Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunlife Towers | 2x 24 fl | Proposed
New, or at least previously unposted, renders for this project are on the SRM website.

Description from the website:
Quote:This 24 storey, 2 tower apartment complex will be located at the corner of King & John streets in Uptown Waterloo. With a gross floor area of approximately 530,000 square feet, King & John will offer 346 units, with a mix of 1 bedroom, 1 bedroom plus den, and 2 bedroom options. The 1 bedroom units will range in size from 780 to 1,000 square feet, and 2 bedroom units will range from 1,075 to 1,400 square feet. ​Amenity spaces for residents will include a gym, lounges, and a private terrace, while public amenity space will be provided in the form of a cafe on the main floor of one of the towers. Also located on the site is the historic George Wegenast house, which will undergo extensive interior renovations as part of this project. Once complete, the house will serve as a community event space.

Attached Files Image(s)

That's a very off-model LRV!
The street front of the front tower seems a bit different from the original render and the irregular windows seem new.   Is there any progress on this proposal?  Safe to assume this will be built in two phases?
I think that the first floor is now more or less at street level than the previous render was indicating, which I think is a great thing.

Also that description is saying 24 floors which is different than the original information we had posted. It also is stating the inclusion of a cafe, does that mean that the project will be mixed use?
I just hope they do justice to the old Wegenast house...
On an "In the neighbourhood" note, I notice that the Sunlife office tower is getting new exterior glass.
(06-05-2019, 04:22 PM)HistoryInDecay Wrote: I just hope they do justice to the old Wegenast house...

You sent me searching - 1906 (I would have guessed earlier), home of George Wegenast, a Managing Director of the Mutual.

I'm really hoping they get this going sometime soon and stick with what the architects have shown in the renders. They have such a spectacular neomodern look - sharp, clean and they really catch the eye.
I hope so too. Has there been any actual talk, or just speculation?
(06-26-2019, 10:01 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 04:22 PM)HistoryInDecay Wrote: I just hope they do justice to the old Wegenast house...

You sent me searching - 1906 (I would have guessed earlier), home of George Wegenast, a Managing Director of the Mutual.

According to https://www.historicwaterloo.ca/building...treetsouth it was built in 1894, it's the picture at OurOntario.ca that was from 1906.  Smile
Makes sense.
(04-10-2018, 03:54 PM)taylortbb Wrote: New, or at least previously unposted, renders for this project are on the SRM website.

Description from the website:
Quote:This 24 storey, 2 tower apartment complex will be located at the corner of King & John streets in Uptown Waterloo.  With a gross floor area of approximately 530,000 square feet, King & John will offer 346 units, with a mix of 1 bedroom, 1 bedroom plus den, and 2 bedroom options. The 1 bedroom units will range  in size from  780 to 1,000 square feet, and 2 bedroom units will range from 1,075 to 1,400 square feet. Amenity spaces for residents will include a gym, lounges, and a private terrace, while public amenity space will be provided in the form of a cafe on the main floor of one of the towers. Also located on the site is the historic George Wegenast house, which will undergo extensive interior renovations as part of this project. Once complete, the house will serve as a community event space.
21 and 22 storeys.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/948...-proposal/
(06-27-2019, 09:04 AM)Spokes Wrote: I hope so too.  Has there been any actual talk, or just speculation?

It seems like this is just waiting to go through another council meeting. The plan was to move the house from its current location to a new one, but to do so they had to temporarily move it to a third location to do additional work. Questions were raised, namely whether it's financially or practically possible to move the house. The heritage value is valid as it's architecturally unique, but also, it's just a house and this is a multi-million dollar condo project of which a single house is really not going to stop. The Record from June 28th ends with something I didn't notice before:

Quote:"Staff hasn't taken a position on (the proposal)," Cotter said. "Our next step is to get a little more information and we'll prepare a staff report" for presentation to council, likely this fall. Anyone who wants to comment on the proposal can contact the planning department at the city, he said.

There is no new information on the City of Waterloo zone change page, but maybe we'll see this come up again now that it's autumn.

Apparently it's been appealed to the OMB: https://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail...n=PL180347
Not many details there, so looks like it'll be a while before we hear anything on this development.
Ugh annoying. This one just makes sense in this location
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »