Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September Occupancy Thread of Shame
An informational article, asking an expert questions about what to do:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...19?cmp=rss

You will notice that most of these projects that miss the original occupancy date are completed by a developer who also acts as his own general contractor.

Most times it pays to hire a professional.
(09-04-2017, 08:12 PM)NotStan Wrote: Does this thread mean we're going to have a ION Readiness Thread of Shame?

I think it could easily have one.

"ION will be ready summer 2017...fall 2017...spring 2018.......fall 2018.......spring 2019....ok, the tracks are starting to rust and fall apart......Bombadier to shutter offices."
Waterloo's TheHub almost ready, but tenants unhappy with ongoing work

Quote:Most tenants have finally moved into TheHub, a condo owned by Accommod8u, after weeks of delay due to construction not being finished.

But some residents tell CBC News there are still a few things that are unfinished.

Most of the concerns involve non-functional air conditioning, garbage chutes, insufficient laundry machines and an on-site gym that is no longer being built.

"We had a bunch of people who specifically actually moved to TheHub because of the gym being part of the building, and now it's no longer underway," said Daniel Anderson, a tenant and moderator of a Facebook group where tenants have been voicing their concerns.

And it goes on, and on, and on.
(09-21-2017, 11:23 AM)JeffH Wrote: You will notice that most of these projects that miss the original occupancy date are completed by a developer who also acts as his own general contractor.

Most times it pays to hire a professional.

Most often the case indeed.

Also worth following the money (I mean, if you could...). There are a lot of overseas investors who just throw money at (edit: or, partially own, what have you) developers, especially in smaller residential projects.

-

It's a shame The Hub is setting up to be a bit disappointment for those who were interested. It *looked* good, at least. We'll have to see if they can please their customers despite the lag in being finished. If they hope to maintain a positive reputation in the future, I'm sure they will.
Hmm, just about two months to go.

Do we have any ideas on what projects will be this year's "winners"?
https://www.reddit.com/r/uwaterloo/comme...ht_not_be/

258 Sunview is looking likely to miss their "guaranteed" September 1 occupancy.

Am I missing something, or did we manage to not have any issues this September?

What ended up happening with 258 Sunview?
258 B and C were ready on time, A missed by at least a few days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/uwaterloo/comme...58_sunview
With so many student housing buildings this was unfortunately bound to happen:  https://www.therecord.com/news-story/902...-waterloo/

So do I have to worry if I post a not so glowing review about a product on Amazon?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »