Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Want to support WRConnected? Don't want to make a donation? Shop at Amazon instead, every purchase helps. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happened?
Brenden Wrote:What about BuildWaterloo.com?

I like it, but Im not sure it fits what I'm going for here.

When talking with some other people about pros and cons of going back to SSP vs creating this site one thing I kept coming back to is that I want this site to be all encompassing. All issues, all topics. SSP allowed that but always had a heavy development influence. Build Waterloo does too.

I'm not sure if it's mandatory, but including Waterloo Region somehow I think might be important. I know I got some negative feedback from people about the name Wonderful Waterloo thinking it was only about the city of waterloo.
I would be partial to a name incorporating 'Grand River' which is in line with many other brands in the area. It gives the impression that it is more encompassing to the region and not solely about the city of Waterloo.
I like that idea too. Expands discussion to other communities along the Grand/Speed rivers like Brantford, Stratford, and Guelph.

Unfortunately there isn't really a way to tell everyone unless they saw the discussion thread about the move. Might have too get word out through sponsorships the way WW did.
neonjoe Wrote:I would be partial to a name incorporating 'Grand River' which is in line with many other brands in the area. It gives the impression that it is more encompassing to the region and not solely about the city of Waterloo.

Now that you mention it, I kinda like the sound of Grand River - but it does greatly expand the subject area. Also I'm not sure how it could be incorporated into a catchy (and short) name.

Grand River Central ?

How about --

Watching Waterloo
Growing Waterloo
Waterloo Communities
Waterloo Wow
Everything Waterloo
Tri-City Central

Ok, that's all my tired brain can storm tonight!
Spokes Wrote:
samnabi Wrote:I think a naming contest would be cool. Also an opportunity to drum up interest and get people who used to have accounts at WW re-register here.

The bigger issue IMO is how the people to used to have accounts at WW will find this place?

Big Twitter presence?
They Might do what I did, google Wonderful Waterloo
KWCAT Kitchener,Waterloo,Cambridge and Townships or KWCA Kitchener,Waterloo,Cambridge and area might be good names?
RoWPage.
I really prefer sticking with Waterloo Region Connected. For twitter, or for any abbreviation, WRConnected seems pretty clear-cut and simple. It's a good name.
zanate Wrote:I really prefer sticking with Waterloo Region Connected. For twitter, or for any abbreviation, WRConnected seems pretty clear-cut and simple. It's a good name.

I'm with Zanate here! If we can rester wrconnected.com/ca that would be great. http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/wrcbackup/ would redirect to the shorter name.
Hey everyone! It's sad to see Wonderful Waterloo dead but am very happy there is a replacement. I love the name "Waterloo Region Connected" and can't wait to read and post on the forums. I'm a 19 year old student who's lived in Waterloo my whole life and am heading into my second year of Planning at the University of Waterloo.
dunkalunk Wrote:
zanate Wrote:I really prefer sticking with Waterloo Region Connected. For twitter, or for any abbreviation, WRConnected seems pretty clear-cut and simple. It's a good name.

I'm with Zanate here! If we can rester wrconnected.com/ca that would be great. http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/wrcbackup/ would redirect to the shorter name.

That's a good idea. I'll look into that. I dont think it's very expensive to add another domain.

Which site should redirect to which site in everyone's opinion? ie. Which should be the main domain, wrconnected.com or waterlooregionconnected.com
Waterlooer Wrote:Hey everyone! It's sad to see Wonderful Waterloo dead but am very happy there is a replacement. I love the name "Waterloo Region Connected" and can't wait to read and post on the forums. I'm a 19 year old student who's lived in Waterloo my whole life and am heading into my second year of Planning at the University of Waterloo.

Welcome to the forums Waterlooer, looking forward to getting a student's perspective on things
Spokes Wrote:Which site should redirect to which site in everyone's opinion? ie. Which should be the main domain, wrconnected.com or waterlooregionconnected.com

My vote is for wrconnected.com to be the main site; easier to type and would match any hashtags/twitter accounts. The WR moniker is also quite well known in internet circles.
Glad to see a new community has been set up to replace the under-loved WonderfulWaterloo boards.

Waterloo Region Connected / WRconnected sounds great to me!

Looking forward to discussing and contributing here. I'm based in Toronto now but grew up in Waterloo and visit from time to time so I'll be contributing when I can.
Add another vote for wrconnected.ca