Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Patrick's celebrations
(03-10-2020, 11:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-28-2019, 01:52 PM)jeffster Wrote: Depends on how much they intend on fining people. Say $250 for whatever they feel they can do is 'reasonable' and enough of a deterrent in 2021, multiply that by 1,500 (7% of the attendee's) is $375,000 minus enforcement cost (and assume 50% actually pay) so perhaps around $175,000 for coffers. I'd still bank though that many would take that risk as rather small, especially if they intend on fighting it. I mean, if I was a 19 or 20 year old, and perhaps came from a modest enough income, $250 is a small risk to have an awesome time with a lot of peers of my age. A pub crawl will cost almost as much. But I don't think Waterloo has calculated the cost associated with potentially many, if not most, of the party goers fighting the charges, plus any that gave false information and the consequences of that -- especially if they do link it to your drivers license.

This is a truly absurd suggestion, given that the top complaint about this party is the cost to the city and region. Police cost (which I believe is inflated--but still ends up on our budget sheet) exceeds a million dollars.

Yes, which is why I bring up the risk of students fighting charges.

I don't see any real solutions to stopping this party now. Waterloo has cooked their dinner IMHO and is part of our culture now. They just need to find a way to mitigate costs, educate so more students limit alcohol consumption, and perhaps set up a triage.

(03-10-2020, 03:19 PM)jgsz Wrote: Local authorities are getting ready for another huge party on Ezra Street.  Really?  Most Saint Patrick’s Day Parades around the world have been cancelled due to Covid19.

You're assuming that this is an organised, single-hierarchy event like your other examples, which it most definitely is not.

(03-10-2020, 03:19 PM)jgsz Wrote: Locally, the True North Festival has been cancelled for the same reason.  Rather than preparing for a huge party, the authorities should consider putting out an urgent message cancelling the event, and other large gatherings, due to Covid19.

If they could just cancel the event, don't you think they would have tried to do so in the past?
So the question is...how many students show up?
The universities being closed will surely put a significant dent in the numbers, as will (one dares hope) common sense.
(03-14-2020, 08:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The universities being closed will surely put a significant dent in the numbers, as will (one dares hope) common sense.

Will it? Thousands of university students with nothing better to do, as  AFAIK they didn't close the dorms and send everybody home.
(03-14-2020, 10:09 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(03-14-2020, 08:43 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The universities being closed will surely put a significant dent in the numbers, as will (one dares hope) common sense.

Will it? Thousands of university students with nothing better to do, as  AFAIK they didn't close the dorms and send everybody home.

Back in my day, when there were no classes, the majority of students headed out of town.  Have things changed that much?
I drove past Ezra St. today and most of the buildings have temporary fencing up around their front lawns, right out to the sidewalk. There must be around a dozen security guards stationed all down the street. It seems a bit early but I’m guessing they’re hoping to suppress the party. As far as I could tell there was no police presence, and it wasn’t every single building so I’m guessing this is being done by the owners of most of the buildings. Do I recall correctly that Laurier bought a lot of the apartments in the area a few years back?

The street feels cramped with only the sidewalks and the motor vehicle lanes not enclosed in the fences. Add in a few police checkpoints and there won’t be any space for a party. I’ll be interested to hear what happens on Tuesday.

From the students I have talked to. They have been told that the balance of this semester and the spring semester will be online. They asked if they could go home (India) and they were advised to think about it cause they may not be able to come back (travel restrictions) for the fall semester
To answer the question if students will stay away from partying: There was a 400 person pre-SPD party Saturday night
(03-16-2020, 10:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: To answer the question if students will stay away from partying:  There was a 400 person pre-SPD party Saturday night

Is that the one that WRPS broke up?
Shockingly ... it looks like it didn't happen at all this year.

[Image: image.jpg]

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/no-one-out-...-1.4856374
So where nearly a decade of municipal hand-wringing fails, an infectious microbe succeeds. Huh.
(03-17-2020, 05:58 PM)KevinL Wrote: So where nearly a decade of municipal hand-wringing fails, an infectious microbe succeeds. Huh.

More than a decade. There was a least one notable incident in the ’90s, then I believe it was an issue again in the ’00s, then again in the last few years.

And for some reason I still think it’s called Ezra St. even though it is in fact Ezra Ave.

(03-17-2020, 12:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Shockingly ... it looks like it didn't happen at all this year.

[Image: image.jpg]

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/no-one-out-...-1.4856374

I'm thinking between the scare of the coronavirus plus the ever changing situation with the Feds and Province due to corona, the students likely smartened up this year.
Damp and cold weather probably didn't hurt either. Is the police/security presence usually that high for it?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »