Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.17 Average
One Hundred | 21 & 17 fl | U/C
Decision has been issued - it's going ahead as is. Disappointing, but not surprising. Now the fun begins! I'll be sure to post some closeup pics from over the fence as it starts to go up!

(08-05-2016, 01:08 PM)Owen Wrote: Decision has been issued - it's going ahead as is.  Disappointing, but not surprising. Now the fun begins!  I'll be sure to post some closeup pics from over the fence as it starts to go up!

And the important thing is that we have a decision: everyone knows what the rules are now, and we can proceed with making DTK a better and better place.

Owen, I hope you find a good development concept in the not too-distant future for your properties that can work with the constraints imposed by the neighbouring 100 Victoria project!
(08-05-2016, 01:08 PM)Owen Wrote: Decision has been issued - it's going ahead as is.  Disappointing, but not surprising. Now the fun begins!  I'll be sure to post some closeup pics from over the fence as it starts to go up!

Thanks for letting us know Owen! We have all been anxiously awaiting the decision. I also hope you can find a great redevelopment option for your properties that will only ADD to 100 Vic!
tough loss for you but i personally saw this coming...would you proceed with your appeal all over again if you could ? any chance you could give us a ball park on the funds spent by you and the city/developer for this process ?
(07-31-2016, 06:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: My magic development powers still see a small commercial/office building at 92/94 Victoria and the houses on Arthur Pl transformed into a pedestrianized mini-entertainment district and entranceway into the future Innovation District.

This gets my vote too.  A somewhat Hess Villagey strip would be killer there in 5 or so years.

Thanks for the update Owen. Do you know if they have site plan approval yet? Was the site plan included in the appeal too? If they don't have site plan approval, the actual commencement of construction could still be several months away.
Site plan would have been pending OMB approval so we'll have to wait and see how quickly they proceed. And what is their sales situation after a one-year delay?

(08-06-2016, 12:52 AM)notmyfriends Wrote: This gets my vote too.  A somewhat Hess Villagey strip would be killer there in 5 or so years.

Maybe Hess Village as it was a couple decades ago. We don't need anything like what Hess is lately...
My understanding is that the plan was approved by the city. During the process It was slightly modified from the original design.. adding more setback (not as much as Owen wanted) but also added a few more floors to each tower (was 15 and 19). The challenge at the city level was unsuccessful which lead to the OMB appeal.

They have enough sales to start based on their spring news letter.

My guess is they will start ASAP. Winter is Coming. Lol.
(08-06-2016, 09:10 PM)519 Wrote: My understanding is that the plan was approved by the city. During the process It was slightly modified from the original design.. adding more setback (not as much as Owen wanted) but also added a few more floors to each tower (was 15 and 19). The challenge at the city level was unsuccessful  which lead to the OMB appeal.

They have enough sales to start based on their spring news letter.

My guess is they will start ASAP.  Winter is Coming.  Lol.

you re incorrect as you cannot approve a plan without zoning in place which is why this went to omb in the first place...if the zoning was in place there would have been no omb process as you cannot appeal a site plan it is being built per the as of right zoning....
(08-05-2016, 11:27 PM)kevinchoi519 Wrote:
tough loss for you but i personally saw this coming...would you proceed with your appeal all over again if you could ? any chance you could give us a ball park on the funds spent by you and the city/developer for this process ?

obviously if I knew the outcome I wouldn't waste the money - but  I believe you have to fight for what you believe is right, so not knowing the outcome (omb reputation for favouring developers aside) I don't regret standing up for what we believed to be right. I was told the omb is a court based on good planning, and everything my planning expert advised (and what I truly believe) is that larger setbacks would constitute good planning.  I can't speculate what Momentum spent, and I don't care to think about how much we spent.  As for the city, I'm sure the accountants could do some sort of cost allocation, but in reality it was in-house council and in-house planning staff, so from a budgeting/cash flow perspective it wasn't anything above and beyond their normal payroll.
Article in the Record on the results of the OMB hearing. An exciting little tid bit in there saying that Momentum us working on the details for a new Downtown project.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/680075...eet-condos
Let the speculation begin!

A less-encouraging tidbit is this: "But now the exact number [of apartments] is not known because demand has been so strong the developer wants to convert some of the proposed commercial units into residential units."

There's obviously a sweet-spot in terms of the amount of commercial space needed, but it's disappointing to hear the possibility of a lesser commercial component to a downtown development like this one.

OMB decision now posted:
https://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail...n=PL141492

Quote:In conclusion, the Board finds that OPA 109 and the ZBLA are consistent with the PPS and conform to the Growth Plan, the 1995 ROP and the in-force City OP, as well as complying with the City’s Urban Design Guidelines. The Board has also had regard to the 2015 ROP and the new City OP and finds that OPA 109 and the ZBLA are consistent with the direction in these new policies. Overall, the Board is satisfied that the proposed development represents good land use planning and will contribute to the City’s policy objectives for the area, including high density residential and office uses close to transit and a lively and liveable Downtown. The Board is also satisfied that, should the Arthur Place lands be assembled in the future, there will also be opportunities for intensification on the Arthur Place lands consistent with these objectives.
(08-09-2016, 05:46 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Article in the Record on the results of the OMB hearing. An exciting little tid bit in there saying that Momentum us working on the details for a new Downtown project.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/680075...eet-condos

Charles and Gaukel???? haha
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »