Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
50 storey tower, with Ziggy’s being torn down for an expansion of Francis Green. Smile

I say go for the glory...if building 50 floors, just for 60! Or 70!
(08-21-2020, 08:10 PM)Momo26 Wrote: I say go for the glory...if building 50 floors, just for 60! Or 70!

To the moon!

https://www.chapala.com/elojo/november-2...moon-alice
(08-21-2020, 06:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: 50 storey tower, with Ziggy’s being torn down for an expansion of Francis Green. Smile

50 storeys to store all the glorious rumours around here.

100% sure this will be the terminus for the tunnel that finds its way through city hall (P3), DTK and Drewlo.
(08-21-2020, 10:39 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 06:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: 50 storey tower, with Ziggy’s being torn down for an expansion of Francis Green. Smile

50 storeys to store all the glorious rumours around here.

100% sure this will be the terminus for the tunnel that finds its way through city hall (P3), DTK and Drewlo.
If there were a place to construct a building in the 40/50 floor range, the manulife parking lot would honestly be a good place for it. LRT right there, could form a little cluster with Charlie West. Easy walk to the future transit hub, and would help balance out the tall cluster we'll be getting at station park. I'd be all for it.
I don't know where this 50 floor rumour came from haha. Before Covid-19, there were plans for something in the 40s, and I am hoping that the economic impacts of the pandemic won't stall that very long. However, I think the 50 floor stuff was just a joke.
(08-22-2020, 03:27 PM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 10:39 PM)jeffster Wrote: 50 storeys to store all the glorious rumours around here.

If there were a place to construct a building in the 40/50 floor range, the manulife parking lot would honestly be a good place for it. LRT right there, could form a little cluster with Charlie West. Easy walk to the future transit hub, and would help balance out the tall cluster we'll be getting at station park. I'd be all for it.

This is true. There is supposed to be something going in there that was supposed to be significant.

You know, the main Manulife parking lot is a big block. I think it would need TWO fifty storey towers! Wink
I think there was a vision of having dual towers connected with overhead pass between the two big lots on either side of the street. At least I recall that's something I envisioned as BIG DTK project. If going this route, they should most definately be 50 floors min...and please, hire an award winning architect!
Yeah if I remember correctly, the original complex was supposed to have a tower on the one side (it could have been two as well). Unfortunately it ended up being a mediocre mall.
(08-24-2020, 08:23 AM)ac3r Wrote: Yeah if I remember correctly, the original complex was supposed to have a tower on the one side (it could have been two as well). Unfortunately it ended up being a mediocre mall.

I think you're confusing the site(s) with the King Centre, which is kitty corner.
The mechanic at the corner of Weber / Victoria (next to worth a second look) had some sort of metal fencing up around the entire property tonight. Any word?
(08-27-2020, 12:16 AM)GtwoK Wrote: The mechanic at the corner of Weber / Victoria (next to worth a second look) had some sort of metal fencing up around the entire property tonight. Any word?

Apparently it's been closed for a while, and a temporary camp was setup there, which was just evicted. It may be less about imminent redevelopment, and more about ensuring no new camp is setup. 

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-bill.html

(08-27-2020, 01:36 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 12:16 AM)GtwoK Wrote: The mechanic at the corner of Weber / Victoria (next to worth a second look) had some sort of metal fencing up around the entire property tonight. Any word?

Apparently it's been closed for a while, and a temporary camp was setup there, which was just evicted. It may be less about imminent redevelopment, and more about ensuring no new camp is setup. 

Was just by there on my bike and in addition to the fencing, there was a grey and white security vehicle with a person inside just hanging out. Not sure if that's related to the encampment that had been there or not (as there still seems to be some items left from the camp on the property).
(08-27-2020, 10:44 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 01:36 AM)taylortbb Wrote: Apparently it's been closed for a while, and a temporary camp was setup there, which was just evicted. It may be less about imminent redevelopment, and more about ensuring no new camp is setup. 

Was just by there on my bike and in addition to the fencing, there was a grey and white security vehicle with a person inside just hanging out. Not sure if that's related to the encampment that had been there or not (as there still seems to be some items left from the camp on the property).

Can't get anyone to clear the sidewalks for a couple winters but build a few tents and all of the sudden the site needs to be cleared and maintained. This city / region is frustrating.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »