Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-20-2020, 10:12 AM)KevinL Wrote: Yeah, the lack of a dedicated social media office for this is very unfortunate. Many organizations see great returns from having such a role; it's too bad that wasn't put through here.

I seem to recall they had one and then he left for another transit agency and we didn't successfully hire for a replacement.

Our favourite cartoonist at the Woolwich Observer was finally inspired to publish his first LRT-related work since service started. You can enjoy his previous hits in this imgur gallery.

Caption: "With the GRT buses parked due to the strike, there's little in the way of feeding from the feeder system."

[Image: 0xf4IEY.png]
(01-26-2020, 01:51 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Our favourite cartoonist at the Woolwich Observer was finally inspired to publish his first LRT-related work since service started. You can enjoy his previous hits in this imgur gallery.

Caption: "With the GRT buses parked due to the strike, there's little in the way of feeding from the feeder system."

I don't even get this one. They are accurately understanding how a transit system works...they might as well be complaining that roads have intersections.
I was actually wondering what has happened to LRT ridership during the strike. On the one hand, I can see some combined bus/LRT trips not being taken; but on the other hand I can see some trips being taken on the LRT rather than on the usually-slightly-more-convenient bus. In particular, almost any long trip on the 7 (other than between Conestoga Mall and Uptown) could be reasonably replaced by an LRT trip with longer walks.
I took the ION from Mill to Fairway and back on Friday morning and there were very few passengers. I wonder what usage is like during rush hour.
Anecdotally, from getting on and off the train on Friday and Saturday, ridership north of Central Station has been decent, but still not as full as expected. Highest ridership is between UW and Uptown.
Waterloo ridership remains heavy; I was lucky to get a seat when I boarded at Northfield on Friday night, and it remained packed until past Allen.

I was in DTK for an hour around 5pm last night, and all the trains I saw seemed to have plenty of people on them.
I've had to switch from taking the 7 to the ION during the strike. I get on at Frederick Station and ride to Conestoga Mall in the morning and there were a few days I couldn't get a seat when I got on and it stays busy until the universities. During my return trip in the late afternoon the ION is full once it hits the university stops and is still full once I get to Market Station. I'm obviously not sure how the ridership compares to when the buses are running though.
I feel like the trains going from Queen Station towards Fairway between 4:30 and 5 - when I typically ride - are the same or perhaps very slightly lighter. Generally there's an open seat here and there but several folks standing and that seems to have been the case last week as well.
(01-26-2020, 01:51 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Our favourite cartoonist at the Woolwich Observer was finally inspired to publish his first LRT-related work since service started. You can enjoy his previous hits in this imgur gallery.

Oh, they never fail to disappoint. Still hurting that the region didn't go all the way up to Elmira. I mean, I can't figure out any other reason why they'd be upset.
(01-27-2020, 10:46 PM)jeffster Wrote: Oh, they never fail to disappoint. Still hurting that the region didn't go all the way up to Elmira. I mean, I can't figure out any other reason why they'd be upset.

Hey, at least he admits that the LRT gains significant ridership from the bus system.

And only an idiot could think that it’s a mark against the LRT that it isn’t as useful when the bus system is on strike, so clearly that can’t be what he is saying: he must just be saying that it’s unfortunate the bus system is on strike and some people can’t get to the LRT.
I took the ION this morning from Mill to Frederick stations. It departed sometime after 8:30, I neglected to note the specific time though. By the time we got to Market station it was packed full of people. It's the heaviest load I've experienced to date, but I've only been taking the train in the morning since the start of the strike.

(01-28-2020, 08:35 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Hey, at least he admits that the LRT gains significant ridership from the bus system.

And only an idiot could think that it’s a mark against the LRT that it isn’t as useful when the bus system is on strike, so clearly that can’t be what he is saying: he must just be saying that it’s unfortunate the bus system is on strike and some people can’t get to the LRT.

That makes sense. It's a cartoon, though...isn't it supposed to be funny?
(01-28-2020, 03:07 PM)MidTowner Wrote: That makes sense. It's a cartoon, though...isn't it supposed to be funny?

Most of them aren't.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »