Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region
Looks fresh! Smile Tongue

There is a large mural of I think a robot going up in Hall's Lane, on the back of Cafe Pyrus/DNA. Will try to grab a picture when the artist is done.
I think this is also new (judging by the cover over the gas meter), behind CBC/Matter of Taste. I'm curious who is funding these, and if they are going for a broken window theory approach to cleaning up this alley. I've certainly had my share of harassment, needles, etc. coming from those parking spots...

[Image: glKPU69.jpg]

The pile of garbage between a great mural and far-from-full garbage bins is a great summary of the Halls Lane experience as well.

[Image: XK4aLzj.jpg][Image: 23cx9Bz.jpg]

And I saved the best piece of public art for last:

[Image: qTd3wFp.jpg?1]
(08-21-2020, 08:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: And I saved the best piece of public art for last:

Always there be idiots that will ruin it for everyone. This is why it's hard to have nice things.
(08-21-2020, 08:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I'm curious who is funding these, and if they are going for a broken window theory approach to cleaning up this alley.

Pretty sure Perimeter Development is funding them. They're posting about them on their Instagram, and they own the Simpson Block (CBC/MoT/Square).

I wonder if they own the DNA building too to be putting a mural on it.
A bit late to the party on this one, but the Record ran an article earlier this month about the now hidden mural just south of Willis Way on the older building (before the new building at the corner of Willis Way and King St was built). If my memory serves me well, the mural showed a buffet restaurant and featured various local landmarks repurposed as restaurant features.  If anyone can find a photo of the mural, I'd be glad for the trip down memory lane.
(08-22-2020, 11:07 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 08:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: I'm curious who is funding these, and if they are going for a broken window theory approach to cleaning up this alley.

Pretty sure Perimeter Development is funding them. They're posting about them on their Instagram, and they own the Simpson Block (CBC/MoT/Square).

I wonder if they own the DNA building too to be putting a mural on it.
I gather that additional murals are being done as part of this project?

Here's more information about the murals in DTK. Looks like it's a partnership with the BIA and KW art gallery. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...hener.html
Seems like a terrific initiative.

By the way, how are the 6 pieces done on the sidewalk on King St holding up? I assume they weren’t meant to last long?
Another mural going up on the side of DNA right now. They seem to have added some wood or something that goes over the roof line, making part of the mural extend beyond the top of the building.

(08-29-2020, 08:09 PM)panamaniac Wrote: By the way, how are the 6 pieces done on the sidewalk on King St holding up?  I assume they weren’t meant to last long?

At least some of them seem to be quite faded now, but not completely gone.
I hope that we see a lot more murals going up. I keep hoping that someone repaints the Pepsi mural on Victoria. I am not a huge fan of corporate murals, but some are a-okay.
(09-12-2020, 07:24 PM)jeffster Wrote: I hope that we see a lot more murals going up. I keep hoping that someone repaints the Pepsi mural on Victoria. I am not a huge fan of corporate murals, but some are a-okay.
I’ve always thought it would be cool if that one could be restored.
(09-12-2020, 07:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 07:24 PM)jeffster Wrote: I hope that we see a lot more murals going up. I keep hoping that someone repaints the Pepsi mural on Victoria. I am not a huge fan of corporate murals, but some are a-okay.

There are a few out there that could be redone. My memory is foggy though, and I can't remember the other ones.

(09-12-2020, 10:26 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 07:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I’ve always thought it would be cool if that one could be restored.

There are a few out there that could be redone. My memory is foggy though, and I can't remember the other ones.

I don't know if it has survived the current renovations, but there was a very old one (Conservatory of Music?  I can't recall) on the west side of the K-W Labour Assoc. builiding.  More recently, the painted sign on the side of Brauns was covered over when that building was renovated a few years back, which I thought was a pity.  Did the Budd's sign that faced Hall's Lane/Gaukel survive that renovation?
(09-12-2020, 07:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
I hope so too, I lived on Theresa Street from 1965-1973, remember it very well, Shoemaker's convenience, Mr. Shoemaker himself would actually refer me to my ethnic Italian background nickname "Mimmo"! Unbelievable transformation on Victoria Street too, my dad actually worked at Huck Glove, spent many a day on the third floor waiting for his shift to end to get a ride home during high school. He wouldn't believe what is happening there, crazy!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »