Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
There are a good number of recently built/under construction apartment towers in Kitchener, but they are in the suburbs rather than Downtown.  I am thinking, for example, of the four tower complex down off Block Line Road and the tower that has gone up near Homer Watson Blvd.

They will be well-placed once the Block Line station is operational, but right now they're a bit distant compared to downtown.

The only new build rentals I can think of in Cambridge are the faceless blocks behind Cambridge Centre and the Wellington Square buildings at Main and Wellington in Galt. Everything else is 70s or a loft conversion of an older building - and not necessarily affordable to most.
(11-16-2014, 12:44 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: That tells me we need more new rental properties in the area. A lot of the rentals in KWC are either old as the hills, student googolplexes, or featureless concrete slabs.

I seem to remember hearing that KWC has one of the lowest rental vacancy rates in the province.
(11-16-2014, 06:14 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, exactly.  Why does Waterloo get tower after tower of rentals, but nothing new goes up in Kitchener?

The BarrelYards has certainly altered this landscape considerably given that 4 new towers are going to come onto the market.  But a year ago, many of us thought that that would be 2 rental towers and 2 condo towers.
(11-17-2014, 07:57 AM)Spokes Wrote: The BarrelYards has certainly altered this landscape considerably given that 4 new towers are going to come onto the market.  But a year ago, many of us thought that that would be 2 rental towers and 2 condo towers.

I asked the developer about that. He suggested that while the 2+2 model was proposed, because they were building it with their own money before sales it financially worked for them to make them all rentals in the short term with the intention of converting to condos later. 

Seeing as most condos end up as rentals anyhow I think it is really tomato - tomat-o.
There are still a few units left in this building. My personal guess as to occupancy is somewhere between an optimistic early Fall 2015 and a pessimistic late Winter 2016.
Dec 7, 2014

[Image: GL6jgbU.png]

[Image: rX72nsz.png]

[Image: HesbDBq.png]

Sunday Dec 14, 2014
[Image: B41_EbqCYAESKNZ.jpg:large]
There are some new builds out on Lackner (Fairway) too aren't there?
I'm happy to see a developer addressing multiple issues at once. So often here developers will finish the structure, then go to step x, then y, then z, when some of them can be done at the same time.
Is that grey slab the same material that will form the street wall on King Street? Anyone have any thoughts? I have not gone for a close look.
Cheers. It all looked similar in the rendering, so I was wondering if it would be slabs. If it's brick, so much the better. There will be four storeys of it along King, so I'm pretty curious how it looks.
Am I wrong in assuming that the crane will need to be raised?

(01-17-2015, 09:46 PM)Lens Wrote: Am I wrong in assuming that the crane will need to be raised?

They need to build the building up to support the crane before it gets jacked up.
[Image: 15714506314_1199e20fa6_b.jpg]Downtown Rising by Matt M S, on Flickr
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »