Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
Is that grey slab the same material that will form the street wall on King Street? Anyone have any thoughts? I have not gone for a close look.
(12-30-2014, 12:44 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Is that grey slab the same material that will form the street wall on King Street? Anyone have any thoughts? I have not gone for a close look.

The King Street side and the exterior walls that are not covered in windows will be a dark gray coloured brick similar in colour to the slabs.
Cheers. It all looked similar in the rendering, so I was wondering if it would be slabs. If it's brick, so much the better. There will be four storeys of it along King, so I'm pretty curious how it looks.
They are up to the 8th floor. Progress is slower in the cold weather.

Attached Files Image(s)

Am I wrong in assuming that the crane will need to be raised?
Probably three more floors or so and then they'll raise it.
(01-17-2015, 08:46 PM)Lens Wrote: Am I wrong in assuming that the crane will need to be raised?

They need to build the building up to support the crane before it gets jacked up.
[Image: 15714506314_1199e20fa6_b.jpg]Downtown Rising by Matt M S, on Flickr
(01-22-2015, 06:59 AM)Spokes Wrote: Downtown Rising by Matt M S, on Flickr

Very nice!
It's amazing to see the transformation of that part of town. I'm old enough to remember the abandoned chemical factory, the abandoned Kaufman building, the parking lot where Ziggy's is now, the parking lot where the new Beer Store is now, the old parking lot with the Korean convenience store in an A frame building in disrepair and the abandoned Breihaupt block.

They are starting on the 9th floor at 1 Victoria. More gray stone panels are getting installed.
(01-22-2015, 01:49 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: It's amazing to see the transformation of that part of town. I'm old enough to remember the abandoned chemical factory, the abandoned Kaufman building, the parking lot where Ziggy's is now, the parking lot where the new Beer Store is now, the old parking lot with the Korean convenience store in an A frame building in disrepair and the abandoned Breihaupt block.

As I recall, that Korean convenience store was a donut shop until sometime in the 80s ...
(01-23-2015, 12:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-22-2015, 01:49 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: It's amazing to see the transformation of that part of town. I'm old enough to remember the abandoned chemical factory, the abandoned Kaufman building, the parking lot where Ziggy's is now, the parking lot where the new Beer Store is now, the old parking lot with the Korean convenience store in an A frame building in disrepair and the abandoned Breihaupt block.

As I recall, that Korean convenience store was a donut shop until sometime in the 80s ...

That is true. It closed in the early 1990s.
(01-23-2015, 01:59 PM)The85 Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 12:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: As I recall, that Korean convenience store was a donut shop until sometime in the 80s ...

That is true. It closed in the early 1990s.

It can't have closed in the early 1990's, I remember going there before/after shows at The Volcano in the late 90's - or was it a diner or something else in the interim?

I took some pictures of the building just before it was torn down in 2010 - they still had the donut and drive-thru signs up, and I was tempted to find the construction people and try and bribe them for that awesome tiny donut in a cup sign:

[Image: 4572535152_9d600e1679.jpg]

[Image: 4571892053_7ce80aaf13.jpg]  [Image: 4572539198_5207453dae.jpg]
Did this Korean store end up moving to the LBCO/Dake plaza? There's a Korean store there now and I was wondering if it's the same store. If it is, they will have to move again since the plaza is set to be redeveloped at some point.