Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
(03-03-2015, 10:02 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Scotiabank is interesting.  I hope that doesn't mean they're thinking of closing the main King St branch.

I hope so too.

I thought I saw something about the facade of that Scotia location being protected.  I could be wrong.

(03-04-2015, 01:21 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I'm surprised Starbucks is opening there and not the transit hub. Either way I'm thrilled there finally opening a location in Downtown.

Maybe they feel like they can get the same exposure but get started earlier.
(03-04-2015, 08:01 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 01:21 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I'm surprised Starbucks is opening there and not the transit hub. Either way I'm thrilled there finally opening a location in Downtown.

Maybe they feel like they can get the same exposure but get started earlier.

The way Starbucks operates, they'll have both locations. There is a Starbucks in WLU and one across the street in the NorthWest corner of University and King.

Similarly, there is a Starbucks in Union Station in Toronto, and four more within a 200m walk.

1 Victoria will get them street exposure, which the transit hub probably would not, so it makes sense to me.  (I suspect it's too early for multiple downtown locations yet, and even then something closer to King/Queen would make sense for a second one.)
...how are Scotiabank and Starbucks now known as tenants, exactly?
Businesses can't plan around moving into the Transit Hub, as there is still no concrete information about it. We simply know that it will exist, at some point. We don't know construction start dates or phasing. We don't know anything about retail sizes, placement, or rents. It's pretty much impossible to make plans around at this time.

One Victoria, meanwhile, will be ready for leasing within a year.

(03-04-2015, 12:20 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: ...how are Scotiabank and Starbucks now known as tenants, exactly?
Also this.
(03-04-2015, 12:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 1 Victoria will get them street exposure, which the transit hub probably would not, so it makes sense to me.  (I suspect it's too early for multiple downtown locations yet, and even then something closer to King/Queen would make sense for a second one.)

I agree that downtown cannot support two locations just yet. But the Victoria Station is not a downtown location. It's customers wouldn't be downtown visitors, but people transiting through from one form of transportation to another.

This means that 1 Victoria would be the sole Kitchener location inside Highway 7-8.

I'm not the most bullish of persons when it comes to downtown Kitchener, but surely the entirety of Kitchener inside Highway 7-8 can support one Starbucks?

(03-04-2015, 12:20 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: ...how are Scotiabank and Starbucks now known as tenants, exactly?

For what is worth, the 1 Victoria brochure has the Starbucks logo plastered in several pages.
(03-04-2015, 02:54 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I agree that downtown cannot support two locations just yet. But the Victoria Station is not a downtown location. It's customers wouldn't be downtown visitors, but people transiting through from one form of transportation to another.

This means that 1 Victoria would be the sole Kitchener location inside Highway 7-8.

I'm not the most bullish of persons when it comes to downtown Kitchener, but surely the entirety of Kitchener inside Highway 7-8 can support one Starbucks?

I think that this type of location probably wouldn't drive a lot of visits from the suburbs. I think that limited parking and no drive-through (both good things...) mean that it probably won't generate a lot of visitors from afar.

I actually do think that downtown Kitchener can support at least two Starbucks locations (I'm not saying this as a desireable outcome, but it is a good sign when they do come), though probably not both at King/Victoria. I agree that towards King/Queen or the market would be more likely. But the Innovation District definitely justifies one in its own right.
(03-04-2015, 02:54 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I agree that downtown cannot support two locations just yet. But the Victoria Station is not a downtown location. It's customers wouldn't be downtown visitors, but people transiting through from one form of transportation to another.

But even those people, transferring between trains, LRT and buses, can easily cross the street to get a coffee.  An extra two minutes as compared to visiting a location inside Victoria Station. 

I won't bet against a Timmy's inside the station, though: in the end, it's still much more popular than Starbucks in this country.
Does the Starbucks on Ira Needles between Highland and Victoria count as the inside of Highway 7/8? I would say this would be the first Starbucks added in Kitchener within the established city. It's a good sign when a major brand decides to open downtown. Although we still need a Tim's in the core.
I consider Highway 70 the end of town. The Tim Hortons closest to downtown is at Frederick and Lancaster. Mind you Waterloo doesn't have a Timmies any closer to uptown. The one in King and Spring in Waterloo is pretty far.
(03-04-2015, 06:49 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Does the Starbucks on Ira Needles between Highland and Victoria count as the inside of Highway 7/8? I would say this would be the first Starbucks added in Kitchener within the established city. It's a good sign when a major brand decides to open downtown. Although we still need a Tim's in the core.

The Tim's on Borden is essentially in the core. It appears to be highly patronized by prostitutes however, so it isn't classy.

There is a Starbucks on Fairway, by the Winners Home Sense Plaza as well as the first one in Kitchener at the Chapter's.
(03-05-2015, 08:18 AM)LakesidePark Wrote: There is a Starbucks on Fairway, by the Winners Home Sense Plaza as well as the first one in Kitchener at the Chapter's.

....and one in Ottawa street in the Sunshine centre, but all of them outside the Highway 7/8/70 perimeter.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »