Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Civic 66 (Weber, Scott and Pearl Pl) | 11 fl | U/C
(01-16-2019, 05:45 PM)urbd Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 03:28 PM)Square Wrote: Also says coming 2021.  Do they mean I wonder construction starts then or this is the move in date?

Move in date - they wouldn't announce a construction start date in their marketing materials.

The Record says construction is due to start by the end of this year.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/956...-east-end/

They have part of the lot off of Scott Street fenced off for Melloul Blamey Construction. A sign maybe of things to come?
One can only hope!
I really hope so! Not sure why, but there's something about this project I've always been excited about.
It must be the parking lot as the starting point, those are always big wins for me! Wink
(10-11-2019, 11:05 AM)Spokes Wrote: I really hope so!  Not sure why, but there's something about this project I've always been excited about.

I know the feeling!  But my story is I lived on Pearl Place for over 25 years and maybe move back here?  I still wish they were allowed to build the 20 storey original building, I could have been living in it and not have to move.
When were they planning a 20 storey building?

Around the year 1998, that's when my neighbor came around with a petition to stop it. I of course wasn't interested, lol
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for that.
If I remember right, that 20 floor building was supposed to be done in a similar brutalist architectural style as 82 Weber Street East, the 2 floor office building next door to the vacant property. Naturally, that got shot down quite fast by NIMBY types in the day. It's unfortunate, because that little office building actually has a significant architectural value, so much so that there was a proposal to get it listed as a heritage building back when Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery did a big exhibition on architecture in the region (you can actually still buy the related book at the gallery, which has nice photos/history) and there was a push to get some modernist buildings listed as having heritage value to preserve them. On that point, I really hope we can save some examples of modernism here...it's one style of architecture that a lot of people look down on now and it's starting to get lost at the same rate we tried to forget post-modern architecture.
(10-10-2019, 08:46 PM)Square Wrote: They have part of the lot off of Scott Street fenced off for Melloul Blamey Construction.  A sign maybe of things to come?

Now that I saw the pictures that DK519 posted on the other thread, the development across Weber.  Those pictures show Melloul Blamey as being the constructors, so sadly I think they are just parking the extra vehicles in the empty lot and still no signs of construction here. Sad
The house on Scott street has a fence around it. The one worker I talked to said they are starting to remove the asbestos in the house, also the parking sign said the lot is full. Does that mean that construction will be starting soon?, I hope so.
Read the sign close up today. The parking lot is closed after April 1st, construction will be starting on this date.

They now have the construction fence up. The lady I talked to that works at EIWO, told me they are building right to 8 feet of the office building, and they are losing the parking. Also, it's the same construction company doing the building across the street, are building this one.
I'll add that they have been doing some very nice work on the house. I don't know how it will tie into the development but it does look good.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »