Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(01-20-2020, 09:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 11:30 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Very expensive food at that.

(01-20-2020, 08:51 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Au contraire, ultimately it is only those who live here who can create the community. Our collectively-hired planners can do things to impede or encourage it (for example, by deciding whether to have a parking lot or a meeting space in front of a major covered shopping area in Uptown), but ultimately we are (mostly) free people who govern, and entertain, themselves.

It occurs to me that, despite their strengths, both univerities punch well below their weight in terms of their contributions to K-W's cultural and social life.  That seems to me to be true both of the institutions and the respective student bodies.

This is an interesting point that could warrant further investigation/discussion. I recall UofW students volunteering/putting together (some of) the July 1st activities at Columbia Lake (not sure if still the case or not). 

It's hard to serve everyone and people with families (namely younger children) understandably have different interests/limitations then couples, singles, retirees.

I also am mindful that the Uni students are here to generally study (and not fail) and party (usually among one another) and do flood in millions into the local economy/businesses every year just by living/studying here. Their lives generally revolve around the Uni/Uni activities and immediate surroundings. 

What would be neat might be being able to watch theatre/art productions put on by Uni students (ideally low charge or free), STEM learning workshops/conventions by Uni students geared to families (students teach whilst earnings credit/grades) and other stuff. 

I'm sure the Unis donate $ (as not for profit can they even?) or provide sponsorship in other ways that are just not that well broadcast.

EDIT: ah so they did pull out of Canada day (per above post)

Any speculation on when we'll see more than just condo towers along the LRT route?

I'm looking forward to when there more than just the Tim's at Borden station for me to hop off and back on again to get a coffee and bagel on my way to work.
(01-19-2020, 08:03 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-16-2020, 02:24 AM)nms Wrote: I guess the big question is: what have you done to contribute to the things to see and do here?

1. Have you attended any of the concerts that happen in the Region? They range in size from the Centre in the Square to medium theatres (eg the Registry) to house concerts (eg the KW Chamber Music Society) to porch parties. There are numerous bands and musical groups that create great music every day of the week in the Region if you know where to look.

2. Have you attended any of the theatre productions that range from professional to amateur? It's not Broadway or Mirvish but we're not New York.

3. Have you walked along the Grand River or along any of the other trails that are here?

4. Have you attended any of the festivals that happen here?

5. As an architect, have you contributed to creating great spaces that can host planned or impromptu gatherings and events?

6. Have you tried to find or create a community here that might have what you're looking for?

But frankly, there are some people in Waterloo Region who do appreciate that it isn't a bigger city like Toronto. We and those who lived here before us have built a community that more or less suits us.

If you really want answers...

No, I don't attend concerts here - the kind of music I like is very very niche. I went to a theatre production once. I grew up a 10 minute bike ride from the Grand River. Yes, I've been to the festivals, but they're the same thing year after year. Yes, in the past I've been involved in the design of major buildings here (John M. Harper Library, Stephen Hawking Centre at the Perimeter Institute) that serve the community. No.

I know Waterloo Region is smaller and comparing it to Toronto is not fair, but nonetheless, there is just a lack of interesting things to do here for a lot of people. Of course this will change with time, as the city evolves.

(01-22-2020, 12:40 PM)Bytor Wrote: Any speculation on when we'll see more than just condo towers along the LRT route?

I'm looking forward to when there more than just the Tim's at Borden station for me to hop off and back on again to get a coffee and bagel on my way to work.

You mean like the new office buildings now going up in DTK?  Re Borden station, check out the concept in the thread for the "Junction".
(01-22-2020, 12:40 PM)Bytor Wrote: Any speculation on when we'll see more than just condo towers along the LRT route?

There are about two dozen coffee shops in DTK, most of them within a block or two of an LRT station. As well as lots of restaurants. What, exactly, are you looking to hop off for?
(01-22-2020, 05:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

There are about two dozen coffee shops in DTK, most of them within a block or two of an LRT station. As well as lots of restaurants. What, exactly, are you looking to hop off for?

I am heading south, so it needs to be at Kitchener, Market, Borden, Mill, Block Line or Fairway stations, and, like the example given, it needs to be right there to hop off and then get right bak on the next train. Two blocks away is too far.
(01-22-2020, 05:39 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 05:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There are about two dozen coffee shops in DTK, most of them within a block or two of an LRT station. As well as lots of restaurants. What, exactly, are you looking to hop off for?

I am heading south, so it needs to be at Kitchener, Market, Borden, Mill, Block Line or Fairway stations, and, like the example given, it needs to be right there to hop off and then get right bak on the next train. Two blocks away is too far.

Round Table and Balzac within a block of Central stop.
Cafe Pyrus within a block of Victoria Park stop.
Cafe Europe, Darlise, Commons, Coffee Culture within a block of Queen St stop.
Nova Era within a block of Kitchener Market stop.
Tim Hortons within a block of Borden stop.

I don't know the areas further (Kitchener) east.
(01-22-2020, 05:39 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 05:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There are about two dozen coffee shops in DTK, most of them within a block or two of an LRT station. As well as lots of restaurants. What, exactly, are you looking to hop off for?

Nova Era is a block from Market Station. It opens at 7:30. There are current developments on King St. near Market Station. Maybe you will see a coffee shop in one of them. There is a large condo development beside Block Line Station in the planning stages. I don't know if it will include any commercial units at street level. That is years down the line, though. The Schneider's redevelopment is supposed to include some commercial stuff in the existing buildings, but again, that is years down the line and maybe a bit of a longer walk from Mill Stn. than you want. There is also the redevelopment of the Fairview Mall property which is supposed to include the parking lot next to the ION station, and also years down the line. Buy yourself an insulated cup and make your coffee at home.

If there is one thing DTK has a lot of, it's coffee shops. From your run of the mill Insta sludge to speciality sourced, single origin bean. Quick Google search should help . A lot of these places have good selections of baked goods too. I've been meaning to test the walk time from Borden to City Cafe (if there and back within one train wait time is viable) to snag a hot just-out-the-oven bagel in the a.m. The coffee is okay - I think Van Houtte or Baden (can't recall)
That unbelievable fire oven baked bagel makes up for the ok coffee
(01-25-2020, 03:40 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: That unbelievable fire oven baked bagel makes up for the ok coffee

The bagels and, though I haven't had one for years now, their butter tarts - they were crazy sweet but excellent!
And the tuna melts!
(01-25-2020, 06:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-25-2020, 03:40 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: That unbelievable fire oven baked bagel makes up for the ok coffee

The bagels and, though I haven't had one for years now, their butter tarts - they were crazy sweet but excellent!

Ahhh, but you could sprint over to Nova Era from the Kitchener Market stop and pick up some fresh Pastéis de Nata!
Hmmm, butter tart vs pastel de nata. A contest I'd be happy to participate in!

I agree, bit it has to be in search of the best of each, not either or
(01-26-2020, 11:02 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I agree,  bit it has to be in search of the best of each, not either or

I'm heading off to Lisbon and the Algarve for a month this winter - one of my key objectives will be to enjoy a pastel de nata from the place that allegedly invented them!  I only hope it doesn't spoil me for the local ones, after I come back home!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »