Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
Very cool. Didn't know that office building is gonna have cool pillars in behind!

2001 Space Oddysey, very cool movie...if they bring it (again?) To Apollo or Princess on a throw back night imma check it out!
(12-19-2018, 06:48 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Here's a few views of what I've got so far (Red is planned, yellow is U/C, green is complete)

[Image: ybbjxgz.jpg]

[Image: dxaMhpd.jpg]

[Image: QTQDzNr.jpg]

Are you able to add the Young Condo's? I believe they're 25 floors.
Gtwok awesome. You can really start to sense what the future skyline will look like, exciting to see espically since in addition to those projects there is include Arrow Lofts II, Young Condos, Manulife's project, Garment st, One hundred tower II ,new project on Scott St etc
Love the mock ups GtwoK!!! Thanks for taking the time on these.
(12-19-2018, 05:56 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Ack, I shouldn't have mentioned it, I didn't realize other people were going to do it instead! I was working on integrating every project currently under development in the region, trying to be as floor-plan accurate as possible

Sorry! The remainder is all you. It's a shame we can't make this a collaborative project with Earth. 

Here are the last two perspectives I wanted to share after the comment of it looking out of place. One on Frederick and another out front of city hall.

[Image: DTK7.png]

[Image: DTK6.png]
Not really out of place at all.

(12-20-2018, 11:23 AM)Spokes Wrote: Not really out of place at all.

I agree, plus, we dont know whats going on with Market Square, if a tall building goes up there, they will match. I heard an interesting rumour at the Walper Barber shop that it is going to be torn down and two towers are being constructed Barbers hear a lot of things... Remember, source is the Barber shop talk ...
(12-20-2018, 12:28 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 11:23 AM)Spokes Wrote: Not really out of place at all.

I agree, plus, we dont know whats going on with Market Square, if a tall building goes up there, they will match. I heard an interesting rumour at the Walper Barber shop that it is going to be torn down and two towers are being constructed Barbers hear a lot of things... Remember, source is the Barber shop talk ...

Anything's possible, but I think a refurbishment of Market Square is far more likely that a demolition/rebuid.  Although I do wonder whether the existing structure could serve as the podium of a taller structure.
I did question out of place, but it might have had more to do with just how a black rectangle looked on earth image (could be an aged rendering at that). I'm sure once it's there with it's modern(ish) design and podium, it'll blend. And as someone else pointed out, given all the plethora of other projects in DTK, it won't be a stand alone.
This is the cleared site for DTK. I don't understand filling the hole just to have it dug out again.

Based on what I saw as Charlie got built, which is a pretty weak set of anecdata, the fill was removed for remediation and new fill was added. Then all the piles were driven in, but to do that pile driving very heavy equipment had to drive around the plot a lot. My guess is that something about having basically level ground at street level makes that process considerably easier/cheaper than doing it in a partially dug out plot. Those pile driver machines are big and balancing them is probably a tricky process.
Also seen there are the walkways/hoardings. They're not complete yet, but both sidewalks will fully reopen when they do. Looks like all construction traffic will come in by Frederick from here on; good news for Ion reliability.

(12-20-2018, 07:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: Also seen there are the walkways/hoardings. They're not complete yet, but both sidewalks will fully reopen when they do. Looks like all construction traffic will come in by Frederick from here on; good news for Ion reliability.

Yes, according to the Regional Road Closures :  From: Thur 20 Dec, 2018
To: Mon 1 Jun, 2020
At 60 Frederick St

Kitchener
Partially Closed
Two-way traffic maintained; expect delays; pedestrian traffic maintained around work zone.

Other
(12-20-2018, 10:18 PM)Square Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 07:11 PM)KevinL Wrote: Also seen there are the walkways/hoardings. They're not complete yet, but both sidewalks will fully reopen when they do. Looks like all construction traffic will come in by Frederick from here on; good news for Ion reliability.

Yes, according to the Regional Road Closures :  From: Thur 20 Dec, 2018
To: Mon 1 Jun, 2020
At 60 Frederick St

Kitchener
Partially Closed
Two-way traffic maintained; expect delays; pedestrian traffic maintained around work zone.

Other

So I gather they expect the bulk of the work to be completed within 1 1/2 years. Nice.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »