Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
This looks totally different than the black and white paneling going in...am i missing something?

(09-15-2020, 12:27 AM)cherrypark Wrote:
(09-14-2020, 07:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Dressing in the render?  All I see is an open parking garage, although the render is very unclear.

I was thinking of this one from the marketing materials. Not the height of design, but seemed like it would blend in a bit more.

[Image: DTK_01.jpg]
Yeah unfortunately they updated the design from this render. The podium was much more thought out in the design and surely the metal would have cost less then the concrete panels. The reason they changed the design is because they put some storage lockers along the east exterior wall in the parking garage. The greyish white spandrel panels also looked much nicer than the seafoam green ones. My guess is cost again. Cheaper to buy more of one colour than a couple different colours.
(09-15-2020, 08:32 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Yeah unfortunately they updated the design from this render. The podium was much more thought out in the design and surely the metal would have cost less then the concrete panels. The reason they changed the design is because they put some storage lockers along the east exterior wall in the parking garage. The greyish white spandrel panels also looked much nicer than the seafoam green ones. My guess is cost again. Cheaper to buy more of one colour than a couple different colours.

Thanks for the insights; I didn't see that they added the lockers. And agreed that the colours of the spandrel here (and the appearance of the greater depth of the joining). Perhaps that was a given from concept to real materials.
I just wonder how buyers of the smaller units feel right now. With the vast majority of units being sub 450sqft 1 bdrm and the number of students at CC Market Square (International and otherwise) vastly dropping, will this cause rents to drop? By the time this is complete though, perhaps things would have bounced back. (Thinking early mid 2022)
I imagine most of the occupants will be renters, but I feel for somebody living in 450sqft and now obliged to work from home. Cabin fever much?
Yep it brings the question of condo vs a townhouse (2bdrm style) at essentially the same price to the front and what folks will opt for go forward.
(09-14-2020, 11:45 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Yah, overcast night?

With a city-wide power failure.

Is the crane broke again or can they not lift it higher? No outside work since Friday.
(09-16-2020, 05:19 PM)Square Wrote: Is the crane broke  again or can they not lift it higher?  No outside work since Friday.

I saw some workers working on it yesterday.  It sure let’s like the crane has to be raised.
Definitely not my favorite building, but this thing is going to be a beast. Hopefully it will only retain the title of tallest for a short while.

The crane rose 3 floors yesterday.
A beast indeed. How many units? Just trying to get a feel for how many residents it will bring to DTK
(09-24-2020, 09:41 AM)Spokes Wrote: A beast indeed.  How many units?  Just trying to get a feel for how many residents it will bring to DTK
theres 14 units per floor on the tower and theres 34 floors of the tower so theres 476 units in the tower plus however many are in the podium.

(09-24-2020, 09:41 AM)Spokes Wrote: A beast indeed.  How many units?  Just trying to get a feel for how many residents it will bring to DTK

It's in excess of 400 apartments, no?  I would have guessed between 1.25 and 1.50 people per apartment, so somewhere north of 500 residents, but that's purely guessing.
Solid guess though
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »