Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
(04-11-2019, 09:26 AM)megabytephreak Wrote: I don't buy the hole in the concrete for the crane base. I think that is for an elevator.
I do think the spray painted X in the middle of the pour could be for the crane though, with the four circles being the four corners of the tower structure. What I don't understand is why they didn't mount it directly into yesterday's pour. Instead it looks like they will be doing some sort of extra pad for it on top.

I've never been involved in pouring a crane base but a lot of big electrical motors get installed on a concrete base but with shimmed up with a gap and then they are packed with a special non-shrink grout between the motor and concrete. Column bases are done in a similar way, the bolts are there for erection purposes but the grout is what the columns actually sit on. I have no idea if that X is where the crane is going... just spitballing.

Update.  Does anyone know what they are doing?  There is light snow falling so the pic isn't as sharp at it should be.

(04-11-2019, 09:26 AM)megabytephreak Wrote: I don't buy the hole in the concrete for the crane base. I think that is for an elevator.
I do think the spray painted X in the middle of the pour could be for the crane though, with the four circles being the four corners of the tower structure. What I don't understand is why they didn't mount it directly into yesterday's pour. Instead it looks like they will be doing some sort of extra pad for it on top.

I'm not sure that's for an elevator. A 39 story building with underground parking is going to have one elevator going to the lower levels? Correct me if I'm wrong.
(04-11-2019, 12:59 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:

I'm not sure that's for an elevator. A 39 story building with underground parking is going to have one elevator going to the lower levels? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure it's not the only elevator, but perhaps one that has special requirements, such as heavier capacity for cargo or something, or it could be for some other purpose, I don't claim any special knowledge. It just seems to be about the right size/shape and position for an elevator.
The red markings in the middle of the walled area indicated where four groups of rebar would be built.  It's probably a good clue what that area is going to be.  Also note the worker in the hole? ??

This second pour is a tower crane base.  Interesting that they had to pour it on top instead of incorporating it into the foundation slab like we often see.  Engineers are all different...
2019-04-15

Since this morning, they have been removing more of sandy soil.  On Friday they poured more cement on top of the base they poured earlier. 

How soon does the crane go up, then?
I was by today and saw they were excavating.  Taking the final earth away because they wont need access anymore for a mobile crane.  As you can see the crane base well cemented, I am sure the tower crane will be going up shortly.  Look for road closure..  I am impressed with their pace of work...
there is a planned road closure the 17th and 18th according to the regional website.
You can assume about a week for the concrete to cure, after the pour. So late this week at the earliest, I would think, for the crane.
Well this is upcoming From: Wed 17 Apr, 2019

To: Thur 18 Apr, 2019

At 60 Frederick St

Kitchener

Closed

Closed. No Access.

Other

But they have fooled me before, lol
(04-15-2019, 02:35 PM)Square Wrote: Well this is upcoming From: Wed 17 Apr, 2019

To: Thur 18 Apr, 2019

At 60 Frederick St

Kitchener

Closed

Closed. No Access.

Other

But they have fooled me before, lol

I am thinking they are go for crane erection !!

I agree for the crane erection as it would almost be a week, you can change concrete based upon requirements to make it cure quicker or the normal speed.
(04-15-2019, 01:21 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I was by today and saw they were excavating.  Taking the final earth away because they wont need access anymore for a mobile crane.  As you can see the crane base well cemented, I am sure the tower crane will be going up shortly.  Look for road closure..  I am impressed with their pace of work...

How do they do that? With no ramp, how does the dirt get into the dump trucks? Do the excavators have to load it into buckets and the crane lifts them out? For that matter, can the crane lift out the excavators or do they get them out some other way?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »