Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Downtown project directory
(Last updated 2020-11-28)

This is an attempt to create (and keep updated) a directory of all the active projects in downtown Kitchener and uptown Waterloo -- and midtown in between.  "Active" means demolition, excavation or construction: if there is only some concept but no activity, it will not be listed. Once a building permit has been issued, the project will be marked as "demolition", "excavation" or "construction".

(Proposed and completed projects not included.)

Project City Address Type Floors Status Developer
345 King St W
Kitchener 345 King St W Office + retail 4 Construction Perimeter
387-397 King St E
Kitchener 387-397 King St E Condo + office + retail 2 + 8 Excavation - PAUSED (Unknown)
475 King St E
Kitchener 475 King St E Residential + retail 23 + 19 Construction Drewlo
Arrow 2
Kitchener 120 Benton St Rental 15 Construction Auburn Developments
Charlie West
Kitchener 24 Gaukel St Condo + retail 31 Construction Momentum/Zehr
Civic 66
Kitchener 66 Weber St E Rental 11 Construction Killam Apartment REIT
Duke Tower Kitchener
Kitchener 78 Frederick St Residential + retail 39 Construction IN8
Garment Street Condos Kitchener 112 Victoria St S Condo + office + retail 23 + 6 Construction Momentum/Zehr
Glove Box
Kitchener 120 Victoria St S Office + retail 5 Construction Momentum
Market Flats
Kitchener 388-400 King St E Rental 7 Construction Vive
Mayfair Hotel redevelopment
Kitchener 260 King St W Office + retail 5 Construction Bernie Nimer
The Metz (Schneiders)
Kitchener Courtland Ave Rental + office + retail TBD Demolition Auburn
One Hundred
Kitchener 100 Victoria St S Condo 21 + 17 Construction Momentum
Ophelia
Kitchener 242-262 Queen St S Rental 10 Construction Vive
The Scott
Kitchener 59-65 Weber St E & 51-59 Scott St Rental 11 Construction Weber Investments
Station Park
Kitchener 607 King St W Residential + retail 28+18 Construction VanMar Developments
Young Condos
Kitchener 120 King St W Residential + retail 26 + 4 Construction Andrin

Project City Address Type Floors Status Developer
115 Erb St E
Waterloo 115 Erb St E Apartment 12 Construction Erb East
168 King St S
Waterloo 168 King St S Residential + retail 9 Construction Paramount
Barrel Yards
Waterloo 20 Barrel Yards Blvd Rental + office + hotel 25 + 22 + 22 + 18 + 12 + 10 Construction Auburn

Corrections and additions are most welcome!

A few notes -

I think construction might be complete on 195 Joseph?
345 King isn't under construction yet, is it?
American Block is supposed to be 6 stories, I had thought?
Circa 1877 I thiiiink is under construction - or at least, some demolition has occurred.
Thanks! The last info I had on the American Block plans (ohminc.ca/press-release/ohm-developments-has-fresh-plans-for-kitcheners-old-american-hotel/) was three floors, did I miss a later update?
100 Victoria St. S is listed twice? as 100 and 114 Victoria St.  Also 345 King St W is 6 stories.
I remember distinctly a render form the developer / owner / whoever that added 3 floors of glass on top of the existing facade, as well as changing the wall fronting Goudies Lane to be all glass. I cant seem to find that anywhere though.

The Queen St improvement plan, had an "unofficial" version of the same at this link: http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Coun...18a1ed1e83

But since the C of K has rebuilt their site, it's no longer accessible. Trying to figure out how to access it now...

(12-16-2017, 02:57 PM)Square Wrote: 100 Victoria St. S is listed twice? as 100 and 114 Victoria St.  Also 345 King St W is 6 stories.

114 Vic is the Huck Glove development, different than 100 Vic.
Huck is 120 Victoria is it not?
(12-16-2017, 03:08 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I remember distinctly a render form the developer / owner / whoever that added 3 floors of glass on top of the existing facade, as well as changing the wall fronting Goudies Lane to be all glass. I cant seem to find that anywhere though.

The Queen St improvement plan, had an "unofficial" version of the same at this link: http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Coun...18a1ed1e83

But since the C of K has rebuilt their site, it's no longer accessible. Trying to figure out how to access it now...

(12-16-2017, 02:57 PM)Square Wrote: 100 Victoria St. S is listed twice? as 100 and 114 Victoria St.  Also 345 King St W is 6 stories.

114 Vic is the Huck Glove development, different than 100 Vic.

Here is a link from the Record about the American Hotel : https://www.therecord.com/news-story/759...itchener-/

Thanks. Have updated American Hotel and also added 334 King W and 624 King W (although info is limited on both of those).
This came together really nicely!! Well done. I'm going to sticky it as a great resource.

Does it make sense to link projects to their corresponding threads if they exist?
I find "Schneiders" mis-placed on that list. It is central city, but by no means "Downtown".
(12-16-2017, 07:25 PM)Spokes Wrote: This came together really nicely!! Well done.  I'm going to sticky it as a great resource.

Does it make sense to link projects to their corresponding threads if they exist?

Thanks.  And, yes, it does make sense.  I'll get that done, but not tonight. Smile

Any other opinions on include/exclude Schneiders? I don't have a strong view on this so I'm happy to go with the consensus.
I would absolutley include it. To me downtown isn't just "where the tall buildings currently are", it's the encapsultaing area that downtown is rapidly expanding into. If we're including King East down to Ottawa as "downtown", the Schneider's sit should absolutely be a part of that.
(12-17-2017, 02:25 AM)GtwoK Wrote: I would absolutley include it. To me downtown isn't just "where the tall buildings currently are", it's the encapsultaing area that downtown is rapidly expanding into. If we're including King East down to Ottawa as "downtown", the Schneider's sit should absolutely be a part of that.

Are we?  I thought that King E beyond Cedar (Cameron at a stretch) was considered "King East" rather than "Downtown".

It's not Downtown BIA ... but it's discussed in the WRC "Downtowns" forum. Smile Maybe that should be the defining criterion?
(12-16-2017, 07:25 PM)Spokes Wrote: This came together really nicely!! Well done.  I'm going to sticky it as a great resource.

Have started adding links (both to the pages and to the official sites, where they exist). Not done quite yet though ...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »