Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Garment Street Condos | 25 & 6 fl | U/C
(04-10-2022, 11:50 AM)Serendipity Wrote: Looks like delayed closings once again for this last tower due to a flood.

"On March 26, 2022, a pipe burst on the 18th floor of the Garment Street condominium development, allowing water to flood throughout the building over the next 36 hours. The flooding has resulted in significant damage to various components of the building. The clean-up process is well underway and the damage to the building is being assessed by 114-120 Victoria Street South Inc., and the construction team."

Smooth not to mention the developer or builder by name.

Anyone have any information on the extent of the damage? How many floors were affected?
(04-11-2022, 11:12 AM)JK2021 Wrote: Anyone have any information on the extent of the damage? How many floors were affected?

I'd taken a photo on the 29th which gives some indication.

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-11-2022, 03:21 PM)jeremyroman Wrote:
(04-11-2022, 11:12 AM)JK2021 Wrote: Anyone have any information on the extent of the damage? How many floors were affected?

I'd taken a photo on the 29th which gives some indication.

Ok thank you! That helps me get a better understanding of it. Looks serious! At least it appears to be contained in that area but it’s hard to know what’s happened on each floor.
Did the pool get installed on the wrong floor?

In all seriousness, I can't begin to imagine what kind of remediation might be needed to make sure that moisture isn't left in odd spots to breed black mold.
(04-11-2022, 11:19 PM)nms Wrote: Did the pool get installed on the wrong floor?

In all seriousness, I can't begin to imagine what kind of remediation might be needed to make sure that moisture isn't left in odd spots to breed black mold.

It's an extremely expensive mistake to correct properly. I'm skeptical they'll be able to remediate 100%
The water pooled and poured out of the balconies. I don't know where the pipe is exactly located within the footprint of the building itself, but suffice to say those units are WRECKED. Water ran for 36hrs.

By all estimates this will delay occupancy by 3+ months.

Yikes. That's going to be extremely costly to repair.
Unsure if its related, but walking by a couple days ago I noticed the appearance of a couple new gen-sets and an enormous pile of high voltage cabling going up the back of the parking garage.
Did the water leak out on the North side of the tower? It looks like frozen water starting on 11.
The email we got claimed that the burst pipe caused an 'unavoidable delay' but this doesn't seem right. If they kept the building at a correct temperature then the pipe would not have failed. Tarion says floods are unavoidable but I think that means natural floods due to rain, etc. It's my thought that it was the end of march, and they didn't expect a cold snap so they didn't have the heat on.

If they are claiming that it's unavoidable does that mean Tarion has already determined that it is, or is that something that can be disputed? It's just so disheartening that this could happen with such highly regarded builders and developers Sad What is a good way to make sure that the building is being properly fixed? It's not the purchaser's cost to fix now but in the future if this causes other issues it will be, so I'm very curious and anxious.
Water leaks in condo towers are hardly unusual. Ya takes your chances.
Ophelia had something similar a few months ago as well, before they put the windows in. Likely a burst pipe.

tomh009Ophelia had something similar a few months ago as well, before they put the windows in. Likely a burst pipe.

Where is that?
(04-19-2022, 07:43 PM)JK2021 Wrote: tomh009 Ophelia had something similar a few months ago as well, before they put the windows in. Likely a burst pipe.

Where is that?

Ophelia is on Queen St S

https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1368
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »