Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Boathouse
(07-10-2015, 02:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Bolero was on Water St, iirc.  The idea is interesting but I have long wondered whether the situation of that building allows the retail space to be leased.  Who owns the unleased space, the bank? 

You're right, it was Water at King. I shouldn't have said "right on King," I should have said "very close to King."

(07-10-2015, 09:48 AM)Chris Wrote: This just occurred to me - what about Capers? The new landlord (Revel) wants to gentrify the shit out of that building. Maybe imbibe is the type of replacement they'd be looking for?

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4549...-building/

"At street level, Litt would ultimately like to see a number of small boutique retailers or restaurants – perhaps an extension of what's occurring on the nearby Duke Street food block."

If only Revel finished things...
(07-10-2015, 07:47 PM)Smore Wrote:
(07-10-2015, 09:48 AM)Chris Wrote: This just occurred to me - what about Capers? The new landlord (Revel) wants to gentrify the shit out of that building. Maybe imbibe is the type of replacement they'd be looking for?

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4549...-building/

"At street level, Litt would ultimately like to see a number of small boutique retailers or restaurants – perhaps an extension of what's occurring on the nearby Duke Street food block."

If only Revel finished things...

Or even started things in the case of the reported conversion of that building to high tech offices.
What is going on with the Boathouse now that Imbibe's owner has left? Is it being run solely by the owner of Ethel's now? What was the reason for them parting ways?
(07-31-2015, 07:34 AM)numberguy Wrote: What is going on with the Boathouse now that Imbibe's owner has left?    Is it being run solely by the owner of Ethel's now?   What was the reason for them parting ways?

I think so that he could focus solely on the opening of the new Imbibe.
The city is looking for a new tenant for the Boathouse. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/967...m_content=

What happened to the current tenant?
Fell behind in the rent, one assumes. I quite liked their outdoor space in the summer weather. Best patio in town, imo.

Quote:The facility is a popular venue for live music but suffers from a lack of nearby parking.

I should think that with the number of new residents and businesses in DTK the parking issue should be moot. And, yes, there is street parking available nearby.
(10-31-2019, 11:10 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
Quote:The facility is a popular venue for live music but suffers from a lack of nearby parking.

I should think that with the number of new residents and businesses in DTK the parking issue should be moot. And, yes, there is street parking available nearby.

There's also at least 75 spots in the park, between the lot at Jubilee/Devon, the one at the main pavilion, and the one by the playground.
(10-31-2019, 11:03 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Fell behind in the rent, one assumes.  I quite liked their outdoor space in the summer weather.  Best patio in town, imo.

No, not according to the article:

Quote:The city and Forwell had a 10-year lease, but the lease had provisions that allowed Forwell to exit earlier, Bennett said. "All the terms and conditions of the lease have been adhered to," he said in an interview.

Further in the article it mentioned:
Quote:The city awarded the contract for the Boathouse in early 2014 to Forwell and his then-partner Bill MacTavish, who were the sole remaining bidders in a process that had originally attracted six bids.

My guess either a falling out or another issue with Mr. MacTavish that created too much work for Mr. Forwell.
He bought out McTavish in 2015.
(10-31-2019, 11:10 AM)tomh009 Wrote:

Anytime I went there I never had a problem with parking,ever.  Bit some people expect to park a d walk 10 feet to the doorway....
(10-31-2019, 02:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: He bought out McTavish in 2015.

Interesting. Only thing I can think off is profits not as high as expected, or workload too heavy. Perhaps onto bigger and better things.

I have always enjoyed going The Boathouse for live music. Place isn't exactly cheap, but you're not expecting cheap.

(10-31-2019, 02:24 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Anytime I went there I never had a problem with parking,ever.  Bit some people expect to park a d walk 10 feet to the doorway....

Lots of truth to that. I'm not sure of parking was an issue for this joint, unless something something was happening this summer. I mean, though, we really don't know the reasons why. Could be many reason, and really, perhaps it's none of our business. It's the cities job now to find a new customer to set up shop.
Scuttlebutt on Reddit is that the tenants were happy with more casual activity to have quieter nights for patio patrons, but the city insisted on (loud) musical bookings that brought in a different crowd.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »