ca/dtk-condos-floor-plans/

I'm not really impressed by any of them. Kitchens seems extremely minimal, and half the units are missing front closets. I like what I've seen in Momentum projects better.
The one nice thing I'm seeing is dedicated showers (vs. tubs) available in 1-bedrooms.
(05-25-2018, 01:05 PM)megabytephreak Wrote: The floor plans are also all up on their website:

I'm not really impressed by any of them. Kitchens seems extremely minimal, and half the units are missing front closets. I like what I've seen in Momentum projects better.
The one nice thing I'm seeing is dedicated showers (vs. tubs) available in 1-bedrooms.

It seems that only two of the seven floorplans, the tiny 402 and the larger 767 are missing front closets, and only have shelves and hooks. 

But they are definitely building smaller units, as the range is from 400 sq ft to 700 sq ft; Charlie West, by comparison, ranges from 600 sq ft to 1200 sq ft. That should hopefully be a nice complement to Charlie West (and likely Young Condos).

(05-25-2018, 10:49 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Sales centre not open quite yet, but soon. I snapped a photo of some of the unit layouts through the window -- starting at 400 sq ft!

Dang...dat dem place be small...Almost seem suitable for a single person or new couple. 400 sq ft is tight...
(05-25-2018, 02:04 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 01:05 PM)megabytephreak Wrote: The floor plans are also all up on their website:

It seems that only two of the seven floorplans, the tiny 402 and the larger 767 are missing front closets, and only have shelves and hooks. 

But they are definitely building smaller units, as the range is from 400 sq ft to 700 sq ft; Charlie West, by comparison, ranges from 600 sq ft to 1200 sq ft. That should hopefully be a nice complement to Charlie West (and likely Young Condos).

I am guessing, IIRC, the church had hopes for some affordable housing, and my guess, these units might qualify as "affordable".

I don't care much to be in a large unit, but since the kids are still young, I have to stay in my house. But if priced right, the units are ideal for singles and small families.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »