Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spur Line Trail
I've seen the kitchener security patrols drive around vic park, and in the summer the by-law officers drive dirtbikes around the trails and parks but I've never seen the kitchener security guys out of their white jeeps. During christmas time there is sometimes a private security guard in the park but I think their job is to watch the christmas decorations in case of vandalism.

I used the iron horse extensively when I was working nights, it's pretty abandoned most of the time at night. Recently I've noticed a lot more "urban campers" setting up in the bush along the trail but I would wager the cold has finally driven them to other places.

(12-11-2015, 11:33 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 11:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You could not pay me enough to be on the Iron Horse or any other unlit trail after dark, let alone after 11pm.  Talk about asking for trouble!

I agree with you on this, but my understanding was that the lights are modern and designed to minimize light pollution. If that's true, and having them on won't bother neighbours, I think it should be kept lit to allow people who want to use it the opportunity. I really think the 7:00am opening is arbitrary- for me, that means some days I'll be breaking the rules if I bike on it to the office.

But are they self-powered (i.e. LEDs driven by batteries that are recharged by solar panels)? I inferred that they're not because the recent article about the trail talked about stolen wiring. If they rely on AC power then I suppose there's a power-saving argument in shutting the trail down after 11pm. But I agree that it's a silly argument. 

(I sincerely hope I'm mistaken that the cities chose the less environmentally-conscious approach to lighting the trail. )
(12-11-2015, 12:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 12:06 PM)plam Wrote: The Iron Horse Trail is transportation (among other things) and sometimes it turns out I'm out after dark...

At which time I would strongly urge any cyclist to stick to the city streets.  That might constitute a choice between risks for some, but I know which I would choose.

Yeah, I think I'd take my chances with our relatively low crime rate vs our relatively low getting-hit-by-car rate.

I'm pretty sure they realigned the railway crossing someone else mentioned though.
(12-11-2015, 11:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You could not pay me enough to be on the Iron Horse or any other unlit trail after dark, let alone after 11pm. Talk about asking for trouble!

In some places you are looking for trouble on the Iron Horse Trail in the daytime with (I will be kind) wayward persons looking for "free things". IMO this is mainly restricted to the Downtown areas near Victoria Park. Mostly from the St.Joseph's School area to the other side of Courtland near downtown Kitchener. The people who live along side the trail won't even use it.
(12-12-2015, 02:02 AM)MacBerry Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 11:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You could not pay me enough to be on the Iron Horse or any other unlit trail after dark, let alone after 11pm. Talk about asking for trouble!

In some places you are looking for trouble on the Iron Horse Trail in the daytime with (I will be kind) wayward persons looking for "free things". IMO this is mainly restricted to the Downtown areas near Victoria Park. Mostly from the St.Joseph's School area to the other side of Courtland near downtown Kitchener. The people who live along side the trail won't even use it.

Hmmmm?  I have walked the trail a number of times between Borden and Victoria Park (will do so more next summer now that we moved downtown), mostly around lunchtime.  Have yet to be harassed by anyone, or even encountered people who looked like they might harass someone.  Maybe I'm lucky, or just walking the wrong parts of the trail?
(12-12-2015, 06:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-12-2015, 02:02 AM)MacBerry Wrote: In some places you are looking for trouble on the Iron Horse Trail in the daytime with (I will be kind) wayward persons looking for "free things". IMO this is mainly restricted to the Downtown areas near Victoria Park. Mostly from the St.Joseph's School area to the other side of Courtland near downtown Kitchener. The people who live along side the trail won't even use it.

Hmmmm?  I have walked the trail a number of times between Borden and Victoria Park (will do so more next summer now that we moved downtown), mostly around lunchtime.  Have yet to be harassed by anyone, or even encountered people who looked like they might harass someone.  Maybe I'm lucky, or just walking the wrong parts of the trail?

I'd say you were walking on the right parts of the trail.  Wink
(12-12-2015, 06:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Hmmmm?  I have walked the trail a number of times between Borden and Victoria Park (will do so more next summer now that we moved downtown), mostly around lunchtime.  Have yet to be harassed by anyone, or even encountered people who looked like they might harass someone.  Maybe I'm lucky, or just walking the wrong parts of the trail?

I agree. I've travelled the Iron Horse Trail from end to end many times, at all times of day and night, and have never come across any "wayward persons". Just lucky I guess. Unless maybe I'm one of the wayward people. But I've never caused any trouble before.

I have traveled the Iron Horse Trail countless times at all times of the day often after 11pm and I have never had a problem. My route was from the north end of the Laurel Trail all the way to Mill St or Queen st.
After many moons of issues, the Spur Line Trail is finally navigable by Google Map Directions!
Great news.
The border between Waterloo and Kitchener becomes painfully obvious in the winter:

(12-16-2017, 05:36 PM)Canard Wrote: The border between Waterloo and Kitchener becomes painfully obvious in the winter:

Craziness. Thanks for the graphic demonstration! I had wondered about your earlier photo posting (or maybe it was on Twitter) of the Spur Line because it was so different from what I see on the portions of sidewalk near my house that are cleared by the City of Waterloo. I guess this answers my question.
(12-16-2017, 05:36 PM)Canard Wrote: The border between Waterloo and Kitchener becomes painfully obvious in the winter:

This is an excellent example to forward though to City Counsel,  forget going through department staff.  They will bury it because it is embarrassing and shows how poorly they are doing their job.

Someone retweeted it at Berry, who said he’d bring it up with staff.

I really hope I wasn’t too hard on them and they just happened to catch the snow cycle at the wrong time. I can’t remember if it was like this last year or not.
I suspect it was more a matter of timing. I remember a number of times in the past few winters where the City of Waterloo dropped the ball big time. There was a section of Laurelwood that didn't get plowed for well over a month a year or two ago.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »