Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
Don't know if this has already been posted, but I came across their youtube channel with "construction updates": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvVDU4ZzdOw

[Image: xlxk6MG.jpg]

Photo credit goes to GRT. The photo is from November so it's a bit out of date, but it still looks so towering in the fog.
The view of Duke Tower coming from Fredrick is impressive
Not sure if anyone has taken an up close loom at this lately but the dark precast cladding going on looks BAD. It looks like a wall that's been painted once and it's waiting for a second coat. Up close it's slightly better as you can see the wavy texture. They should have done something flat and untextured instead.

Hopefully the other materials will look better
Kitchener's tallest building ends up looking like garbage...no surprise. I knew it was going to be shit when I saw IN8 was behind it. It's tall, but that's it. What a waste of a perfectly good plot of land, IMO.

Hopefully in as time goes on, it gets obscured by better structures.
Was downtown last night. No building going up right now is gonna be winning any awards.

Disappointing.
I don’t quite understand why they let the first few floors be parking lots instead of retail or other mixed used. I don’t remember seeing something like this in Toronto. I mean that’s what the facades are hiding right?

(01-06-2021, 08:25 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Was downtown last night. No building going up right now is gonna be winning any awards.

In my opinion ... this is the worst of the lot.

Garment St, Young Condos, Arrow 2 are generic but not offensive, and I expect more or less the same for Ophelia. Drewlo will be Drewlo, no awards there but it will serve its purpose. Charlie West is pretty good for a condo, in spite of the somewhat disappointing podium cladding. The Scott is not tall but is actually nicely done, and I think Market Flats will be, too.

Barra (yeah, already finished) looks decent and is a really good fit for the neigbourhood. Civic 66 has potential, too, based on the renders but much can yet change.

Yeah, no awards. But neither are they disastrous, apart from this one.
(01-06-2021, 08:52 PM)catarctica Wrote: I don’t quite understand why they let the first few floors be parking lots instead of retail or other mixed used. I don’t remember seeing something like this in Toronto. I mean that’s what the facades are hiding right?

Parking podia are cheaper than underground garages.  Although I think this one will have some commercial space on the Duke St frontage, no?
Podia! Smile Yes, there is to be commercial space on the ground floor.

Underground parking is particularly expensive in K-W due to the shallow water table.
(01-06-2021, 10:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Podia! Smile Yes, there is to be commercial space on the ground floor.

Underground parking is particularly expensive in K-W due to the shallow water table.

Since the Duke Tower sits atop a hill of sand, I wonder whether the water table was a factor.  I don't recall it generating any issues at the courthouse.
(01-07-2021, 02:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 10:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Podia! Smile Yes, there is to be commercial space on the ground floor.

Since the Duke Tower sits atop a hill of sand, I wonder whether the water table was a factor.  I don't recall it generating any issues at the courthouse.

It helps but not as much as I would have expected -- even at Arrow 2 or Station Park you end up pumping out water.

(01-07-2021, 04:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 02:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Since the Duke Tower sits atop a hill of sand, I wonder whether the water table was a factor.  I don't recall it generating any issues at the courthouse.

It helps but not as much as I would have expected -- even at Arrow 2 or Station Park you end up pumping out water.

Considerably lower sites, no?  Areas closer to the level of Victoria Park (former swampland, no?) I could see it being an issue.

Even though it looks nice (' hard loft '?) Is Arrow I aging well?
(01-07-2021, 08:26 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Even though it looks nice (' hard loft '?) Is Arrow I aging well?

I do think so. But keeping a condo building attractive requires ongoing attention (and spending!) by the board.

And if you don't do upgrades, even if you keep things in top condition, you can end up with a result like Willow Wells, where the common areas are pristine but have very much of a last-century feel.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »