Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(06-29-2021, 08:47 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 08:32 PM)KevinL Wrote: If it is, then this is now the tallest Canadian structure between Mississauga and Winnipeg - a piece of trivia I just heard.

Will be, otherwise, it was (or would have been) tallest between the GTA and Edmonton. The building in Winnipeg will be topped out soon as well.

I was doing a floor count and it seems that this building is indeed 41 floors (with 41st floor mechanical penthouse). Likely won't be the tallest in the region for a long time, if that one on Francis goes as planned, plus if Station Park is larger.

That said, I drove thru Toronto this weekend, and on the ETR from 401 to 404 -- and I can't believe how many huge buildings that have going up. It blows my mind, and I think, man, we really have not a lot going on here.

Due to increase floor count, we sure this is the real height? Sometimes the they have it listed before the mech floors

(06-29-2021, 08:47 PM)jeffster Wrote: That said, I drove thru Toronto this weekend, and on the ETR from 401 to 404 -- and I can't believe how many huge buildings that have going up. It blows my mind, and I think, man, we really have not a lot going on here.

When compared to the GTA we don't have a whole lot going on here. They build non stop in that metro area. But for us, it's surprising how many things we've built in the last 10-15 years...when you look at the entire region. There's dozens of new buildings here and it's quite amazing when you consider that in the early 2000s, our downtowns were barren dumps and the university area really had no new construction going on.
(06-29-2021, 09:47 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 08:47 PM)jeffster Wrote: Will be, otherwise, it was (or would have been) tallest between the GTA and Edmonton. The building in Winnipeg will be topped out soon as well.

I was doing a floor count and it seems that this building is indeed 41 floors (with 41st floor mechanical penthouse). Likely won't be the tallest in the region for a long time, if that one on Francis goes as planned, plus if Station Park is larger.

That said, I drove thru Toronto this weekend, and on the ETR from 401 to 404 -- and I can't believe how many huge buildings that have going up. It blows my mind, and I think, man, we really have not a lot going on here.

Due to increase floor count, we sure this is the real height? Sometimes the they have it listed before the mech floors

I am not sure. The Winnipeg project will be 142m and 42 floors. So even if we’re at 41 floors (with mechanical), I’m not sure we’d be taller. Here is the article for Winnipeg:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/look-way-up-...-1.5377012
That's so much nicer than this pile of trash.
Um so now this building is apparently 42 floors...? Does anyone know what the floor count is, including the mechanical floor? If anyone lives downtown, maybe they could count them. I ask because I just found a thread on Reddit with a photograph taken by - I presume - a construction worker. The thread is titled "KW from 42 stories High". Someone asked what the count is but there was never a reply to the question: https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...ries_high/

And if it's 40 or 42 floors, I guess it's a lot higher than the 128 meter height that was in the architectural CAD files.
(06-30-2021, 08:32 PM)ac3r Wrote: Um so now this building is apparently 42 floors...? Does anyone know what the floor count is, including the mechanical floor? If anyone lives downtown, maybe they could count them. I ask because I just found a thread on Reddit with a photograph taken by - I presume - a construction worker. The thread is titled "KW from 42 stories High". Someone asked what the count is but there was never a reply to the question: https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...ries_high/

And if it's 40 or 42 floors, I guess it's a lot higher than the 128 meter height that was in the architectural CAD files.

Depends how you count floors.

It for sure is at least 40 floors of units. When I counted, twice, I counted 40. There is 3/4 floor above that floor, which I assumed is mechanical. There is a floor above that, which I think is more mechanical. I believe the 41st floor includes usable space for tenants. It also seems that the 42nd floor has usable space.

So my money is 40 floors of units, 2 additional floors (usable) of mechanical/elevator service (roof tops of floor 40 and 41).

I am guessing that inside, it the elevator will go from P levels to floor 42 (skipping 13). 42nd will be mechanical. 43rd will be elevator shaft space.
I'm tempted to just sneak into the site after hours and see for myself haha. It's pretty easy to explore high rises under construction. All the giant signs warning of 24/7 security and video surveillance are usually just BS to scare people off...most of the sites I've worked on had maybe 1 or 2 security guys sitting around on their phones, doing an hourly round and there were never any actual cameras. I bet the view is nice too.

Edit: I refreshed that thread to see if anyone replied to that poster and the OP did. He says "39 of residential units... 40 utility... 41 utility elevators... 42 utility elevators.. then i could stand on the roof which would be 43...". So I guess it's just 39 floors. We don't ever (at least not usually) count mechanical floors in floor counts in this profession since it's kind of cheating...a bit like factoring in building spire height when measuring the height of a building. Nobody but someone with building envy does that.

(06-30-2021, 09:00 PM)ac3r Wrote: I'm tempted to just sneak into the site after hours and see for myself haha. It's pretty easy to explore high rises under construction. All the giant signs warning of 24/7 security and video surveillance are usually just BS to scare people off...most of the sites I've worked on had maybe 1 or 2 security guys sitting around on their phones, doing an hourly round and there were never any actual cameras. I bet the view is nice too.

Edit: I refreshed that thread to see if anyone replied to that poster and the OP did. He says "39 of residential units... 40 utility... 41 utility elevators... 42 utility elevators.. then i could stand on the roof which would be 43...". So I guess it's just 39 floors. We don't ever (at least not usually) count mechanical floors in floor counts in this profession since it's kind of cheating...a bit like factoring in building spire height when measuring the height of a building. Nobody but someone with building envy does that.

"Tallest 'free standing' structure" and all bets are off, you can use mechanical floors and antenna as your height. Who is OP? Is he/she building DTK? Would mechanical normally take up an entire floor?
You should be able to get a reasonable approximation using a phone as a clinometer.
I asked if this was topped out because I have a friend working at this site who said the building is actually going to be 46 floors (he was working on the 36th) so I have lots of questions lol

Edit: the guy on reddit is quite clear that this is mech at the top tho so I think its safe to assume 39 residential plus a few mech floors is the final count here. Either way this building has definitely changed continually through the project
I forget, this one is condos right? Not rentals?
(07-05-2021, 06:45 AM)Spokes Wrote: I forget, this one is condos right? Not rentals?

Yup, and it's advertised as DTK Condos.
(07-05-2021, 10:21 AM)jeremyroman Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 06:45 AM)Spokes Wrote: I forget, this one is condos right? Not rentals?

Yup, and it's advertised as DTK Condos.

Thanks!  I thought so but couldn't for the life of me remember a sales phase

(07-09-2021, 09:43 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 10:21 AM)jeremyroman Wrote: Yup, and it's advertised as DTK Condos.

Thanks!  I thought so but couldn't for the life of me remember a sales phase

Their main sales office was in Markham, it's almost entirely out of town investors. Which is why they managed to charge so much more per square foot than Charlie West, despite selling at the same time and being a clearly crappier building.
(06-30-2021, 08:32 PM)ac3r Wrote: Um so now this building is apparently 42 floors...? Does anyone know what the floor count is, including the mechanical floor? If anyone lives downtown, maybe they could count them. I ask because I just found a thread on Reddit with a photograph taken by - I presume - a construction worker. The thread is titled "KW from 42 stories High". Someone asked what the count is but there was never a reply to the question: https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...ries_high/

41 or 42? I can’t read these things
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »