Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Theme
The sample video works for me. What am I missing?

I think his concern is with the shape of the embedded box - too wide and flat.
The shape of the embedded box depends on the width of your browser window -- resize the window and the box is resized, too. So I do believe this is the intended behaviour.
...so it’s intended to be wrong if you happen to have your browser window maximized?
I didn't write the software … Sad … but even if the preview box is "wrong", it's still functional.
I'm sorry, but I disagree:

I mean, it plays and at the correct aspect ratio. The letterboxing isn't ideal, but it's certainly a lower priority issue than the twitter embedding or the issues on mobile.

Absolutely agreed; just pointing out it is not the “intended behaviour.”
(05-27-2018, 08:57 PM)urbanprotocol Wrote: Spokes - I mean to use the desktop theme on desktop (and mobile). For me they're both on mobile theme with no way to switch back. Like others said, there used to be a button at the bottom to switch between themes which is now gone. Also, I cannot quote your reply which is why I didn't.

I'll play around with trying to get that option back.  At present time, I don't know how.
(05-28-2018, 12:12 PM)Canard Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 06:58 AM)Spokes Wrote: Anyone else having this issue?  I can edit no problem.

What device/OS are you using?

iPhone 6/iOS 11.3.1.

As others have mentioned the "Quick Edit" works, but the "Full Edit" does not, on mobile.  As my video shows the editing window is massive and way off to the side and it is impossible to place the cursor or scroll/pinch zoom or anything to access it.

I don't know why the editing window is big, it is for me too.  I think it's a software issue.  

I'll try to figure out why you can't edit, could be a permission thing
(05-28-2018, 12:17 PM)Canard Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 07:05 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are you trying to embed from the app or the site?

Either (assume you are asking if from Mobile or Desktop).  KevinL pointed out the solution;

This, unfortunately, is very cumbersome to generate.  You can't do it with YouTube's "share" button, since it uses the short link plus the ?t=0s code.  You have to get the title bar URL, delete the &feature=youtu.be code, then manually type the ?t=0s code, I guess.  (It is not possible to do this from the YouTube app on a mobile device in any capacity - so it's not possible to shoot a video in the field on a mobile device, upload to YouTube, and share to the forum.)

Test:

(I never use the button in the tool bar, I just type the code out since I'm familiar with it and I find it generally easier.)

What shortcode are you using that doesn't work.  I used both the mycode and button and both worked to embed a video using the full youtube link that you said doesn't work.  Although it is stretched too.  That might just be something we live with.

I can't control the linking system that youtube uses.
Looking at the source, I see that youtube embeds are set to be 70% of the width of the post, and 250px tall.
It seems like the theme author chose that as a compromise, as this theme is mobile responsive.  250px tall works for viewing on mobile. Any taller, and it starts to look absurd on mobile, with a huge amount of black space on top and bottom.
Good catch.

Looks like this page accurately describes the conundrum with embedded video:

https://css-tricks.com/NetMag/FluidWidth...hVideo.php

I, for one, don't expect Spokes to start troubleshooting/editing the theme with this much energy.
Thanks Markster. I don't mind giving it a try, but it'll have to wait till summer when I'm off. School is kicking my ass right now.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »