Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Glove Box | 6 fl | U/C
(12-11-2020, 06:01 PM)mastermind Wrote: I do not live there but I do live downtown.  I dream that in a few years I'll occasionally walk over to this place and enjoy a dinner, or get a beverage with a friend, or do some shopping.
Shopping?  I admire your optimism!

The first floor has 8'631 square feet of space for either retail or a restaurant, so something will definitely open up. I'm leaning towards it being a restaurant.

FYI: Not sure if this has been linked before, but they have a web camera that updates every 10 minutes with an image of the project: https://www.gloveboxkw.ca/home/site-camera
That's kind of neat. Would be amazing to see a time lapse of a picture a day for this in the end...
Some photo updates.

Thanks for the photos. Two/Three? more floors to go. Could we expect this to be top out by the end of March?
3 more to go, at least if you're talking about the office building section above the old factory. Unless something slows them down I would think they could get it close to being done by the end of March, or mid/late April at the latest.

I can't wait to see this entire project when it's done. The condo towers may not be architecturally significant, but the office tower section should look pretty good with the factory being incorporated into it. And hopefully - in time - there will be more pedestrian activity that can activate the street life in and around here (right now it's a bit isolated from the rest of the downtown core). Overall, this is perhaps the biggest project built downtown in terms of size, at least until Station Park gets completed.
Has anyone seen this lately? The cladding is not looking as good as the rendering IMO.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO3gLGAAt5N/

(05-20-2021, 04:14 PM)Lens Wrote: Has anyone seen this lately? The cladding is not looking as good as the rendering IMO.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO3gLGAAt5N/

I've been meaning to post the same thing. In the render it looked like they'd use a matte black metal cladding, sort of like Perimeter Institute. Instead it's just dark grey spandrel glass. I don't hate a little bit of spandrel, the lines where the concrete floors are in a tower for example, but when it's used in more than tiny amounts it's really ugly.
I only go by in the evening, so maybe the sun is just hitting it right at that time, but that photo makes it looks much worse than it seemed in person.

I do despise when buildings turn out completely different than the render though.
I think the sun is to blame in the Instagram photo. It looks a lot different in this picture I took recently: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...9#pid91609

Never expect the actual building to look 100% like a render down to every detail. Renders are done by 3D artists or architects, but they only spend so much time in V-Ray/Rhino working on them. At times the colours might be slightly off from the physical materials used.
(05-21-2021, 10:36 AM)ac3r Wrote: I think the sun is to blame in the Instagram photo. It looks a lot different in this picture I took recently: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...9#pid91609

Never expect the actual building to look 100% like a render down to every detail. Renders are done by 3D artists or architects, but they only spend so much time in V-Ray/Rhino working on them. At times the colours might be slightly off from the physical materials used.

Yeah the sun is doing no favours to that IG photo - a bit funny since its their marketing of the building. Here is another from when I went by last week; I would say its definitely better looking than the 100 Vic podium (at least at present).

Today
Yuck. When the sun is on the glass, the building looks horrible.

(05-30-2021, 10:01 AM)ac3r Wrote: Yuck. When the sun is on the glass, the building looks horrible.

Is it because of the type of spandrel glass they are using?
Yeah most likely. I was hoping the website Architizer would have a listing of materials but I can't seem to search on my phone nor do I imagine this particular project is listed on there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »