Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Wanted
Is it possible for someone on WRC to create a map of Waterloo Region showing new, proposed or under construction building projects?  If it was interactive that would be great.  And if that's not possible on WRC then a link to the map would be just as good.  It would be nice if all the building projects were represented by a dot and a mouse rollover would bring up a render of the project and perhaps a link to a thread on WRC.

Something like this? http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=323
(11-12-2017, 11:39 PM)Andy Wrote: Something like this? http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=323

Yes, I was thinking of something similar.
A bit curious how that map is Kitchener-only. Even as a Kitchener resident, Waterloo Region-wide is far more interesting and relevant to me.
It's just how the data is sorted. There's seperate maps for every municipality. http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=317

Not sure why they don't just have a map showing all the data, unless I'm missing something.
It's also odd that the map is clustered around the downtown cores. While I realize that that is where most of the development is occurring, it misses projects such as the senior's apartments at Ira Needles/Erb in Waterloo which is definitely above the 35 m lower limit or the University Gates project at Fisher-Hallman and Laurelwood.
Don't forget, this is a site that wanted to call Preston and Hespeler "suburban".

I don't think Waterloo Region is easily understood by people who haven't actually lived here for awhile and as far as I know, there are very few people on SSP from this area.
(11-13-2017, 06:54 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't think Waterloo Region is easily understood by people who haven't actually lived here for awhile and as far as I know, there are very few people on SSP from this area.

Yeah, very few.

For those that don't know: There used to be a lot of us, so many we had one of the most active Canadian forums on SSP, but eventually there was a desire for more independence and everyone left for Wonderful Waterloo. Wonderful Waterloo caused some drama on SSP, with the word even getting censored in their forum software. The sudden shutdown of Wonderful Waterloo lead to the creation of Waterloo Region Connected.

I do miss some of the features like the building database, but overall WRC is a much better place for the community than SSP given our size.
I have been on SSP since 08 (Canada section mostly, and Current Events, mostly US) but rarely post. Though I did make a post tonight for the first time in a long time, and it was to recommend Debrodniks Donuts in Kitchener. Big Grin

I read a lot of threads in the SSP Canada section and they can be very informative, but man some of them behave like children at times. There are some serious inferiority complexes there and it can get a bit snarly.
But there are some brilliant and funny posters too.

I really enjoy this forum though. As I have said before, it is a civil and respectful forum, even when people disagree passionately.
(11-14-2017, 01:45 AM)taylortbb Wrote: For those that don't know: There used to be a lot of us, so many we had one of the most active Canadian forums on SSP, but eventually there was a desire for more independence and everyone left for Wonderful Waterloo. Wonderful Waterloo caused some drama on SSP, with the word even getting censored in their forum software. The sudden shutdown of Wonderful Waterloo lead to the creation of Waterloo Region Connected.

I do miss some of the features like the building database, but overall WRC is a much better place for the community than SSP given our size.

Wow, thanks for the history! That's really interesting.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »