Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
(01-27-2016, 01:37 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 09:40 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I'd hold pause on Scotiabank speculation. It's not the smallest ground level commercial, but to split it between a Scotiabank and a Starbucks, you'd have to expect that both would be on the small side.

Really? Thinking back to the size of the TriOS college+Carbon computing it seems to me that there is ample space for a bank branch and a Starbucks there.

Elevators, stairs, mechanical, multiple exits, the main entryway, increased outside space/sidewalk, exterior vehicle access improvements, ramps for internal parking, all internal parking footprint... it doesn't leave as much as you might think.

From what I can tell, the entrance closest to uHaul is the main entrance (given I can see elevators), but those doors also have many interact/visa logo stickers on them already. Currently, the entire King frontage seems to be set up as one space (though hardly any internal developments). It doesn't seem as big as you might think.

If, somehow, the ground floor was Scotiabank and Scotiabank alone (which sizing would tell me is possible), it would be a huge facepalm moment IMO, guaranteeing that 3/4 of the focal intersection in Kitchener is....pointless to 90%+ of people, and dead.

(01-27-2016, 12:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's a good location, but with Williams, Matter of Taste, Coffee Culture and Cafe Pyrus already in downtown, Starbucks will have some competition.  But it would be the closest one for Google and UW employees, for sure.

The Dispensary in the Pharmacy building would continue to be their closest choice for coffee during working hours.

There's a lot of competition, but it's still a great location, and I think Starbucks attracts patrons from larger catchment areas than independent coffee shops could hope.

Viewfromthe42, you're so right that if Scotiabank were the sole tenant here, it would be an unfortunate development. Something that attracts more foot traffic would be much better- a Starbucks would be excellent.
If they put up a sign that says "Lease this space" and a business like Scotiabank says "Ok, we'll take that" - who are we to say it's bad? They paid, they get the space.

This is sort of like the Kaufman lofts parking lot discussion. ITS THEIR LOT. They own it. It's not yours to choose to "redevelop" it. When I lived there I literally owned my parking spot - it was mine.
Canard, if that's true then what's the point of zoning? It's my lot, I can build what I want on it. Zoned for retail and I want to put in an office? Good luck with saying "too bad, it's my lot" at city council.

As citizens we get to have an opinion on how things should be zoned, as they are zoned by our democratically elected government.

Even without getting into zoning we can be disappointed with a decision. People here can be disappointed there's a Scotiabank going in just like you're disappointed ION is LRT and not monorail.
(01-27-2016, 06:42 PM)Canard Wrote: If they put up a sign that says "Lease this space" and a business like Scotiabank says "Ok, we'll take that" - who are we to say it's bad? They paid, they get the space.

LOL, then what is the point of this board? The city belong to everyone and we can all share our opinions on which way it develops. It's not like most people here can really change the course of development all that much anyway so I don't know what prompts some people to snark about private property rights; the same comment cropped up in the thread about the Bell Canada building... sheesh you'd think people are suggesting that we nationalize everything and that this board is gonna be playing simcity with people's property.
(01-27-2016, 07:59 PM)clasher Wrote: LOL, then what is the point of this board? The city belong to everyone and we can all share our opinions on which way it develops. It's not like most people here can really change the course of development all that much anyway so I don't know what prompts some people to snark about private property rights; the same comment cropped up in the thread about the Bell Canada building... sheesh you'd think people are suggesting that we nationalize everything and that this board is gonna be playing simcity with people's property.

Spot on with this, clasher. Canard, Viewfromthe42 was expressing his opinion about what he would like to see in this space, and I was agreeing with his opinion. 90% of what's posted on here shouldn't be if we're not allowed to express our opinions on what is, yes, other people's property. It's just his opinion of what he personally would like to see. Regarding Kaufman Lofts, that's just people's opinions about the quality of the street presence of the building. Good for you that you owned the spot, but it really escapes me why someone else shouldn't be able to state an opinion about it on this board.
Well, I guess to me it really comes off as "I'm walking by your house and I don't like the flowers in your flowerbed".  It's my flowerbed...

(01-27-2016, 06:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Canard, if that's true then what's the point of zoning? It's my lot, I can build what I want on it. Zoned for retail and I want to put in an office? Good luck with saying "too bad, it's my lot" at city council.

But that's not what's being said here. Scotiabank = Commercial, yes? So is it not allowed to be there? I read the previous few posts as no, it should not be there. What would you prefer?

Quote:As citizens we get to have an opinion on how things should be zoned, as they are zoned by our democratically elected government.

How they are ZONED, yes, sure. But not exactly what business goes there - that's what I have a bit of a beef with.

(01-27-2016, 06:42 PM)Canard Wrote: If they put up a sign that says "Lease this space" and a business like Scotiabank says "Ok, we'll take that" - who are we to say it's bad?  They paid, they get the space.

Well, for one thing, the developer should care and probably does. If they can get a tenant that adds more life to the street and provides more of a public amenity, it's good not just for passers-by, but also for current and prospective condo owners.
(01-27-2016, 10:37 PM)Canard Wrote: Well, I guess to me it really comes off as "I'm walking by your house and I don't like the flowers in your flowerbed".  It's my flowerbed...

(01-27-2016, 06:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Canard, if that's true then what's the point of zoning? It's my lot, I can build what I want on it. Zoned for retail and I want to put in an office? Good luck with saying "too bad, it's my lot" at city council.

But that's not what's being said here.  Scotiabank = Commercial, yes?  So is it not allowed to be there?  I read the previous few posts as no, it should not be there.  What would you prefer?

Zoning is A LOT more specific than just commercial/residential/industrial. The city can and does specify exactly what types of businesses are allowed. They could easily forbid banks, or something as specific as peanut butter production. All of Kitchener's mixed use corridor zones have specific rules about not allowing any car-focused business. Want to sell automotive supplies? You're out of luck, even though it's just as much retail as clothing.

(01-27-2016, 10:37 PM)Canard Wrote:
Quote:As citizens we get to have an opinion on how things should be zoned, as they are zoned by our democratically elected government.

How they are ZONED, yes, sure.  But not exactly what business goes there - that's what I have a bit of a beef with.

Exactly what business goes there would be complaining it was a Scotiabank rather than a TD. Disliking that a bank is there is disliking a category of business.

In any case, I was using zoning as an example. It's just opinions, no one here is proposing actually putting it in the zoning rules.
(01-27-2016, 10:37 PM)Canard Wrote: Well, I guess to me it really comes off as "I'm walking by your house and I don't like the flowers in your flowerbed".  It's my flowerbed...

But by that measure, no one here should be complaining about (or suggest improvements to) architecture or design of new buildings, unless they are owned by the government.  Let alone complaining about a bar or restaurant ...

But that's not what's being said here.  Scotiabank = Commercial, yes?  So is it not allowed to be there?  I read the previous few posts as no, it should not be there.  What would you prefer?

How they are ZONED, yes, sure.  But not exactly what business goes there - that's what I have a bit of a beef with.

If you want to see what a city looks like before zoning happens, go to Hamilton. Drive across Hamilton on any significant or major street in the area below the mountain and you will see messed up and in my opiinion no hope to fix the mess that exists (house, dentist office, car service in a back garage, house, bank, bakery, used auto parts ... SHAKE and mix and reapply) There you have Hamilton's significant streetscape below the mountain.
Noticed tonight, while driving Westward on Victoria around 5pm: the bottom few units on that rounded corner facing King / Vic are COMPLETELY exposed to the city. You can see everything that's happening in them. I could just about tell what the guy on the 2nd floor was cooking for dinner, even. And considering the shape of these wrap-around windows, it's not exactly like you can just hang curtains on them.
Not uncommon in urban condo living.

Only exhibitionists need apply. Or those willing to have drapes drawn most of the time.

LOL, yup. We lived for 5 years at the Kaufman lofts with no blinds. You wanna look - have at it. Smile
With loft-style units is that it's sometimes hard to find window coverings that fit, even if the windows aren't rounded, so the developer of our building supplied fairly decent roll-down blinds for everyone.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »