Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Garment Street Condos | 25 & 6 fl | U/C
What came of talking to your lawyer re: unavoidable delays?

(11-16-2022, 05:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 02:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That's what you get for using cheap pavers. Granite setts would last a (human) lifetime or more.

That would be a dream.  Are they used anywhere in Ontario?  Ottawa has some in pedestrian only areas in the Market, but none on streets afaik.

Dundas St., Downtown London?
(11-22-2022, 10:40 PM)Ellensparky Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 05:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That would be a dream.  Are they used anywhere in Ontario?  Ottawa has some in pedestrian only areas in the Market, but none on streets afaik.

Dundas St., Downtown London?

Don't think so.  Maybe along the curb.
(11-22-2022, 10:20 PM)Momo26 Wrote: What came of talking to your lawyer re: unavoidable delays?

He didn't know and told me to call Tarion, which I haven't done yet. Was thinking of just submitting the Delayed Closing form to Tarion...fingers crossed that they may approve it? 

Someone needs to compensate us here - whether it's Tarion or the builder or those responsible for this delay (plumbing company and/or security company's insurance). I imagine the builder would be suing them, but who knows....
I’ve got a different issue that I want to address, I recently received a letter from my lawyer asking me to sign an amendment to my parking license and if don’t sign it, the developers lawyer says that they will take away my right to park!!!!!???How is that even possible? Is anyone else facing this situation? This is like you leasing a house and the owner asks you to sign an amendment to the original lease agreement and kicking you out if you don’t sign..wtf..this is the strangest thing I’ve ever heard of. I already paid $50,000 for my parking license.
"Parking licence"? Do you not own your parking space? What is the amendmentand what does your lawyer advise?
(12-12-2022, 07:35 PM)JK2021 Wrote: I’ve got a different issue that I want to address, I recently received a letter from my lawyer asking me to sign an amendment to my parking license and if don’t sign it, the developers lawyer says that they will take away my right to park!!!!!???How is that even possible? Is anyone else facing this situation? This is like you leasing a house and the owner asks you to sign an amendment to the original lease agreement and kicking you out if you don’t sign..wtf..this is the strangest thing I’ve ever heard of. I already paid $50,000 for my parking license.

This is not legal advice, but I believe these would be questions for your lawyer.

Although if they’re simply advising you to sign, it seems a bit weird; seems like your questions are the obvious ones which they really ought to pre-emptively answer if their advice is to sign the amendment.

The more I read from people going through new condo purchases, the more I think I wouldn’t ever buy into a new building. Not sure how the buildings would get built if everybody was like me…

(12-12-2022, 11:02 PM)panamaniac Wrote: "Parking licence"?  Do you not own your parking space?  What is the amendmentand what does your lawyer advise?

Most new buildings there are no assigned spots and you just own the license… except I’ve now found out some make you also pay a monthly fee on top of owning the license…
(12-12-2022, 11:25 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 07:35 PM)JK2021 Wrote: I’ve got a different issue that I want to address, I recently received a letter from my lawyer asking me to sign an amendment to my parking license and if don’t sign it, the developers lawyer says that they will take away my right to park!!!!!???How is that even possible? Is anyone else facing this situation? This is like you leasing a house and the owner asks you to sign an amendment to the original lease agreement and kicking you out if you don’t sign..wtf..this is the strangest thing I’ve ever heard of. I already paid $50,000 for my parking license.

This is not legal advice, but I believe these would be questions for your lawyer.

Although if they’re simply advising you to sign, it seems a bit weird; seems like your questions are the obvious ones which they really ought to pre-emptively answer if their advice is to sign the amendment.

The more I read from people going through new condo purchases, the more I think I wouldn’t ever buy into a new building. Not sure how the buildings would get built if everybody was like me…

I still think that condos in general are a racket to unload costs from a normal landlord onto your most selfish and cheap neighbours with the most free time to sit on a condo board… without any of the protections of the tenant act.
local cambridge weirdo
(12-13-2022, 12:11 AM)bravado Wrote: I still think that condos in general are a racket to unload costs from a normal landlord onto your most selfish and cheap neighbours with the most free time to sit on a condo board… without any of the protections of the tenant act.

Having done it for six years ... I will argue that few selfish people are willing to put in the time commitment of being on a condo board. It's generally neither fun or rewarding.

The parking game in Garment is that all parking spaces are shared across the 3 towers plus the GloveBox office building.  Using some algorithm and a lot of parking occupancy sensors, the parking system allows certain amount of unoccupied spaces to be used by visitors and office building tenants for a daily fee (or maybe monthly permit).  In short, there's more licenses than their are spaces and because people use them at different times, the math is supposed to workout in theory. The parking space juggling act is managed by ParkCo, a start-up founded by Momentum (or its shareholders).  https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...egion.html

I'm guessing the amendments just changes some of the terms to accommodate how the parking system is manage.  It may/may not have any monetary implications.  Ultimately, you paid for a lifetime parking license and what you get is a life time license (transferable if you sell your unit).  The rest is pretty much left up to Momentum/Parko to set the rules for their experiment. One thing I don't know is whether any of the revenue generated from parking fees go back to the condo corps.
The condos have a separate lot in their buildings (podium included) then the Glove Box btw.
(01-15-2023, 10:15 PM)Momo26 Wrote: The condos have a separate lot in their buildings (podium included) then the Glove Box btw.

Are you sure? I'm under the impression there's a P1-level underground connection in the parking garage from Glove Box to Garment Street (tower 3). Pretty sure I saw it on the Glove Box floor plans.

(01-16-2023, 01:01 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(01-15-2023, 10:15 PM)Momo26 Wrote: The condos have a separate lot in their buildings (podium included) then the Glove Box btw.

Are you sure? I'm under the impression there's a P1-level underground connection in the parking garage from Glove Box to Garment Street (tower 3). Pretty sure I saw it on the Glove Box floor plans.

You're correct. It's one big garage
Why is it only when buildings share a parking garage that there is a covered pedestrian link between them?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »