Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-18-2015, 07:53 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: It would be nice if there was some sort of colour coded progress indicator on the rideion.ca page that told you the percent complete and ahead, behind, or on schedule for each section between stations.

I think GrandLinq is required to report progress every so often back to council and their last update was in February/March so the next one can't be far off.

This is a great idea.  Did you send this suggestion to Grandlinq?  For some reason they won't reply to me on Face Book, Twitter or E-mail anymore.

GrandLinq doesn't have a Twitter account that I'm aware of, but @rideIONrt will likely get back to you fairly quickly.
(06-17-2015, 08:50 PM)BrianT Wrote:
(06-17-2015, 07:45 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: Yay, another stone one!  Slowly I'll get them all Wink

If they were all stone, they would not be very interesting or visible. A variety is better.

There is a huge variety of different stone types available, even if one were to choose just from Ontario-sourced stone: granite (black, red), marble (pink, buff, black, white, green), limestone, feldspar, flagstone, slate, ...
The available stone samples to choose from for the walls is small, unless we want to get into add-on costs, which won't happen. Looking at the new Victoria Park stop, the stone blends in with the buildings and doesn't help either passengers or pedestrians. I am very disappointed. A mirroring or minor adjustment to the original good wall could have eliminated a very tenuous link (we're not changing the market wall despite putting effectively a red light/yellow light district colour on Cedar), and kept a good visual draw and cue.
(06-19-2015, 05:45 AM)Canard Wrote: GrandLinq doesn't have a Twitter account that I'm aware of, but @rideIONrt will likely get back to you fairly quickly.

Thank you.  That's who I meant, but for some reason they stopped replying to me.
Apart from the Laurel Creek Culvert (around which there was no water for the first time in a few weeks) and a small one that seemed to be in the process of being filled at William and Caroline, there were no gaping holes on Caroline this afternoon as I walked past.

Mind you, the construction update for today suggests the William/Caroline closure has been extended from the original 2 weeks to 6 weeks, ending on July 17.

"
This closure has been extended to accommodate additional work in the intersection which will shorten the overall duration the intersection will need to be closed over the next few months
The underground wet utility work including watermain, storm sewer, and sanitary service will be completed
Additionally, we will install the underground infrastructure for traffic signals, street lights and the underground cable system (duct bank system)
"
A project like this really brings to light just how much stuff there is under our streets. For a surface transportation project, it sure seems like >50% of the work is underground!

Also makes you wonder how much of the final budget is utility work that probably would have been needed within the next twenty years anyway.
Oh absolutely. By doing everything all at once, I'm sure hundreds of millions in future ground works contracts are being saved. I wish The Record or CTV would run a positive article about that. I suppose those kind of articles don't garner the sensationalist headlines, though.
Pure laughs, I hope no one takes his writing seriously:
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/568720...rmits-show
The fact that this ass**** gets paid for this crap is further proof of what a rag The Record is.
Can someone here who is good at that sort of thing please write a letter to the editor completly shredding his article?
Here is a quick attempt at what it could be (note that this is just for demonstration purposes and has no connection to the current state of construction in reality):

Green = on time
Red = behind schedule
Grey = not started/not scheduled/no status

No labels:
[Image: 3507a7q.png]

Labels:
[Image: 2py88zc.png]
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

There is a Rapid Transit Update by Thomas Schmidt, Commissioner of Transportation & Environmental Services, Region of Waterloo at the all council meeting next Thursday.
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...5-0625.pdf
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Too bad it's during working hours; would have been interested in hearing what he had to say.

Nice maps!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »