Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
(12-31-2019, 01:51 PM)KevinL Wrote: I believe Via's next step for better reliability and frequency is a corridor from Scarborough to Smiths Falls via Peterborough. This would take Oshawa and Kingston off the main route, and run most Montreal trains via Ottawa.

Yeah, I know that was their proposal...I'm surprised because they have made big investments in the lakeshore route, but I also think they won't replace the lakeshore route, but suppliment it.  My surprise comes from the fact that they would split their resources...but who knows...maybe that route has other advantages.

Main advantage of the inland route is full control over scheduling; no freight concerns to worry about.
Main disadvantage is the lack of tracks east of Havelock. Would be able to build it for higher speeds if they laid new ones.
(12-31-2019, 06:11 PM)clasher Wrote: Main disadvantage is the lack of tracks east of Havelock. Would be able to build it for higher speeds if they laid new ones.

I'd say that the main disadvantage of their HFR route through Peterborough is that it will basically end up being a point-to-point route serving only Toronto and Ottawa. if they want to get all spendy and build new tracks. like they have fo for HFR, the lake shore route would be far more useful to far more people.
The lakeshore route would continue to exist.
(01-04-2020, 01:50 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(12-31-2019, 06:11 PM)clasher Wrote: Main disadvantage is the lack of tracks east of Havelock. Would be able to build it for higher speeds if they laid new ones.

I'd say that the main disadvantage of their HFR route through Peterborough is that it will basically end up being a point-to-point route serving only Toronto and Ottawa. if they want to get all spendy and build new tracks. like they have fo for HFR, the lake shore route would be far more useful to far more people.

I don't know if there is enough room and if there isn't the land costs would be a lot more along the lakeshore. It definitely would serve more people though.
Any new news on this HSR dream line? Back to life? Man what a game-changer it would be...

Any news on that Norwegian Blue of train lines? Wink

Yep, trains generally travel much faster on tracks than off. Tongue
(01-31-2020, 10:28 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Any new news on this HSR dream line? Back to life? Man what a game-changer it would be...

Not as long as Doug Ford and his circus is around.
(01-31-2020, 05:27 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 10:28 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Any new news on this HSR dream line? Back to life? Man what a game-changer it would be...

Not as long as Doug Ford and his circus is around.

One thing I will say about that merry band: at least we know we’re not getting HSR. With the Liberals, we were just starting to think that maybe, just maybe, it was going to happen.
Too bad Wynn didn't just start building it back then. I feel like if it just got started it had a chance to get done even under a new Government.

A lot of the LRT funding came from the province right...if that did not happen when it did, oh man...we would be like what is happening in Hamilton right now No?
(01-31-2020, 06:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 05:27 PM)ac3r Wrote: Not as long as Doug Ford and his circus is around.

One thing I will say about that merry band: at least we know we’re not getting HSR. With the Liberals, we were just starting to think that maybe, just maybe, it was going to happen.

I had the same thought.  During the election, I thought why should I vote for the Liberals, when she had 4 years to start doing something, but all her government did was more environmental assessments that was done in the last 40 years.

(02-01-2020, 05:11 AM)Square Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 06:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: One thing I will say about that merry band: at least we know we’re not getting HSR. With the Liberals, we were just starting to think that maybe, just maybe, it was going to happen.

I had the same thought.  During the election, I thought why should I vote for the Liberals, when she had 4 years to start doing something, but all her government did was more environmental assessments that was done in the last 40 years.

This wasn’t the only issue on which the Liberals did this. Toronto’s Transit City was not built primarily because the Liberals didn’t proceed with it. It is true that an almost 2 year delay was caused by Ford’s meddling, but less than 2 years after Ford’s mayoral term began, Council voted to return to a version of Transit City. If the provincial government had simply continued the process from where it had been paused, the Sheppard LRT would by now have been in operation for years, and the Scarborough RT replacement LRT would be under construction or maybe even complete.

On HSR it’s arguably even worse: they had 15 years, from 2003 to 2018. Are the Liberals actually different from the Conservatives, or not? I would like to think that electing Liberals will lead to real progress on rationalizing our transportation infrastructure (which in our context pretty much means building a lot of non-road choices), but that doesn’t seem to be the history. I would still take normal Liberal incompetence over Conservative insanity any day, but it’s hard to be really enthusiastic about voting for run-of-the-mill.
(02-01-2020, 05:11 AM)Square Wrote:
(01-31-2020, 06:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: One thing I will say about that merry band: at least we know we’re not getting HSR. With the Liberals, we were just starting to think that maybe, just maybe, it was going to happen.

No, only studies were don on the past on HSR, not EAs or TPAs.  Since an EA/TPA is required before construction, the Wynne Liberals were the only government to actually start moving forwards concretely.

Also, the were the only government that succeeded in getting CN to come to the table and start bargaining for away around the Bramalea bottleneck which would have been a must for HSR. They were at the point where a route had been chosen and CN was testing and studying to see if their signalling equipment would work in a hydro corridor and they were reputedly going to say yes.

I didn't vote for the Liberals, either, but I think it's clear that they did not than any previous government on this particular issue.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »