Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Have we seen renderings ?

(04-14-2021, 03:08 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 02:57 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: 22 weber st w imo is the best looking proposal of downtown.      https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html

Unfortunately NIMBYs are currently working hard to stop that from getting built.

O my stars! Fetch me my smelling salts! A 15 storey tower on a main street downtown! Won’t somebody please think of the children!
“We have not adopted a stance because we don’t even know what we’re talking about,” said Hal Jaeger, a member of the heritage and development committee of the Olde Berlin Neighbourhood Association. “The community, at this point, we just don’t have enough information to comment intelligently.”
(04-14-2021, 03:15 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Have we seen renderings ?
There is one (dating to March 2020) on the Olde Berlin Town Neighborhood Association site (near the bottom).

https://oldeberlintown.ca/22weberstw/

They're not true renderings, but VG Architects has some 3D drawings of it. The city has a full set of documents available here with a lot of detail on the proposal: https://kitchener.sharefile.com/share/vi...307a21464d

[Image: nWbspmC.jpg]
[Image: NAPlIvK.jpg]
[Image: 5j5L5Bn.jpg]
91 Moore Ave. Transformation

91 Moore Ave., located next to Kitchener-owned and operated Mount Hope Cemetery, will be transformed by Kitchener Cemeteries to provide expanded cemetery services to the community.

This year, exterior renovations will completely modernize the look of the building. Construction is expected to begin June 2021 and finish by October 2021. A transformation indoors will follow within the next five years.

When complete, the building will feature indoor niches for urns, a bookable community room which will be used for family gatherings, memorial services and other events and office space for staff.

Public Information Sessions

Community members are invited to hear about this exciting project during one of two online public information sessions on Wednesday, April 21:

Afternoon session: from 2 - 3:30 p.m.

Evening session: from 7 - 8:30 p.m.

Kitchener Cemeteries is committed to keeping the community informed about this exciting project as it progresses. Subscribe to this page to receive updates.
(04-14-2021, 03:48 PM)creative Wrote: “We have not adopted a stance because we don’t even know what we’re talking about,” said Hal Jaeger, a member of the heritage and development committee of the Olde Berlin Neighbourhood Association. “The community, at this point, we just don’t have enough information to comment intelligently.”

It's in LPAT's hands now anyway, presumably because of their complaints. But at least the LPAT decision is the end of the process: if they reject the appeal, the city's zoning decision will be final. (If they uphold the appeal, the city will need to either abandon the zoning change or make adjustements to it.)

(04-14-2021, 03:29 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 03:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: Unfortunately NIMBYs are currently working hard to stop that from getting built.

O my stars! Fetch me my smelling salts! A 15 storey tower on a main street downtown! Won’t somebody please think of the children!
Indeed. Honestly, if we can't easily build 15 storeys on a surface parking lot on an arterial road, it doesn't leave me a lot of hope for intensifying throughout the city/region.
(04-14-2021, 04:45 PM)ac3r Wrote:

They're not true renderings, but VG Architects has some 3D drawings of it. The city has a full set of documents available here with a lot of detail on the proposal: https://kitchener.sharefile.com/share/vi...307a21464d

Thanks,  wow  looks great to me.
 Not sure what the issue is really.
Get on with issuing the permit before the developer changes their minds. Sheesh.

Some NIMBYs have legitimate concerns (in general) and to be fair, I'm not faced with current developments suddenly going up right behind or beside my house (yet) so I cannot fully appreciate that side of it...but really it's a lot of belief held that the city shouldn't grow quite frankly. I hear things like 'too congested', 'losing small town feel', 'becoming like GTA' and the sort. To each their own.

Ingersoll is that way ---->
(04-14-2021, 04:45 PM)ac3r Wrote:

Rentals or for purchase?
Somewhere in the documents it mentions they've proposed the project as a condominium, so likely for purchase. Not sure which .pdf specifically states that but I believe it's somewhere in there.
(04-14-2021, 07:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 03:48 PM)creative Wrote: “We have not adopted a stance because we don’t even know what we’re talking about,” said Hal Jaeger, a member of the heritage and development committee of the Olde Berlin Neighbourhood Association. “The community, at this point, we just don’t have enough information to comment intelligently.”

It's in LPAT's hands now anyway, presumably because of their complaints. But at least the LPAT decision is the end of the process: if they reject the appeal, the city's zoning decision will be final. (If they uphold the appeal, the city will need to either abandon the zoning change or make adjustements to it.)

LPAT?  The building was approved?  Or can the zoning amendment itself also be appealed?

(04-15-2021, 09:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 07:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's in LPAT's hands now anyway, presumably because of their complaints. But at least the LPAT decision is the end of the process: if they reject the appeal, the city's zoning decision will be final. (If they uphold the appeal, the city will need to either abandon the zoning change or make adjustements to it.)

LPAT?  The building was approved?  Or can the zoning amendment itself also be appealed?

As I understand it, they are appealing the zoning amendment. If the zoning amendment is approved by LPAT, the building will meet the zoning and (I think) no council approval will be required.
(04-14-2021, 05:41 PM)Acitta Wrote: 91 Moore Ave. Transformation

91 Moore Ave., located next to Kitchener-owned and operated Mount Hope Cemetery, will be transformed by Kitchener Cemeteries to provide expanded cemetery services to the community.

This year, exterior renovations will completely modernize the look of the building. Construction is expected to begin June 2021 and finish by October 2021. A transformation indoors will follow within the next five years.

When complete, the building will feature indoor niches for urns, a bookable community room which will be used for family gatherings, memorial services and other events and office space for staff.

This building had once been the Catholic School Board HQ, before they moved into the old St. Mary's High, downtown.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »