Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Post your pictures of Waterloo Region!
(09-19-2021, 11:34 PM)nms Wrote: Google Streetview shows a red brick row circa May 2015 and then taupe stucco in July 2019. There are no photos in between these dates.  The fence along the sidewalk has also been upgraded to the metal pickets.

Taupe paint on the brick (not stucco) -- so this is the second repaint on the brick

Those units are in the process of being renovicted by Vive and Effort Trust.
So they are doing interior renovations as well?
(09-26-2021, 05:04 PM)Lens Wrote: Those units are in the process of being renovicted by Vive and Effort Trust.
Years ago, when I was apartment hunting, I viewed one of those units. They had just been renovated then.
Here's some night time shots on a bike ride around downtown Galt and the grand river..

Very nice! This is where a proper camera comes into its own, phone cameras really struggle with night shots.

P.S. You might consider posting JPEG in the future -- the PNG is about 4x the size and will use up your attachment quota that much faster.
(10-08-2021, 08:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Very nice! This is where a proper camera comes into its own, phone cameras really struggle with night shots.

P.S. You might consider posting JPEG in the future -- the PNG is about 4x the size and will use up your attachment quota that much faster.

The Pixel 4a night mode is pretty good. In some ways it's better than a small point and shoot. Cameras with bigger sensors probably do better. What I find phones can't really do is reasonable zoom (eg birds).

(10-08-2021, 09:44 PM)plam Wrote:
(10-08-2021, 08:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Very nice! This is where a proper camera comes into its own, phone cameras really struggle with night shots.

The Pixel 4a night mode is pretty good. In some ways it's better than a small point and shoot. Cameras with bigger sensors probably do better. What I find phones can't really do is reasonable zoom (eg birds).

Yes, that's what I was implying. You can't use software to recreate what the sensor is not capturing, only optimize what it does capture. And, yes, my reference point is a DSLR or a compact with a reltively larger sensor (such as a Sony RX100).

Being able to select a lens and being able to control exposure, shutter speed and depth of field is something else that I can't do with a phone camera.

That said, I use my phone camera a lot more than I use my RX100 or the DSLRs. Most of the time it's easily good enough, and it's always in my pocket.
(10-09-2021, 11:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-08-2021, 09:44 PM)plam Wrote: The Pixel 4a night mode is pretty good. In some ways it's better than a small point and shoot. Cameras with bigger sensors probably do better. What I find phones can't really do is reasonable zoom (eg birds).

Yes, that's what I was implying. You can't use software to recreate what the sensor is not capturing, only optimize what it does capture. And, yes, my reference point is a DSLR or a compact with a reltively larger sensor (such as a Sony RX100).

Being able to select a lens and being able to control exposure, shutter speed and depth of field is something else that I can't do with a phone camera.

That said, I use my phone camera a lot more than I use my RX100 or the DSLRs. Most of the time it's easily good enough, and it's always in my pocket.

The benefit of night mode is that it allows long exposure times and corrects for reasonable jitter, so you can handhold a surprisingly long exposure. Let's see if I can find one such picture. Well, this one totally didn't work in night mode because the bird moves too fast:

https://gallery.patricklam.ca/picture.ph...egory/1348

But here's a night mode pic at 1/5 handheld. I've massively downscaled it but even at original resolution it's surprisingly sharp.

Some phone cameras (though not the 4a) allow direct control of the settings, though obviously you can't change lenses.

I also have an RX100 and an a6600. I find that the RX100 isn't great at doing narrow depth of field. Sometimes the 4a does better computationally, but it gets confused when the boundaries are complicated. The a6600 does way better.
Yes, the stabilization works well now. But long exposures and high ISO are still better done with larger sensors.

Which RX100 version do you have? Mine is a III and I can open the lens all the way up to f/1.8, which has a pretty shallow depth of field. I do believe the later versions have more zoom available but then compromise by having a smaller maximum aperture. It's one of the reasons why I am happy to stay with a III rather than upgrading. Smile
(10-10-2021, 05:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes, the stabilization works well now. But long exposures and high ISO are still better done with larger sensors.

Which RX100 version do you have? Mine is a III and I can open the lens all the way up to f/1.8, which has a pretty shallow depth of field. I do believe the later versions have more zoom available but then compromise by having a smaller maximum aperture. It's one of the reasons why I am happy to stay with a III rather than upgrading. Smile

Yeah, having the better camera with you does enable you to take better pictures. But that's not always the case. And the smaller camera is just surprisingly good.

I have the M4, so 70mm range. Could use the 210 sometimes, probably more than I can use the f1/8. I think I also just take the wrong type of pictures to benefit from f/1.8 usually.
(10-10-2021, 07:04 PM)plam Wrote: Yeah, having the better camera with you does enable you to take better pictures. But that's not always the case. And the smaller camera is just surprisingly good.

I have the M4, so 70mm range. Could use the 210 sometimes, probably more than I can use the f1/8. I think I also just take the wrong type of pictures to benefit from f/1.8 usually.

I think the key is to understand your equipment's limits. As well as your own limitations! (Speaking from experience ...) I shoot a lot with the phone, but for some things I really want the level of control I can get from a dedicated camera.
Some recent stuff:

[Image: 51569631113_efd16b6d39_b.jpg]The York by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51581397456_fb0256ebb1_b.jpg]East End Skyline by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51582339279_6d517b7041_b.jpg]Charles Street Train by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51582600025_8062488def_b.jpg]305 King by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51582577875_722c2f6b9e_b.jpg]King and Queen by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51582576130_ff8e43f4c4_b.jpg]Etched by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51581899923_69d0db1b35_b.jpg]Market District by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51581932933_3790bed87d_b.jpg]Skywalk by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51580846547_f0a9262e51_b.jpg]Hong Kong Plaza by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51565232062_795da8482f_b.jpg]Kaufman Corner by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51487590786_95722305ef_b.jpg]Minimal City by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 51581895113_116c3dd148_b.jpg]King and Ontario by Matt, on Flickr
Nice pictures of places I've been by many times, Lens! Can't quite make out the banh mi place Givral in that picture...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »