Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
One Hundred | 21 & 17 fl | U/C
(06-16-2017, 02:12 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-16-2017, 10:35 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is the Bramm St Yards still being used by Kitchener maintenance, or is it sitting idle now?

No use by the City that I've seen. It's all running from Wabanaki now.
This is complete hearsay, I talked to a City of Kitcherner employee who worked on underground infrastructure. He figured with the size sewer pipes he put in on Park St. years ago that the city was expecting something very large in that area. He thinks that the Bramm St. yards will be held until the province has funding for a new General Hospital in Kitchener/Waterloo. St. Mary's may continue as a cardiac and lung centre while Grand River expand it's Cancer centre.

I guess that would be the teaching hospital for UofW's medical faculty. Wink
(06-25-2017, 10:23 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I guess that would be the teaching hospital for UofW's medical faculty.  Wink

...and we could build our own trauma centre and wouldn't need a helipad to fly patients to Toronto/London/Hamilton.  Smile

How could this be a surprise to the city/builder/Ornge though? I felt like we had the discussion over a year ago about the potential problems with the approach to the helipad due to the One hundred and SIXO developments.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
If the crane itself, and not the fact that it is unlit, is the problem, then the helipad in its present location would seem to be toast, given the height of the 100 Victoria and Sixo towers.
Well someone skilled in Google Sketch-up could translate the dimensions from here https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r...m#table4_1 and superimpose the proposed building heights and positions and determine for sure.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(06-25-2017, 12:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If the crane itself, and not the fact that it is unlit, is the problem, then the helipad in its present location would seem to be toast, given the height of the 100 Victoria and Sixo towers.

The crane is lit, at least it was when I looked Thursday night. It has three lights, one at either end and one in the centre.
Tower cranes act as a weather vane when they aren't in use so maybe the fact the move and get taller over time is the reason the helicopters avoid them.

(06-25-2017, 08:40 PM)jeffster Wrote: The crane is lit, at least it was when I looked Thursday night.  It has three lights, one at either end and one in the centre.

According to the Record story, it wasn't originally:

Quote:Local paramedic Peter Zanon, who works for Ornge, is concerned about the situation. He said the crane was first spotted and reported by a pilot, who was luckily flying during the day and spotted the obstacle.

"This crane went up overnight," Zanon said. "There was no lighting on it."
They should just form a deal with whatever is going to be the tallest building in the area eventually (transit hub?) and then incorporate the helipad on top of it.
(06-26-2017, 12:31 PM)The Record Wrote: Nav Canada, which owns and operates Canada's civil air navigation service, issued a notice to pilots about the helipad being closed on Wednesday and for approximately a week to next Wednesday, said spokesperson Ron Singer.

They were notified (via the NOTAM) of a week long closure.  100 Vic won't be built in a week, so I assume the closure is just to allow for the crane to be completed and properly lit as per regs.

Sounds like a big fuss over nothing....

Coke
Well, the crane has been up for longer than this past Wednesday, so presumably that's still a problem, if it's supposed to be lit. Aren't most tall cranes and buildings like that lit anyway regardless of location?
(06-26-2017, 03:21 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: 100 Vic won't be built in a week,
Coke

Well, well, aren't we a little bit presumptuous.

You need to have a little more faith. They sent men to the moon, this is a cakewalk.
Does this have a new thread yet?
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/former-glove...-1.3641973

Yes it does :

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1072
Dec 5, 2017
Poor picture quality due to the early morning hour.

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »