Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spur Line Trail
The Iron Horse is officially closed for those hours or similar... I think it has to do with a city by-law saying that parks are closed during that time. The lights at Victoria Park stay on all night though even though it's technically closed. It would be pretty stupid to build those nice lights only so they can be used from dusk-23:00.

(12-08-2015, 05:56 PM)clasher Wrote: The Iron Horse is officially closed for those hours or similar... I think it has to do with a city by-law saying that parks are closed during that time. The lights at Victoria Park stay on all night though even though it's technically closed. It would be pretty stupid to build those nice lights only so they can be used from dusk-23:00.

Interesting point. However, these signs specifically refer to railway operating hours and do not mention park hours.

I also think it’s ridiculous that a transportation route would be closed overnight. This is just another example of non-motorized traffic being considered second-class. Maybe if King St. closed overnight a reasonable discussion could be had as to whether the spur line or Iron Horse should also close overnight.
(12-08-2015, 05:34 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I haven’t seen the lights on yet. However there are now signs up at the William/Willow St. crossing and I suspect probably at other crossings as well warning people to stay off the tracks “active railway” and a smaller sign advising that the trail is closed 23:00-07:00 until July 2017 due to rail operations.

No lights tonight.

Also noticed cute little signs, marking intersecting streets and also both walking and biking time to landmarks.
Saw electrical work being done on the lights on my way into work this morning at Regina.
(12-08-2015, 09:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I also think it’s ridiculous that a transportation route would be closed overnight. This is just another example of non-motorized traffic being considered second-class. Maybe if King St. closed overnight a reasonable discussion could be had as to whether the spur line or Iron Horse should also close overnight.

I always assume those hours for park closures exist to give police an excuse to remove "undesirable" people after dark. I wouldn't worry about it.
(12-11-2015, 10:43 AM)timc Wrote: I always assume those hours for park closures exist to give police an excuse to remove "undesirable" people after dark. I wouldn't worry about it.

But what if police decide for some reason that I am "undesirable"?
(12-11-2015, 10:59 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 10:43 AM)timc Wrote: I always assume those hours for park closures exist to give police an excuse to remove "undesirable" people after dark. I wouldn't worry about it.

But what if police decide for some reason that I am "undesirable"?

Simple! Just look less homeless/criminal/poor/non-white! Problem solved!

Seriously though, yeah. I also dislike these arbitrary closures.

You could not pay me enough to be on the Iron Horse or any other unlit trail after dark, let alone after 11pm. Talk about asking for trouble!
(12-11-2015, 11:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You could not pay me enough to be on the Iron Horse or any other unlit trail after dark, let alone after 11pm. Talk about asking for trouble!

I agree with you on this, but my understanding was that the lights are modern and designed to minimize light pollution. If that's true, and having them on won't bother neighbours, I think it should be kept lit to allow people who want to use it the opportunity. I really think the 7:00am opening is arbitrary- for me, that means some days I'll be breaking the rules if I bike on it to the office.
(12-11-2015, 11:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You could not pay me enough to be on the Iron Horse or any other unlit trail after dark, let alone after 11pm.  Talk about asking for trouble!

I would tend to agree with you, although it's a shame this is where we're at.

Is the goal of the lights to not only light the trail, but also to make it feel safer?
(12-11-2015, 11:43 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 11:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You could not pay me enough to be on the Iron Horse or any other unlit trail after dark, let alone after 11pm.  Talk about asking for trouble!

I would tend to agree with you, although it's a shame this is where we're at.

Is the goal of the lights to not only light the trail, but also to make it feel safer?

Well, lighting is an important element of public safety, so I would say it is actually the main reason to light a recreational trail.

By the way, I see that they are putting in a crosswalk on Stirling at Homer Watson - it seems to be intended to knit together the trail in Lakeside Park with the one that follows Shoemaker Creek out by the soccer fields off Homer Watson.

The Iron Horse Trail is transportation (among other things) and sometimes it turns out I'm out after dark...
(12-11-2015, 12:06 PM)plam Wrote:

The Iron Horse Trail is transportation (among other things) and sometimes it turns out I'm out after dark...

At which time I would strongly urge any cyclist to stick to the city streets.  That might constitute a choice between risks for some, but I know which I would choose.

I feel the "closing" of the trail is to defer responsibility for providing safety. A man died on the Iron Horse trail because of the lack of lighting, and people are constantly injuring themselves at the rail road crossing : http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2582...rse-trail/ . IANAL, but I imagine the city can defer blame to the victim for riding on a "closed" trail. It doesn't look like the family of the deceased victim ever sued the city.

I'm not sure how this extends to policing responsibility. I feel the same victim blaming can be used as a defence for people that are assaulted during closed hours.
(12-11-2015, 12:20 PM)Andy Wrote: I feel the "closing" of the trail is to defer responsibility for providing safety. A man died on the Iron Horse trail because of the lack of lighting, and people are constantly injuring themselves at the rail road crossing : http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2582...rse-trail/ . IANAL, but I imagine the city can defer blame to the victim for riding on a "closed" trail. It doesn't look like the family of the deceased victim ever sued the city.

I'm not sure how this extends to policing responsibility. I feel the same victim blaming can be used as a defence for people that are assaulted during closed hours.

I couldn't swear to it, but I believe that the trail, like the Park, is patrolled at night, at least occasionally.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »