Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Vertikal (471-481 King St E) | 23 & 19 fl | U/C
(11-04-2019, 04:37 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: They were hooking into regional utilities today and final installing the Cameron tower's tower crane base. It's been siting there for two weeks just lying on dirt. King is going to be closed between Cameron and Madison next week would it be too early for the tower cranes? The Cameron tower's tower crane base isn't your normal cast in place one. It is like an x going from 4 pads with the base going on top. So no need to wait for the concrete to cure. So would the cranes going up next week be too early?

Too early? I think if King is being closed it must be for something fairly significant, so I imagine that there is a really good possibility of at least 1 crane going up, if not two.

(11-04-2019, 09:08 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 04:37 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: They were hooking into regional utilities today and final installing the Cameron tower's tower crane base. It's been siting there for two weeks just lying on dirt. King is going to be closed between Cameron and Madison next week would it be too early for the tower cranes? The Cameron tower's tower crane base isn't your normal cast in place one. It is like an x going from 4 pads with the base going on top. So no need to wait for the concrete to cure. So would the cranes going up next week be too early?

Too early? I think if King is being closed it must be for something fairly significant, so I imagine that there is a really good possibility of at least 1 crane going up, if not two.
Okay cool I am going to take photos if the crane goes up. They have very good reach from king for the Cameron tower's tower crane and even Madison if it is a big enough crane. Could they fit two cranes on King in that section one for both cranes at a time? Or just one crane because they have king closed for a week?
I dunno, they have Site Servicing on the road closure page for next week as this week. Would they not close Cameron and Madison instead for the temp crane?
(11-04-2019, 10:21 PM)Square Wrote: I dunno, they have Site Servicing on the road closure page for next week as this week.  Would they not close Cameron and Madison instead for the temp crane?
they already have concrete walls done on the king street side though so for site servicing would they break those concrete walls? Cameron has too many trees and power lines right there to get in the way and is pretty narrow. Madison is also fairly narrow for a crane. plus there hooking into utilities from Cameron as they had a hole in the ground this morning and it's closed all week too, so site servicing from king doesn't currently make sense so would putting cranes up count as site servicing?
(11-04-2019, 10:30 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 10:21 PM)Square Wrote: I dunno, they have Site Servicing on the road closure page for next week as this week.  Would they not close Cameron and Madison instead for the temp crane?
they already have concrete walls done on the king street side though so for site servicing would they break those concrete walls? Cameron has too many trees and power lines right there to get in the way and is pretty narrow. Madison is also fairly narrow for a crane. plus there hooking into utilities from Cameron as they had a hole in the ground this morning and it's closed all week too, so site servicing from king doesn't currently make sense so would putting cranes up count as site servicing?

That I don't know.  Usually for crane install they usually have "Other" listed on the Road Closure Page.
    The first crane is starting to go up. sorry about the quality.
(11-05-2019, 04:42 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: The first crane is starting to go up. sorry about the quality.

Welp, we have our answer. I wonder if the second one goes up soon?

Maybe half up?

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-05-2019, 06:28 PM)DK519 Wrote: Maybe half up?
Maybe I would say more like a third since that tower is 18 floors and that looks to be about 6 floors up.
So did they just leave the crane half built? This development is strange, lol
Yeah it's only half built. I guess they need a bigger area for the boom and the rest of the tower. They have the area on site but the ramp is on an angle there so it isn't flat enough. The crane they had also wasn't tall enough to do the full crane.
This is as of around 4:30pm yesterday afternoon.

Doesn't seem to have changed from when I first saw it last week. It's not even a quarter way up (well, once they top out the building).

Interesting. Must having something to do with the labyrinth over at DTK, and P3 parking (which is hidden) at City Hall.

(11-19-2019, 05:02 PM)jeffster Wrote: Doesn't seem to have changed from when I first saw it last week. It's not even a quarter way up (well, once they top out the building).

Interesting. Must having something to do with the labyrinth over at DTK, and P3 parking (which is hidden) at City Hall.
they're going to have to close one of the surrounding roads to get both cranes up and there isn't any road closure coming up. i think it has something to do with the fact that the crane that is a quarter up isn't your typical crane base. as i previously mentioned it's base is in the shape of the x going to 4 different pads. it has counterweights around the base to keep it from tipping and i think they could be waiting to see if it has settled at all before they proceed with the rest of the crane that way if any adjustments need to be made they can be made more easily. i doubt that the crane(s) will be coming this week.
(11-19-2019, 06:31 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 05:02 PM)jeffster Wrote: Doesn't seem to have changed from when I first saw it last week. It's not even a quarter way up (well, once they top out the building).

they're going to have to close one of the surrounding roads to get both cranes up and there isn't any road closure coming up. i think it has something to do with the fact that the crane that is a quarter up isn't your typical crane base. as i previously mentioned it's base is in the shape of the x going to 4 different pads. it has counterweights around the base to keep it from tipping and i think they could be waiting to see if it has settled at all before they proceed with the rest of the crane that way if any adjustments need to be made they can be made more easily. i doubt that the crane(s) will be coming this week.
Another one?

I'm interested to see how furious my neighbours will be when that happens. King being closed has every other car driving up Madison driving the wrong way on Duke or rolling through the stop sign thinking it's an all-way.

This project has been a gong-show for King East.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »