Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Kraus Development (525-565 Conestogo Road) | 3-35 fl | Proposed
(06-29-2021, 03:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 03:27 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: You say “and/or”; but if there isn’t a ramp, an elevator would be needed. An escalator is very convenient for many but just doesn’t do the job for everybody, in particular for people in wheelchairs.

What I really meant was "elevator plus possibly an escalator".

OK, that makes sense. Sorry, sometimes my day job, which includes lots of computer programming, leaks into my off hours. So sometimes I am annoyingly pedantic.

Quote:I understand you like tunnels, but my question was about the option of using stairs+elevator (+possibly escalator) instead of a ramp, for a bridge.

Actually I’m skeptical of the tunnel idea for some of the same reasons others are, but I think some of the points raised haven’t been entirely fair to the idea. Your question is a good one and I hope I haven’t derailed more productive discussion of it in favour of nitpicking. That being said, you are correct that I love tunnels in general, along with other ways of connecting places together, indoors and out, with an emphasis on car-free approaches.

(06-29-2021, 04:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 10:22 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Is there a reason why we need 100m+ ramps at both ends? Could we not put in stairs and an elevator (and/or escalator)? It would take far less space, and the elevator likely costs much less than 100m of concrete ramp.

Stairs, yes, an elevator...gosh, you want to talk about expensive, now you have to maintain a climate controlled building.

Why? Elevators (and escalators) can be built outdoors as well, even in a climate that has snow.

(06-29-2021, 04:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Ultimately, the key to any solution is that the priority be on it being good for the users, rather than cheap for the developers. There are plenty of examples of bad overpasses AND underpasses that don't get used because they are inconvenient, poorly designed, unpleasant, and unsafe, all in the name of minimizing cost.

Yeah, I agree with this.
(06-30-2021, 08:52 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 04:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Stairs, yes, an elevator...gosh, you want to talk about expensive, now you have to maintain a climate controlled building.

Why? Elevators (and escalators) can be built outdoors as well, even in a climate that has snow.

(06-29-2021, 04:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Ultimately, the key to any solution is that the priority be on it being good for the users, rather than cheap for the developers. There are plenty of examples of bad overpasses AND underpasses that don't get used because they are inconvenient, poorly designed, unpleasant, and unsafe, all in the name of minimizing cost.

Yeah, I agree with this.

While the box or stairs for humans can be exposed to the elements, AFAIK the machine rooms for elevators and escalators must be safe from the elements and heated in this climate. But I'm not an "elevator consultant" so perhaps it's possible and just uncommon.
(06-30-2021, 09:02 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: While the box or stairs for humans can be exposed to the elements, AFAIK the machine rooms for elevators and escalators must be safe from the elements and heated in this climate. But I'm not an "elevator consultant" so perhaps it's possible and just uncommon.

I believe the O-Train in Ottawa has a more-or-less non-climate-controlled elevator at the Carling station. I can’t speak to the arrangements made for the machinery — for all I know, it might be arranged so that they actually are temperature-controlled. But my recollection is that the elevator cab is not heated.

As to escalators, they can be outdoors but I don’t think it’s a reasonable thing to do. When in San Diego once I had the strange experience of riding an escalator in a shopping mall; but since it was San Diego the place was not fully enclosed (OK, fair, especially in their climate), but due to some architectural choice, some of the areas where there was no roof was above the escalator. So I got rained on while riding the escalator, which is just dumb. Also the security office had water pouring across the floor from the rain.
There are hillside neighbourhoods in some parts of the world (Hong Kong is an example I can name) that have outdoor escalators (usually under a canopy). Not sure how well the technology would stand up to our winters (and particularly our level of salt usage).
(07-04-2021, 09:45 PM)KevinL Wrote: There are hillside neighbourhoods in some parts of the world (Hong Kong is an example I can name) that have outdoor escalators (usually under a canopy). Not sure how well the technology would stand up to our winters (and particularly our level of salt usage).
Lived in hong kong, plenty of outdoor escalators not all even have canopies but it never drops below 10
(07-04-2021, 11:02 PM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(07-04-2021, 09:45 PM)KevinL Wrote: There are hillside neighbourhoods in some parts of the world (Hong Kong is an example I can name) that have outdoor escalators (usually under a canopy). Not sure how well the technology would stand up to our winters (and particularly our level of salt usage).

Lived in hong kong, plenty of outdoor escalators not all even have canopies but it never drops below 10

Tokyo has lots as well. And they keep running even when it does snow, although their winters are not nearly as cold as ours.

This should be moved to the Suburban Areas forum.
Yay, we're on the escalator talk. Anything but the "t" word.
Here are some very early renderings of the project:

[Image: LPVdE1P.png]

[Image: w0T08ft.jpg]

[Image: MDoWpWN.jpg]

[Image: 3saYvYv.png]

[Image: AaGLUNh.jpg]
[Image: Aw26SMo.png]

[Image: 7sdihiw.jpg]
Can a mod update the thread title? This project will have the address of 525-565 Conestogo Road, not 65 Northfield Drive. The building heights also range from 3 to 35 floors.
Just an absolutely massive project. Makes Barrelyards seem tiny it seems.

(08-05-2021, 07:24 PM)ac3r Wrote: Can a mod update the thread title? This project will have the address of 525-565 Conestogo Road, not 65 Northfield Drive. The building heights also range from 3 to 35 floors.

Done!
(08-05-2021, 07:17 PM)ac3r Wrote: Here are some very early renderings of the project:

[Image: w0T08ft.jpg]
[Image: AaGLUNh.jpg]

I know its preliminary, but can someone explain this fad in landscape architecture around here to make place with a frying pan of open concrete? I will never really understand these spaces that are simultaneously too filled to be an open multi-use square but also so stark and devoid of shade and greenery to be unwelcoming to pedestrians or anyone wanting some fresh air.

Is it just that they are cheap and easy to clear of snow or is there some design principle / fad I'm missing out on?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »