Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamilton Development
(11-09-2019, 09:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I dearly wish those ugly, useless pedestrian bridges could come down.  They are a blight.

In what way can weather-protected links between buildings be said to be useless in our climate?

(11-10-2019, 01:07 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 09:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I dearly wish those ugly, useless pedestrian bridges could come down.  They are a blight.

In what way can weather-protected links between buildings be said to be useless in our climate?

In this case, in every way.
They had a true purpose when the mall had a full and functioning food court. The hotel one is entirely useless now; I guess 22 Fred people can use theirs to get to the few food places left, but I imagine it's very lightly used.
When I worked at 22 Frederick our parking was in Market Square. So that walkway was very useful to get from parking into the office building.
Should this thread be merged with the Market Square thread?
(11-10-2019, 10:52 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 01:07 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: In what way can weather-protected links between buildings be said to be useless in our climate?

In this case, in every way.

What is that supposed to mean? Is there something unclear about my question? Can you name one of the presumably many ways?

People need to get from one place to another place, and walking is often a good way of doing that. Everything else being equal, doing so in a climate-controlled environment is easier and more comfortable. So, in our climate, in what way can a weather-protected link between buildings be said to be useless?

If it is useless, why do we even have large buildings? Why not just have a bunch of single-room buildings?

To be honest, I have a suspicion that anti-link opinions are pure ideology. This doesn’t mean I positively believe that, but I am very confused about what exactly people are thinking. Personally, I think substantially all buildings in dense areas like downtown should be linked together with weather-protected links, but I’m genuinely interested in rational opinions to the contrary. When I ask, though, I get weird answers that make no sense.

To get back to the Hamilton development, the article that was linked has a nice picture of the inside of the existing mall. What I see is several levels of storefront space linked extremely conveniently by highly walkable paths, with no motor vehicles in sight. How can you possibly make a better pedestrian shopping environment than that? I hope the new development at least keeps the block as a single building, even if it introduces more options for enjoying the outdoors in pleasant weather.
(11-09-2019, 09:04 PM)jeffster Wrote: For some reason, I remember as a child that there was some sort of play area on the exterior of that mall, second level (so off of the street).

There absolutely was.

(11-10-2019, 09:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 09:04 PM)jeffster Wrote: For some reason, I remember as a child that there was some sort of play area on the exterior of that mall, second level (so off of the street).

There absolutely was.

Not sure why, but it seemed to look more impressive back then. Seems like that place has a lot of potential.
Really bad news the provincial government has cancelled Hamilton's LRT system.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theglob...ing-costs/
(12-17-2019, 07:48 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Really bad news the provincial government has cancelled Hamilton's LRT system.

I was following the story yesterday and it's very shocking.   Unfortunately, none of my extended family in Hamilton wanted the LRT so they loved the news.  Too bad for them.
Wow. That's brutal. And awful news for Hamilton
(12-17-2019, 07:57 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 07:48 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Really bad news the provincial government has cancelled Hamilton's LRT system.

I was following the story yesterday and it's very shocking.   Unfortunately, none of my extended family in Hamilton wanted the LRT so they loved the news.  Too bad for them.

Same, lots of relatives in Hamilton and NONE of them wanted it! Even though they weren't paying for it! Facebook posts praising Ford to cancelling it -- from those that voted NDP (as all of them do).
(12-17-2019, 11:05 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(12-17-2019, 07:57 AM)jgsz Wrote: I was following the story yesterday and it's very shocking.   Unfortunately, none of my extended family in Hamilton wanted the LRT so they loved the news.  Too bad for them.

Same, lots of relatives in Hamilton and NONE of them wanted it! Even though they weren't paying for it! Facebook posts praising Ford to cancelling it -- from those that voted NDP (as all of them do).

To be fair, 90% of the people that comment on The Record and CTV Kitchener were also saying "wish Ford could have done that here" or "yay for Hamilton, learn from the KW disaster" . The Facebook posts demographic isn't exactly transit supportive, yet the success of pro-LRT candidates in local elections shows they're not the majority.

Amusingly enough they seem incapable of realizing they're a minority. Convinced either that the next election will somehow be different, or that pro-LRT candidates only win by rigging the election.

Do we think that the building boom in Hamilton that was spurred by the potential LRT will stop, for instance projects like the replacement of City Centre etc.? Their downtown was starting to really turn the corner from what I remember it being like years ago.
(12-18-2019, 08:19 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Do we think that the building boom in Hamilton that was spurred by the potential LRT will stop, for instance projects like the replacement of City Centre etc.? Their downtown was starting to really turn the corner from what I remember it being like years ago.

Part of that sort of building boom (or crashes, for that matter) is an assessment of what everybody else is doing. So to some extent people may see that the downtown is doing well and plan to build or invest there. However, that will just make worse the traffic problems that LRT is meant to ameliorate, so before long there will be an obvious need for more road construction. To people who actually understand, however, it will be even more obvious that the LRT should have been built, and that more and more roads are not a feasible solution.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »