Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ottawa LRT
More growing pains for Ottawa LRT...The frigid cold is causing some issues maybe. Funny, at the end of the article they have to add a part about a payment being made quietly to the operator as though it shouldn't have happened...

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1901320

(02-20-2020, 08:24 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: More growing pains for Ottawa LRT...The frigid cold is causing some issues maybe. Funny, at the end of the article they have to add a part about a payment being made quietly to the operator as though it shouldn't have happened...

I hate saying this, but the officials up in Ottawa were being cocky cocks when comparing their LRT to our Ion. Not so cocky now, are we.
(02-20-2020, 01:21 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-20-2020, 08:24 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: More growing pains for Ottawa LRT...The frigid cold is causing some issues maybe. Funny, at the end of the article they have to add a part about a payment being made quietly to the operator as though it shouldn't have happened...

I hate saying this, but the officials up in Ottawa were being cocky cocks when comparing their LRT to our Ion. Not so cocky now, are we.
Were they trying to imply they have a better system ?

It wasn’t that the payment shouldn’t have happened, it was that the public had been given to understand that no payments had been given, which turned out not to be the case.  They are struggling with transparency, along with the system problems.  It’s still early days, but Ottawans are wondering whether they’ve bought a lemon.
(02-20-2020, 01:29 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Were they trying to imply they have a better system ?

Yes, absolutely.
Ottawa's system is so good the manufacturer bought our manufacturer... Go figure !!
(02-20-2020, 01:29 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-20-2020, 01:21 PM)jeffster Wrote: I hate saying this, but the officials up in Ottawa were being cocky cocks when comparing their LRT to our Ion. Not so cocky now, are we.
Were they trying to imply they have a better system ?

Pretty much that is exactly what they were saying. Not that I disagree that dedicated lines that do not share roads are a good idea because it is better if you can do that. It was their cocky cockiness regarding the superiority of their system over the Ion that was annoying. At least our system isn't half-baked.

Cheers to that
(02-20-2020, 06:44 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(02-20-2020, 01:29 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Were they trying to imply they have a better system ?

Pretty much that is exactly what they were saying. Not that I disagree that dedicated lines that do not share roads are a good idea because it is better if you can do that. It was their cocky cockiness regarding the superiority of their system over the Ion that was annoying. At least our system isn't half-baked.

Our trains do not "share roads"....they do share the street, which there is nothing wrong with.

Their system is considerable more expensive per km, a cost that would have been wasteful in our city.
(02-20-2020, 06:44 PM)jeffster Wrote:

I've ridden their LRT, I'd hardly call the system half-baked. The stations are very well-built and most aspects show excellent quality; with the exception of the trains, which worked well around the time of my visit at New Year's but seem to have intermittent problems at other times. I don't know what the 'cockiness' was that you speak of; certainly the train issues are humbling, but I don't see why we need to rub it in their faces.
(02-20-2020, 08:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-20-2020, 06:44 PM)jeffster Wrote: Pretty much that is exactly what they were saying. Not that I disagree that dedicated lines that do not share roads are a good idea because it is better if you can do that. It was their cocky cockiness regarding the superiority of their system over the Ion that was annoying. At least our system isn't half-baked.

Our trains do not "share roads"....they do share the street, which there is nothing wrong with.

Their system is considerable more expensive per km, a cost that would have been wasteful in our city.

Right -- they (the Ion) has it's own dedicated line but with several crossings, which the cocky cocks with their cockiness we're expressing the Ottawa O-Train as so much better because no risk of car/train accident (mind you, federal funds for the federal city). But hey, it seems that our trains are fully baked at least. Other than stupid drivers, no real issues for the Ion other than their stupid payment system.
(02-20-2020, 09:53 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(02-20-2020, 06:44 PM)jeffster Wrote: Pretty much that is exactly what they were saying. Not that I disagree that dedicated lines that do not share roads are a good idea because it is better if you can do that. It was their cocky cockiness regarding the superiority of their system over the Ion that was annoying. At least our system isn't half-baked.

I've ridden their LRT, I'd hardly call the system half-baked. The stations are very well-built and most aspects show excellent quality; with the exception of the trains, which worked well around the time of my visit at New Year's but seem to have intermittent problems at other times. I don't know what the 'cockiness' was that you speak of; certainly the train issues are humbling, but I don't see why we need to rub it in their faces.

Right, their system (stations and completely dedicated lines) are better than the Ion. Their trains, which are 90% of the importance of the system, sort of suck, as riders have realized. Good dedicated lines and nice stations don't help this, at all.

The cockiness I speak of is when their officials were comparing our system to theirs, since they had a similar target date for launch of service, and they had nothing good to say of the Ion. It was their cockiness rubbing it into our faces of our crappy Ion system. As for some of us here calling out their cockiness, I am 99% sure that 99.9999% of the Ottawa users and management and other O-Train workers have no clue of what is being written here. There might be 3 or 4 Ottawa citizens looking at this thread and thinking one of 2 things: This cocky cock calling out so-called cocky cocks has no idea what he's talking about and the others are saying "damn right he is".
I don't remember a lot of cockiness personally. I do remember, though, there was a period of time that Bombardier was being put through the ringer on being late with deliveries and the whole sage with Metrolinx switching their order for Mississauga to Alstom (or something like that). I never came across to me that Ottawa was thumbing their nose at us, though. It was more that people in Toronto and KW were royally pissed off at Bombardier and looked at the situation in Ottawa with Alstom as a successful contrast to the seemingly abject failure of Bombardier. It's slightly ironic now that our Bombardier trains seem to be chugging away happily (aside from the fact that they seem to be fly paper for irresponsible drivers in SUVs) while the Alstom trains seem to be lemons.

(02-21-2020, 08:54 AM)jamincan Wrote: (aside from the fact that they seem to be fly paper for irresponsible drivers in SUVs)

Thank you. Nearly brought coffee through my nose.
(02-21-2020, 08:54 AM)jamincan Wrote: (aside from the fact that they seem to be fly paper for irresponsible drivers in SUVs)

That's actually funny. What sucks is that the Woolwich Observer cartoonist couldn't come up with something funny like this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »