Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avalon Place Highway 7/8 Multi-Use Trail Crossing
(07-25-2017, 02:09 PM)KevinL Wrote: In my case, that was my neighbourhood for about a decade as a kid. Now I live on the Strasburg side of things...

I was on Strasburg Rd when in high school.  Since then, Forest Height, Lincoln Heights, Victoria Hill, Heidelberg and now DTK!

(07-25-2017, 03:31 PM)Markster Wrote: This definitely deserves its own thread.
I've moved the relevant posts here!

Thanks Mark.

Looking over the link that I posted, one option they had too was to build and UNDERPASS. Unsure how they could even do with, without affecting traffic for a year. I also don't like the idea of underpasses anyway, as it sometimes ends up as a hang-out spot for certain types of pedestrians.

I am just wondering how long it will be from consultation to actually building and finishing this thing.
The underpass proposal seemed to be where the creek crosses under, closer to Westmount. But that would be too far away to be practical.
(07-26-2017, 05:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: The underpass proposal seemed to be where the creek crosses under, closer to Westmount. But that would be too far away to be practical.

I think the proposal was to shift the creek underpass. Either way, they concluded that it wasn't an option, so they're not doing it.

I have gone under 7/8 through the creek underpass, not much to see. I just don't remember why I ever did this.
(07-27-2017, 04:26 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-26-2017, 05:53 PM)KevinL Wrote: The underpass proposal seemed to be where the creek crosses under, closer to Westmount. But that would be too far away to be practical.

I think the proposal was to shift the creek underpass. Either way, they concluded that it wasn't an option, so they're not doing it.

I have gone under 7/8 through the creek underpass, not much to see.   I just don't remember why I ever did this.

Is there a trail already or was this urban exploration.  Not wanting to stir trouble, just curious.
There's no official trail. You can call it urban exploration, I guess, but as it's parkland/open space at each end I doubt anyone would consider it illegal.

I personally made the journey dozens of times as a kid.
(07-27-2017, 04:59 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 04:26 PM)jeffster Wrote: I think the proposal was to shift the creek underpass. Either way, they concluded that it wasn't an option, so they're not doing it.

I have gone under 7/8 through the creek underpass, not much to see.   I just don't remember why I ever did this.

Is there a trail already or was this urban exploration.  Not wanting to stir trouble, just curious.

No trail per se, that I can recall. My problem is that I really don't know why I ever used it. I have lived on both sides of the expressway, while in junior high and high school, the south side, no need to go north under 7/8. Then I lived on the north side, but no longer in school, so no need to cross south under 7/8. Yet I recall doing it a number of times. Maybe I did this when I was in junior just for something to do, there is park on the other side.

I think Stirling will be an important connector if and when this bridge is built. Bike lanes are going to be added to Stirling between Mausser and Russel during reconstruction next year, but the busiest section is between Pleasant and Greenbrook and most of the west side there is missing sidewalks. It would be nice to see an MUT there, given the low number of driveways, but the problem is where and how to connect it to the Northeast bound bike lanes.

Greenbrook to Avalon is scheduled for reconstruction in 2024. I assume traffic is not very busy here, but hopefully the bridge is built by then and planners recognize the importance of good infrastructure here as well.

Edit: Bike lanes are planned for the rest of Stirling between Charles and Mill in 2018-2019, and Mausser to Greenbrook in 2020.
(08-03-2017, 01:04 PM)highlander Wrote: Greenbrook to Avalon is scheduled for reconstruction in 2024. I assume traffic is not very busy here, but hopefully the bridge is built by then and planners recognize the importance of good infrastructure here as well.

I don't think you could get more than a minute of street hockey on this street between 7am and 10pm on any given day.

There are lot of condo's on Avalon plus some other smaller apartments. Remember too, this is a 'no exit road'. So even though relatively small neighbourhood, it gets good traffic.
Stirling is the one busy street here, yes, because of the bottleneck at Greenbrook. Even Avalon at Stirling can be busy, but its ends, and the side streets, are generally rather quiet.

This is from memories of two decades ago, but I don't think anything's seriously changed in that time.
They just emailed out info about the first public consultation centre:

Quote:A Public Consultation Centre (informal "drop-in" format) has been arranged to present the alternatives under consideration and to receive public input. The Public Consultation Centre will take place as follows:

Date: Thursday, October 26, 2017
Time: 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Place: GRT Chandler Drive Building, 85 Chandler Drive, Kitchener, Ontario

Please note that the building is located along Chandler Drive, and is not the main building located on Strasburg Road. Welcome signage will be in place to direct attendees to the appropriate venue.
I was wondering about the state of this project and I found these documents:

Highway 7/8 Cycling & Pedestrian Bridge

Notice of Lane Restrictions (January 30, 2023)

Construction Notice (September 2022)

Design Recommendation Report (January 30, 2018)
I just read some of the hilariously cynical public comments about this bridge and I think I'm going to have an aneurysm.
local cambridge weirdo

(02-10-2023, 10:12 PM)bravado Wrote: I just read some of the hilariously cynical public comments about this bridge and I think I'm going to have an aneurysm.

I think hysterical is probably the better term.

But the comments are pretty interesting actually, much more mixed than I expected.

Lots of support and with diverse and empathetic views expressed.

The opposition is entirely "I don't like people, I especially don't like Chandler people, and I'm old and don't care about future generations".

Like...consistently...
I went by Avalon Pl. this afternoon. The fencing is from Stirling to Southmoor.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »