Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
I live very close to these properties and have not received any sort of notice regarding them. The last I heard about them was at the meeting when the church was rezoned and the plan was to convert it to 10 units. I'd love to know what's happening.

(07-24-2021, 07:00 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I live very close to these properties and have not received any sort of notice regarding them. The last I heard about them was at the meeting when the church was rezoned and the plan was to convert it to 10 units. I'd love to know what's happening.

There was a community circulation letter early last year, and the zoning was subsequently changed:
https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...Letter.pdf

Address: 206 DUKE ST E
Application Number: ZBA20/001/D/GS
Application Type: Zoning By-Law Amendment
Application Summary: This application changed the zoning of 206 Duke Street E from an institutional zone to Residential Seven R-7 (a mid-rise residential zone) and changed the zoning of 210 Duke Street East to add some site specific regulations.
Applicant: MHBC PLANNING
Property Owner: TRUSTEES PILGRIM EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN
Status Update: This Zoning By-law Amendment was approved on August 24, 2020 by Kitchener City Council. That application changed the zoning of 206 Duke Street East from Neighbourhood Institutional Zone (I-1) to Residential Seven (R-7) with Special Regulation Provision 755R and Special Use Regulation 480U and changed the zoning of 210 Duke Street East from Residential Seven (R-7) to Residential Seven (R-7) with Special Regulation Provision 755R and Special Use Regulation 480U.
Committee Meeting Date: Aug 10, 2020
City Planning Contact: Garett Stevenson, MCIP, RPP 
Contact Email: planning@kitchener.ca
Contact Phone Number: 519-741-2426 
Contact TTY: 1-866-969-9994
Ward: 10
(07-25-2021, 04:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 07:00 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I live very close to these properties and have not received any sort of notice regarding them. The last I heard about them was at the meeting when the church was rezoned and the plan was to convert it to 10 units. I'd love to know what's happening.

There was a community circulation letter early last year, and the zoning was subsequently changed:
https://app2.kitchener.ca/AppDocs/OpenDa...Letter.pdf

Address: 206 DUKE ST E
Application Number: ZBA20/001/D/GS
Application Type: Zoning By-Law Amendment
Application Summary: This application changed the zoning of 206 Duke Street E from an institutional zone to Residential Seven R-7 (a mid-rise residential zone) and changed the zoning of 210 Duke Street East to add some site specific regulations.
Applicant: MHBC PLANNING
Property Owner: TRUSTEES PILGRIM EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN
Status Update: This Zoning By-law Amendment was approved on August 24, 2020 by Kitchener City Council. That application changed the zoning of 206 Duke Street East from Neighbourhood Institutional Zone (I-1) to Residential Seven (R-7) with Special Regulation Provision 755R and Special Use Regulation 480U and changed the zoning of 210 Duke Street East from Residential Seven (R-7) to Residential Seven (R-7) with Special Regulation Provision 755R and Special Use Regulation 480U.
Committee Meeting Date: Aug 10, 2020
City Planning Contact: Garett Stevenson, MCIP, RPP 
Contact Email: planning@kitchener.ca
Contact Phone Number: 519-741-2426 
Contact TTY: 

That's the meeting I'm talking about. I received that letter and watched the meeting. During it they they mentioned that the current plan was to convert the church and leave the house beside it as is but there wasn't even any official plans. The two properties on Madison weren't even mentioned. I actually emailed Sarah Marsh at the time to ask about the houses on Madison and she had not heard anything about them being part of it. 

So since last August until now there hasn't been any mention of what's going on and then this weekend they put up fencing around all these properties including ones that weren't even part of the rezoning. It just seems like it might be bigger than the conversion to 10 units that was originally mentioned.
This is a church-led project?
(07-25-2021, 06:34 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: That's the meeting I'm talking about. I received that letter and watched the meeting. During it they they mentioned that the current plan was to convert the church and leave the house beside it as is but there wasn't even any official plans. The two properties on Madison weren't even mentioned. I actually emailed Sarah Marsh at the time to ask about the houses on Madison and she had not heard anything about them being part of it. 

So since last August until now there hasn't been any mention of what's going on and then this weekend they put up fencing around all these properties including ones that weren't even part of the rezoning. It just seems like it might be bigger than the conversion to 10 units that was originally mentioned.

As far as I can tell, subsequent to the meeting, the church property was rezoned to R-7 (medium height residential), to match the (almost) two surrounding blocks which were already zoned R-7, including the houses on Duke St. Most of the remainder of this neighbourhood is zoned R-5, which also allows medium-height residential.

There is a demolition permit application (21-122002) in the system (not yet showing as approved) for the church: "Permit is for the demolition of a vacant church for future affordable housing complex."

(07-25-2021, 08:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: This is a church-led project?

No, it's Vive. The church has closed.
(07-25-2021, 09:56 PM)As far as I can tell, subsequent to the meeting, the church property was rezoned to R-7 (medium height residential), to match the (almost) two surrounding blocks which were already zoned R-7, including the houses on Duke St. Most of the remainder of this neighbourhood is zoned R-5, which also allows medium-height residential. Wrote: There is a demolition permit application (21-122002) in the system (not yet showing as approved) for the church: "Permit is for the demolition of a vacant church for future affordable housing complex."

Where can you find the application for the demolition permit? I checked the active build permits for the four properties and didn't see anything listed, so I'm guessing demolition permits are located somewhere else on the site? And I assume if the property to be built meets the conditions of the zoning then they don't need to notify neighbours or publish the site plans? I want to be clear, I'm not opposed to the site being redeveloped especially if it's truly going to be affordable housing, but it would be nice to know what is going to happen and when. 

(07-25-2021, 08:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: This is a church-led project?

No, it's Vive. The church has closed.

The owners of the church (and the other properties) had to get the property rezoned before Vive would buy it.
(07-26-2021, 07:19 AM)BruceAshe Wrote:
Quote:As far as I can tell, subsequent to the meeting, the church property was rezoned to R-7 (medium height residential), to match the (almost) two surrounding blocks which were already zoned R-7, including the houses on Duke St. Most of the remainder of this neighbourhood is zoned R-5, which also allows medium-height residential.

There is a demolition permit application (21-122002) in the system (not yet showing as approved) for the church: "Permit is for the demolition of a vacant church for future affordable housing complex."

Where can you find the application for the demolition permit? I checked the active build permits for the four properties and didn't see anything listed, so I'm guessing demolition permits are located somewhere else on the site? And I assume if the property to be built meets the conditions of the zoning then they don't need to notify neighbours or publish the site plans? I want to be clear, I'm not opposed to the site being redeveloped especially if it's truly going to be affordable housing, but it would be nice to know what is going to happen and when. 

The GIS system won't show the permit application since it's not approved yet. But you can see the application listed here for 206 Duke St E:
https://onlinepermits.kitchener.ca/porta...blicSearch&workspace=test

(07-26-2021, 11:22 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 07:19 AM)BruceAshe Wrote: Where can you find the application for the demolition permit? I checked the active build permits for the four properties and didn't see anything listed, so I'm guessing demolition permits are located somewhere else on the site? And I assume if the property to be built meets the conditions of the zoning then they don't need to notify neighbours or publish the site plans? I want to be clear, I'm not opposed to the site being redeveloped especially if it's truly going to be affordable housing, but it would be nice to know what is going to happen and when. 

The GIS system won't show the permit application since it's not approved yet. But you can see the application listed here for 206 Duke St E:
https://onlinepermits.kitchener.ca/porta...space=test

Thanks. There are demo applications for all four properties. Very different than what was discussed during the meeting a year ago. Guess it's a matter of waiting to see what's going to happen.
(07-26-2021, 12:58 PM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 11:22 AM)tomh009 Wrote: The GIS system won't show the permit application since it's not approved yet. But you can see the application listed here for 206 Duke St E:
https://onlinepermits.kitchener.ca/porta...blicSearch&workspace=test

Thanks. There are demo applications for all four properties. Very different than what was discussed during the meeting a year ago. Guess it's a matter of waiting to see what's going to happen.

Right. And, sorry, I jusrt saw your other question: if the building is within the zoning regulation, no public consultation is required. If there is a "minor variance" (in the judgement of the Committee of the Whole) there is some light consultation required, but I don't remember the details.
Upcoming Zoom open house on the draft proposed zoning for wards 6, 7 and 8.
  • date and time: Thursday, July 29 from 4 to 6 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.
  • session one: 4 to 6 p.m.
    • staff presentation: 4 to 4:30 p.m.
    • 1-on-1 drop-in sessions: 4:30 to 6 p.m. (join anytime!)
  • session two: 6 to 8 p.m.
    • staff presentation: 6 to 6:30 p.m.
    • 1-on-1 drop-in sessions: 6:30 to 8 p.m. (join anytime!)
Both sessions will include the same staff presentation.
Send us an email to RSVP. We'll send you a Zoom link 24 hours before the meeting.
If you have any comments, please send them by email before August 27.

Comprehensive review of zoning bylaw (CRoZBy)

(07-26-2021, 07:14 PM)Acitta Wrote: Upcoming Zoom open house on the draft proposed zoning for wards 6, 7 and 8.
  • date and time: Thursday, July 29 from 4 to 6 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.
  • session one: 4 to 6 p.m.
    • staff presentation: 4 to 4:30 p.m.
    • 1-on-1 drop-in sessions: 4:30 to 6 p.m. (join anytime!)
  • session two: 6 to 8 p.m.
    • staff presentation: 6 to 6:30 p.m.
    • 1-on-1 drop-in sessions: 6:30 to 8 p.m. (join anytime!)
Both sessions will include the same staff presentation.
Send us an email to RSVP. We'll send you a Zoom link 24 hours before the meeting.
If you have any comments, please send them by email before August 27.

Comprehensive review of zoning bylaw (CRoZBy)

The email addresses are just some links: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...l')&&false
I live in this neighborhood. There was a lot of talk about this on the NextDoor app at the time the 10 units were approved. Even back then the concept smelled. No mention of demo, no mention of the properties on Madison. 

The fencing is a clear indication that there will be demo, contrary to what the nearby residents have been told. In addition, last week the city dug up Duke in two spots to disable the gas lines to the church and the adjacent house. Those lines would be necessary if there was only going to be re-development. 

I suspect that once demolished, a multi story building will go up. Not sure how I feel about that. However, I am annoyed by the deceit which seemed evident from the get-go. Why our friends at Vive, City Hall, and Council could not be honest about this up front is beyond me.
(07-27-2021, 09:16 PM)Gubs Wrote: The fencing is a clear indication that there will be demo, contrary to what the nearby residents have been told. In addition, last week the city dug up Duke in two spots to disable the gas lines to the church and the adjacent house. Those lines would be necessary if there was only going to be re-development. 

I suspect that once demolished, a multi story building will go up. Not sure how I feel about that. However, I am annoyed by the deceit which seemed evident from the get-go. Why our friends at Vive, City Hall, and Council could not be honest about this up front is beyond me.

This is all very clear in the demolition permit application.

Owners in old Kitchener neighbourhood plan to convert two houses into 10 rental units
(07-27-2021, 10:45 PM)Acitta Wrote: Owners in old Kitchener neighbourhood plan to convert two houses into 10 rental units

I used to live across the street from these two houses. At one time these two properties were associated with 48 Weber St and when that building was redone after being condemned, these were as well. So all the tenants were evicted, and they were renovated to have office space as well as the residential. Now a few years later, it's going back the other way again. I'm not sure if they are still part of the same ownership as 48 Weber anymore, so maybe the current owner wasn't responsible for the previous renovation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »