Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C
That's unfortunate, It looks they decided to Demolish the house they were going to save. I liked that proposal. I guess because 2 towers are being built instead of 1 large one they probably didn't have room anymore.

So is there a new proposal? Updated renders?
Drove by the site today. Lots of activity. Looks like there are starting to do a little digging. Saw a couple pile drivers working away. Wish we had an updated render.
(12-09-2019, 04:43 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Drove by the site today. Lots of activity. Looks like there are starting to do a little digging. Saw a couple pile drivers working away. Wish we had an updated render.
 I must say I'm not terribly thrilled that these student rentals are migrating their way South down king St....but I suppose it was inevitable.  I assume that these towers will be of the same caliber of some of the towers on Lester.
Not saying this is what is being built, but I think it's a more current prediction:
http://images2.loopnet.com/d2/XJmCcEm9q1...cument.pdf
Not an awful design although no mention of exterior materials which makes me a bit nervous. I feel like we are going to see some really cheap material used here in terms of glazing. White framed punch windows. I will say I have more hope for the aesthetics of this building over the monstrosity that is being built across the street One28.
44 2BR units out of 188 total, or about 75% 1BR.

Watdot thanks for posting.
Not good, not bad, just kinda meh. Maybe we'll know more soon.
The rendering is so weird I can't tell if it will be good or bad. I think good. It sure beats the silly post-modern red and white thing they originally had. Most of the new buildings around the universities look like 30 year old post-modern disasters. The new rendering looks like it was done on 1990s software so it's hard to guess any kind of material use or anything so it's vague, but it at least the design looks a lot more modern in general.
(12-13-2019, 10:09 PM)ac3r Wrote: The rendering is so weird I can't tell if it will be good or bad. I think good. It sure beats the silly post-modern red and white thing they originally had. Most of the new buildings around the universities look like 30 year old post-modern disasters. The new rendering looks like it was done on 1990s software so it's hard to guess any kind of material use or anything so it's vague, but it at least the design looks a lot more modern in general.

I’m not sure which buildings you are calling disasters but just for the record I love the orange-and-white basketweave. I wouldn’t want all the buildings to look like that but having a few funky buildings with unusual aesthetic choices is fine by me.
(12-14-2019, 10:27 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 10:09 PM)ac3r Wrote: The rendering is so weird I can't tell if it will be good or bad. I think good. It sure beats the silly post-modern red and white thing they originally had. Most of the new buildings around the universities look like 30 year old post-modern disasters. The new rendering looks like it was done on 1990s software so it's hard to guess any kind of material use or anything so it's vague, but it at least the design looks a lot more modern in general.

I’m not sure which buildings you are calling disasters but just for the record I love the orange-and-white basketweave. I wouldn’t want all the buildings to look like that but having a few funky buildings with unusual aesthetic choices is fine by me.
I have a feeling they are referring to the buildings along king, especially the disaster at king and Columbia. I would also add all the awful 5 story builds scattered all over the university area before the high rises began
 https://www.google.ca/maps/place/63-53+C...cd93?hl=en 
I actually really like the ones they built at Albert and university. Too bad they weren't all that quality.
(12-14-2019, 02:07 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 10:27 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’m not sure which buildings you are calling disasters but just for the record I love the orange-and-white basketweave. I wouldn’t want all the buildings to look like that but having a few funky buildings with unusual aesthetic choices is fine by me.
I have a feeling they are referring to the buildings along king, especially the disaster at king and Columbia. I would also add all the awful 5 story builds scattered all over the university area before the high rises began
I actually really like the ones they built at Albert and university. Too bad they weren't all that quality.

OK, yeah, King St. isn’t looking so great. Quality varies a lot.

Personally, and I know I’m beating a bit of a dead horse here (see the Market Square thread), but I’m more annoyed by the practical fact that even with skyscrapers going up all over the place there isn’t even the beginning of an attempt at parts of a weather-protected route from UW to WLU. All it would take is a few large buildings along University Ave. to link to each other and this could exist, which would make travel so much more convenient for thousands of students every day.

If I were chief city planner, the rule would be medium density implies covered porticos linked all the way around each block; high density implies fully enclosed links between all buildings.

(12-14-2019, 05:56 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 02:07 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I have a feeling they are referring to the buildings along king, especially the disaster at king and Columbia. I would also add all the awful 5 story builds scattered all over the university area before the high rises began

OK, yeah, King St. isn’t looking so great. Quality varies a lot.

Personally, and I know I’m beating a bit of a dead horse here (see the Market Square thread), but I’m more annoyed by the practical fact that even with skyscrapers going up all over the place there isn’t even the beginning of an attempt at parts of a weather-protected route from UW to WLU. All it would take is a few large buildings along University Ave. to link to each other and this could exist, which would make travel so much more convenient for thousands of students every day.

If I were chief city planner, the rule would be medium density implies covered porticos linked all the way around each block; high density implies fully enclosed links between all buildings.
Well I am glad your not chief city planner then. Haha in all seriousness king is a bit mess. Hopefully as new buildings go up along king they can cover up some of the awful EIFS towers of the past 2 decades.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »