Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(03-20-2021, 02:27 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 11:36 PM)mastermind Wrote: I couldn't find a thread for this but 169 Borden has the trees cut down and a construction trailer on site.

I wonder what's they're doing there. It's still zoned institutional (INS-1) as it used to be a retirement home.

I believe it's a Vive development that was approved at Council last year IIRC. Here's a link on the Vive page. http://vivedevelopment.com/property/169-borden-ave/

Thanks! Looks like they made it in Lego Architecture Studio haha.
Over the past week or so there has been some reno work happening at 664 King E.

It looks as though they are finally moving forward with the plans to fix up that corner. I for one will be glad to see a few less derelict properties along that stretch.
(03-20-2021, 04:26 PM)ac3r Wrote: Thanks! Looks like they made it in Lego Architecture Studio haha.

Haha the fact that you thought that means maybe you've spent countless hours in Lego Architecture Studio?
Yeah. An architecture firm I worked at bought that big 1200+ piece set after it released. It was kept out on a table for a few weeks and we'd all play with it for fun, building either realistic buildings or the most surrealist concepts we could come up with. Wish I had my own set but I think it's out of production now and even used sets go for 400-500 dollars!
YWCA modular homes to house 41 homeless women on Block Line Road in Kitchener
This is near Homer Watson, yes? The article wasn't clear.

(03-24-2021, 05:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: This is near Homer Watson, yes? The article wasn't clear.

CMHC release has more info: it's 1470 Block Line Road, near Homer Watson.
https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/media-new...loo-region
Ah, that's currently an empty field between Block Line and the hydro corridor, in front of St. Mary's High. https://www.google.com/maps/place/1470+B...-80.467304
(03-24-2021, 07:01 PM)jeremyroman Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 05:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: This is near Homer Watson, yes? The article wasn't clear.

CMHC release has more info: it's 1470 Block Line Road, near Homer Watson.
https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/media-new...loo-region

That's good news. I wonder if Waterloo would ever allow anything like this? Probs not.
Is this project the same affordable housing project that the address seemed was taking over the car wash at Block Line/Kingswood, or are there actually two going forward?

Coke
I'm thinking the car wash was an incorrect address, and it should have been this.
Talked about it about 6 months to a year ago now (yep, sounds crazy!), the unknown of Kitchener renaissance, namely DTK's (and similar argument for Waterloo) as it all pertains to businesses sending their staff back into offices/expanding in coming years as all signs were pointing to this before. Also the argument of small/shared spaces vs larger given our current state of affairs.

All of Ontario realty is on fire.

I wanted to bring up the discussion again as we aren't seeing a halt to new projects now coming up (maybe delayed from last year, hard to say).

Will DTK flourish, business or new business flooding in?

Are condos going to come in to solely fill a void or will they house those professionals working in DTK and surroundings' tech niche?

(04-03-2021, 07:13 PM)Momo26 Wrote: All of Ontario realty is on fire.

I wanted to bring up the discussion again as we aren't seeing a halt to new projects now coming up (maybe delayed from last year, hard to say).

Will DTK flourish, business or new business  flooding in?

Are condos going to come in to solely fill a void or will they house those professionals working in DTK and surroundings' tech niche?

Ontario, though Toronto is slowing. Unsure if/when it will change. Banking policy is to have low interest rates, which make homes more expensive (because $1,000/month can pay for larger mortgages). Condo's are doing both --- filling the void and homes for professionals.

With new developments coming up soon, as we have seen, the landscape of this region is really going to look different. I imagine 10 years from now it will be totally unrecognizable.
Have we seen any numbers or speculation of how much of this downtown condo demand is for:
1. People who will actually live in their units
2. People intent on using Airbnb for their unit
3. People who are speculating on the property and hope to flip the units as soon as possible
4. Real estate consortia who buy a unit with multiple investors and then flip the unit later

We really don't need to become another Vancouver or Toronto.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »