Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The COVID-19 pandemic
No historical data. You can retrieve old versions of the page using archive.org, or I can share my spreadsheet.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-ontario-...g-covid-19

I think that 2.8% is from an earlier set of tests, about three weeks ago, on IU campus.
https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/05/iupu...virus.html

I'm concerned about the increase too, especially now that we've got nicer weather on the way and people clamouring to return to pre-covid lifestyles. They re-opened industrial construction but I don't think I will be going out to look for a new job anytime soon... colds spread through jobsites pretty fast, I don't really feel like I need to take a chance on getting covid, even if I'm not high-risk, I still like my currently functioning organs.
(05-22-2020, 03:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: No historical data. You can retrieve old versions of the page using archive.org, or I can share my spreadsheet.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-ontario-...g-covid-19

I think that 2.8% is from an earlier set of tests, about three weeks ago, on IU campus.
https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/05/iupu...virus.html

I think he was referring to the study you linked too, but the study you linked too seems to be of the general population, not of IU campus students (who aren't there anyway).  The study is supposedly quite broadly applicable with specific intent to ensure traditionally underrepresented groups are included.

Thanks for the link!  It's unfortunate they don't report historical data Sad.
(05-22-2020, 03:39 PM)clasher Wrote: I'm concerned about the increase too, especially now that we've got nicer weather on the way and people clamouring to return to pre-covid lifestyles. They re-opened industrial construction but I don't think I will be going out to look for a new job anytime soon... colds spread through jobsites pretty fast, I don't really feel like I need to take a chance on getting covid, even if I'm not high-risk, I still like my currently functioning organs.

Have there been any significant cases of spread at the residential construction sites that remained open?  I've not seen any media coverage of it in Ontario.
(05-22-2020, 04:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 03:39 PM)clasher Wrote: I'm concerned about the increase too, especially now that we've got nicer weather on the way and people clamouring to return to pre-covid lifestyles. They re-opened industrial construction but I don't think I will be going out to look for a new job anytime soon... colds spread through jobsites pretty fast, I don't really feel like I need to take a chance on getting covid, even if I'm not high-risk, I still like my currently functioning organs.

Have there been any significant cases of spread at the residential construction sites that remained open?  I've not seen any media coverage of it in Ontario.

I haven't heard anything but there's not been much testing so who knows.
(05-22-2020, 05:21 PM)clasher Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 04:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Have there been any significant cases of spread at the residential construction sites that remained open?  I've not seen any media coverage of it in Ontario.

I haven't heard anything but there's not been much testing so who knows.

“There’s not been much testing” uhh citation needed. AFAIK they have tested every single LTC resident in the region at least if not Ontario.
(05-22-2020, 07:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 05:21 PM)clasher Wrote: I haven't heard anything but there's not been much testing so who knows.

“There’s not been much testing” uhh citation needed. AFAIK they have tested every single LTC resident in the region at least if not Ontario.
We were speaking of construction workers.

(05-22-2020, 07:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 07:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: “There’s not been much testing” uhh citation needed. AFAIK they have tested every single LTC resident in the region at least if not Ontario.

Sorry, my bad, I totally misread "residential construction sites" as "residential sites".
(05-22-2020, 07:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 07:28 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: “There’s not been much testing” uhh citation needed. AFAIK they have tested every single LTC resident in the region at least if not Ontario.

Yeah, I'd have thought that the context of the conversation might have clued someone in but apparently not. I haven't heard how many people are getting tested in the construction industry or really anything much about where it is spreading in the community so I'm just gonna stay home for a while more, even if I have to live off my savings for a bit. I don't blame anyone that is feeling the crunch financially and wants to head back to work, so no hate towards my fellow workers, I just hope their boses and companies try to create safer workplaces for them.
Saw this today:

https://www.tvo.org/article/covid-19-the...-may-17-22

A lot of places have managed to control this pandemic. Ontario is not doing great but certainly better than the US. Might be GTA in a similar way to how Quebec is really Montreal.
^^^ The idea that the increase in new cases as a result of Mothers Day is interesting.
(05-22-2020, 11:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 11:53 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Hardware stores?

Not likely (imo).  From what I've seen, they have been first rate at social distancing.  Far better than supermarkets, in fact.

My experience is limited to one trip to each of two different stores, but neither were too inspiring. They had the line up out the door and were controlling entry, of course, but once inside people weren't acting differently to as they normally would, were ignoring arrows and so on.

It's not too concerning to me how customers act, though- I figure that they are there for a few minutes, constantly moving, and many of them could reasonably be expected to barely be ever leaving their homes otherwise. But the employees are there day in, day out for hours on end, interacting with dozens or hundreds of people. They have presumably been trained to do their jobs a certain way, but they seem content to proceed the "wrong way" down an aisle whether a customer could give them space or not. In Lowe's, I noted that several of them were in their office at computers a few feet from each other, and others were chatting right next to each other.

That will be the way transmission happens, not between two customers who are five feet apart instead of six, for ten minutes, facing away from each other, in the outdoors. But that seems to be the focus.
I have no idea if this is useful and a practice that should be followed by other companies, or something that's not helpful and might cause needless alarm, but Sobeys posts positive coronavirus test results of employees at its stores: COVID-19 Cases in Our Stores- Sobeys Corporate

In Elmira, two employees have tested positive (that's not true of any other Sobeys store in the province). The second tested positive on the 18th, after having last worked on the 14th.

Anybody else catch Doug Ford's media appearance this morning? He was not in good form at all - no mention of the rising number of new cases in Ontario. Tsk, tsking (with no measures) re Trinity Bellwood Park, and very confusing comments about testing (will we ever get an explanation of why his government's "laser focus" doesn't seem to be producing results?).. He's had a remarkably good run since March, but I'm getting the impression that his luck may be running out. His performance certainly didn't provide any reassurance or inspire confidence.
Everyone says he's had a remarkable good run, but what exactly has he done well besides not being a utter disaster like Trump? I'd say he hasn't made things worse, but I definitely feel his leadership has been tepid and lukewarm and leaving people confused and unsure of what to do.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »