Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
(12-08-2021, 10:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I can see why you think that, but---and this could be totally temporary---I am amazed how slowly most drivers go through this area. It really shows how good an actual 30km/h could be for our city.

Same here. Drivers really are slowing down.

But cars driving in the bike lanes ... urgh.

I also got off the LRT one station earlier than I should've, so I biked from Mill to Block Line. Courtland has a lot of good multi-use trail along that connection, which is great. I think there's one part which is not connected, and I felt a bit vulnerable on my teeny toy folding bike next to the trucks on that big road. Not exactly sure what trail connections are available and I may have missed some (better wayfinding needed?)

Also, I mentioned Traynor in my other post. The bike infrastructure related part of that is that once you get to Fairway and Manitou, there's a new multi use trail from there all the way to the mall. I'd looked for it two years ago and it was just a dirt path, but now it's paved and good infrastructure. The region is actually doing a decent job with respect to expanding infrastructure.
(12-22-2021, 03:41 PM)plam Wrote: I also got off the LRT one station earlier than I should've, so I biked from Mill to Block Line. Courtland has a lot of good multi-use trail along that connection, which is great. I think there's one part which is not connected, and I felt a bit vulnerable on my teeny toy folding bike next to the trucks on that big road. Not exactly sure what trail connections are available and I may have missed some (better wayfinding needed?)

Also, I mentioned Traynor in my other post. The bike infrastructure related part of that is that once you get to Fairway and Manitou, there's a new multi use trail from there all the way to the mall. I'd looked for it two years ago and it was just a dirt path, but now it's paved and good infrastructure. The region is actually doing a decent job with respect to expanding infrastructure.

Not region, city. The paved MUT and the Courtland MUT are both city projects.  The dangerous disconnected sections are as a result of the region building the LRT with ZERO plans for safe cycling infra, and then continuing that trend to this day.
(12-22-2021, 04:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 03:41 PM)plam Wrote: I also got off the LRT one station earlier than I should've, so I biked from Mill to Block Line. Courtland has a lot of good multi-use trail along that connection, which is great. I think there's one part which is not connected, and I felt a bit vulnerable on my teeny toy folding bike next to the trucks on that big road. Not exactly sure what trail connections are available and I may have missed some (better wayfinding needed?)

Not region, city. The paved MUT and the Courtland MUT are both city projects.  The dangerous disconnected sections are as a result of the region building the LRT with ZERO plans for safe cycling infra, and then continuing that trend to this day.

Right. I meant the whole area but it is true that the city of Kitchener is actually leading on this more than the city of Waterloo and of course the Region. Thanks.

If I have to bike that section, I will cross the street and ride on the sidewalk. However, normally I take Walton Ave. to Vanier Dr. and make my way to Wilson Park and Wilson Ave. on my way to Fairway or take a left at Franklin if I am heading over to Weber St.
(12-22-2021, 08:42 PM)Acitta Wrote:

If I have to bike that section, I will cross the street and ride on the sidewalk. However, normally I take Walton Ave. to Vanier Dr. and make my way to Wilson Park and Wilson Ave. on my way to Fairway or take a left at Franklin if I am heading over to Weber St.

Yep, I think I did take Vanier last time I went two years ago. Likely a net win. I'd just forgotten about the geography (and hadn't quite planned on being there).
Great feature in the Record this weekend, Dan!

Quote:“This is a great proposal, very clear, very appealing,” said Coun. Elizabeth Clarke. Regional Chair Karen Redman called it a thoughtful presentation, and Coun. Tom Galloway asked staff to come back with a report on Brotherston’s suggestions in the new year.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...uncil.html
https://archive.md/0GnKT

(12-08-2021, 04:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: I wonder if installing a bollard - even the flappy ones - at the start of the bike lanes would be enough to discourage people driving on them. I imagine it won't happen a lot, but all it takes is one accident because some idiot drove down what is clearly not a car traffic lane.

There is a traffic cone there now, at the intersection of Joseph and Queen, (kind of) blocking it for car traffic. Clearly temporary but maybe they have recognized that they need to do something?
(12-27-2021, 09:46 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 04:23 PM)ac3r Wrote: I wonder if installing a bollard - even the flappy ones - at the start of the bike lanes would be enough to discourage people driving on them. I imagine it won't happen a lot, but all it takes is one accident because some idiot drove down what is clearly not a car traffic lane.

There is a traffic cone there now, at the intersection of Joseph and Queen, (kind of) blocking it for car traffic. Clearly temporary but maybe they have recognized that they need to do something?

Forgive the really awful photo, yes, they are temporary (they are in fact moved by the plough operators, and not always moved back), but they are clearly intentional, occurring at every major intersection with with a sign indicating bike lanes are open. Also found on Water St. They seem to be pretty effective, I haven't seen any vehicles in the bike lanes since except workers. I do still see vehicles driving the wrong way on the one way section, often intentionally.

A letter to the editor in The Record.
Winter cyclists need separated bike lanes
(01-16-2022, 11:01 AM)Acitta Wrote: A letter to the editor in The Record.
Winter cyclists need separated bike lanes

Yup.

The University lanes are usable but it feels like they're incompletely cleared; I rode from Westmount through to King two days ago.

The other thing that I was thinking about was Spur Line vs Weber. Weber is usually terrible but I thought I'd chance it yesterday. (It wasn't terrible, not too many people on the roads). It feels shorter for getting to my place which is basically right off Weber. The map says Weber is only 300m shorter. But I think that what's going on is that because Spur Line doesn't have priority I'm always going pretty slowly at intersections. Which might be good practice anyway. But as we've talked about before, there should at least be good raised crossings on Spur Line to make it more obvious that cars should slow down. It feels like there are a lot of intersections.
Hey, I would really appreciate it if those of you with Twitter accounts would go vote on my poll about what percentage of Kitchener residents live less than 7km from their place of work.

https://twitter.com/Bytor/status/1482829843763023874

The poll arose of out people claiming on r/kitchener that a bike commute was an hour long and that was why more people didn't do it.

I'd like to see what people think this percentage of easily bikeable commutes in Kitchener would be, so sharing the tweet would also be appreciated.
Totally guessing. A non-trivial number of people live very close (under 2 km for me!) but there are also many people who driver further away, for example, between Kitchener and Waterloo. I'd guess it's more than a third but less than half. But I have no data to back that up! 😁

(01-16-2022, 09:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Totally guessing. A non-trivial number of people live very close (under 2 km for me!) but there are also many people who driver further away, for example, between Kitchener and Waterloo. I'd guess it's more than a third but less than half. But I have no data to back that up! 😁

Even most Kitchener to Waterloo trips are likely to be under 7km.
(01-16-2022, 10:22 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 09:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Totally guessing. A non-trivial number of people live very close (under 2 km for me!) but there are also many people who driver further away, for example, between Kitchener and Waterloo. I'd guess it's more than a third but less than half. But I have no data to back that up! 😁

Even most Kitchener to Waterloo trips are likely to be under 7km.

It could well be. I did check and a trip from Clair Hills (our team has two people in that area) to DTK is almost 10 km. My colleague at my last job (in Waterloo) drove from Pioneer Park to Phillip St, that's 16 km by shortest (not fastest) route. On the other hand, there are many others under 7 km. So, I really don't know.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »