Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.18 Average
Station Park | 18, 28, 36, 40, 50 fl | U/C
tomh009 Wrote:
Quote:Anyway, to each his (or her) own. I look at the Canadian bank stocks, which pay a 5-6% dividend yield and tend to appreciate in value. And require no maintenance, repair or tenant management. For me, this works much better. But if the condo rentals are working out great for you, more power to you.

Not to mention that the bank stock can be sold in sixty seconds at a cost of a $10 brokerage fee. And those dividends are highly tax-advantaged, unlike rental income, which is taxed as income at one's marginal rate.

(09-06-2019, 12:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 11:38 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Analysis of the vacancy rates is a good exercise… It really comes down to what major employers are gonna be opening up shop here attracting people to come and live? The connectivity to Toronto is extremely important and cannot be understated as well.  Go transit has just opened up a couple more options from Kitchener to and from Toronto but they had to cut down the time it takes and it’s still not all day 2 way.  The hyper loop looks scrapped all together under the ford government government

Hyperloop? That is a publicity scheme by Elon Musk. Are you talking about High Speed Rail?
Publicity scheme by Elon Musk?
Huh?

Dubai is set to launch Hyperloop next year in 2020....lol...
(09-06-2019, 01:21 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 12:35 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Hyperloop? That is a publicity scheme by Elon Musk. Are you talking about High Speed Rail?
Publicity scheme by Elon Musk?
Huh?

Very amusing. At most they will have a test track. The idea that a new engineering technology will go from starting construction to taking passengers in less time than our perfectly routine LRT took to be constructed is absurd. There is a reason why vacuum trains haven’t gone anywhere in the over 100 years since the concept was first explored.

But that’s Dubai. The comment to which I was responding was about Ontario, where I don’t think anybody has even pretended to propose a HyperLoop system. That’s why I asked if they meant HSR, which the previous Liberal government claimed to be working on, and had actually done some study work on. Although I don’t recall hearing a specific announcement that Ford or the Conservatives had cancelled it, it’s at least reasonable to talk about them cancelling it. By contrast, as far as I know it’s impossible for Ford to cancel HyperLoop, because the Ontario government is not involved in HyperLoop.
(09-06-2019, 07:21 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: If it is a bad investment then why are so many people doing?

I’m not commenting on your overall comment, but I feel a need to point out that that question could have been asked just before every major market correction or crash in history. Sometimes the answer is “because everybody else is doing it”. If you’ve worked out the cash flow and it makes at least some sense without assuming a continued bull market in real estate, that’s another matter, but it is perfectly possible for a bad investment to be very popular.
(09-06-2019, 10:44 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 01:21 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: Publicity scheme by Elon Musk?
Huh?

Very amusing. At most they will have a test track. The idea that a new engineering technology will go from starting construction to taking passengers in less time than our perfectly routine LRT took to be constructed is absurd. There is a reason why vacuum trains haven’t gone anywhere in the over 100 years since the concept was first explored.

But that’s Dubai. The comment to which I was responding was about Ontario, where I don’t think anybody has even pretended to propose a HyperLoop system. That’s why I asked if they meant HSR, which the previous Liberal government claimed to be working on, and had actually done some study work on. Although I don’t recall hearing a specific announcement that Ford or the Conservatives had cancelled it, it’s at least reasonable to talk about them cancelling it. By contrast, as far as I know it’s impossible for Ford to cancel HyperLoop, because the Ontario government is not involved in HyperLoop.

I was not referring to Ontario at all, you said it was a publicity scheme by Elon Musk which is not true at all. And no it’s not a test track. The first phase (10km)  in Dubai is estimated to be complete by next year...
How can a full phase of a technology that has yet to be proven, be complete in a year's time? That's a (literal) pipe dream.
The last place that needs a hyper loop would get one first eh. Makes so much sense as usual. Welp this is for the general regional transportation thread,  I'm glad we got the LRT so far, at least. If I was Mayor or MP/MPP or as my grade 12 biz teacher at Cemeron Heights put it, the King of Canada - transportation would be number one priority. I'd make sure ample resources allocated to this sector and get things done quick. Or would it all change with the taste of power buhahaha

Is anybody going to the sale event today?
Is anybody going to VIP sales event today?
(09-07-2019, 06:30 AM)moe242324 Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 10:44 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Very amusing. At most they will have a test track. The idea that a new engineering technology will go from starting construction to taking passengers in less time than our perfectly routine LRT took to be constructed is absurd. There is a reason why vacuum trains haven’t gone anywhere in the over 100 years since the concept was first explored.

I was not referring to Ontario at all, you said it was a publicity scheme by Elon Musk which is not true at all. And no it’s not a test track. The first phase (10km)  in Dubai is estimated to be complete by next year...

“I”? You are moe242324. I was responding to Momo26, who said “The hyper loop looks scrapped all together under the ford government government”. The main point I was making was that Ford may have cancelled High Speed Rail, which was in the early stages of possibly going somewhere under the previous government, but Ford definitely hasn’t cancelled HyperLoop, which to my knowledge has not been even semi-seriously discussed here in Ontario. I threw in a snarky comment, which I believe will be proven correct, about HyperLoop, but the main point was about confusion between HSR and HyperLoop.

Even if it opens to the public in the next year or two, which I doubt, for HyperLoop 10km is a test track. HyperLoop is supposed to be a high-speed service, which given the requirements for and practical limits on acceleration, requires long distances between stops.

Also, Elon Musk is well known for throwing out publicity stuff. Loop is another example, which has been progressively (and predictably) watered down so that it’s now just a regular car driving in a tunnel without any of the provisions for emergency exits, etc., which would be required for a real system.

It’s an interesting contrast. On the one hand, he put together the SpaceX team, which really is achieving some amazing things, not to mention Tesla and other businesses; and on the other hand, he keeps throwing off crazy ideas on absurd timelines.
Yes I confused the naming of the high speed track proposed for Toronto 》 Kitchener 》 London. It would obviously be the single biggest game changer for the regions of Waterloo and London ON
(09-07-2019, 12:05 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Yes I confused the naming of the high speed track proposed for Toronto 》 Kitchener 》 London. It would obviously be the single biggest game changer for the regions of Waterloo and London ON

OK, no problem. I agree the HSR would be a huge improvement in transportation. Messing around with more airport capacity is crazy when we still have people flying over short distances. Leave the flying for the long distance trips. The only quibble I would make is that we don’t necessarily need real HSR; a reliable GO train that tops out at 150km/h would be so much faster than the existing service that it would attract enormously more ridership. Although it’s easy for me to say that as a Waterloo Region resident; GO is no help for Londoners. London is enough further away from Toronto than Waterloo that the HSR would really shine.

Unfortunately this country doesn’t seem to be big on HSR implementation. Studies, yes. Implementation, no. To me the most obvious project in the country is actually Calgary — Calgary Airport — Red Deer — Edmonton Airport — Edmonton. You connect the 3 biggest cities, 2 biggest airports, and 2 existing LRT systems in Alberta with one system, eliminating the need for airport-specific rail service and all those short-haul Calgary-Edmonton flights in one 300km project. But I don’t have much hope even for that.
(09-07-2019, 04:42 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 12:05 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Yes I confused the naming of the high speed track proposed for Toronto 》 Kitchener 》 London. It would obviously be the single biggest game changer for the regions of Waterloo and London ON

OK, no problem. I agree the HSR would be a huge improvement in transportation. Messing around with more airport capacity is crazy when we still have people flying over short distances. Leave the flying for the long distance trips. The only quibble I would make is that we don’t necessarily need real HSR; a reliable GO train that tops out at 150km/h would be so much faster than the existing service that it would attract enormously more ridership. Although it’s easy for me to say that as a Waterloo Region resident; GO is no help for Londoners. London is enough further away from Toronto than Waterloo that the HSR would really shine.

Unfortunately this country doesn’t seem to be big on HSR implementation. Studies, yes. Implementation, no. To me the most obvious project in the country is actually Calgary — Calgary Airport — Red Deer — Edmonton Airport — Edmonton. You connect the 3 biggest cities, 2 biggest airports, and 2 existing LRT systems in Alberta with one system, eliminating the need for airport-specific rail service and all those short-haul Calgary-Edmonton flights in one 300km project. But I don’t have much hope even for that.

No kidding, they can't even build traditional rail in that corridor.  And why would they, right now the Alberta government *IS* the oil industry, such a project would be counter to their financial interests.

Was at the 'VIP' event today. They have a release of some units. There was a steady stream of people - catered snacks (charcuterie board) from Vincenzos, Four All ice cream, Monogram coffee and a choice of beer and wine.

Overall nice feel - huge 3d table of DTK and it's buildings but all transparent - not in color and no model of Station Park.

Apparently selling a lot including, like I said before, to outside investors.

Pricing - well, seems they plan to single handily raise the bar of price / square foot in DTK by a cool 75 to 200 depending on the unit. If my math is right, the studios being the highest come in at ~750/sqft. One bedroom avg seems 650ish and 2 bedrooms around that too.

Parking 45k
Maintenance .51
5k for rental lease
(09-07-2019, 08:44 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Was at the 'VIP' event today. They have a release of some units. There was a steady stream of people - catered snacks (charcuterie board) from Vincenzos, Four All ice cream, Monogram coffee and a choice of beer and wine.

Overall nice feel - huge 3d table of DTK and it's buildings but all transparent - not in color and no model of Station Park.

Apparently selling a lot including, like I said before, to outside investors.

Pricing - well, seems they plan to single handily raise the bar of price / square foot in DTK by a cool 75 to 200 depending on the unit. If my math is right, the studios being the highest come in at ~750/sqft. One bedroom avg seems 650ish and 2 bedrooms around that too.

Parking 45k
Maintenance .51
5k for rental lease

Hold on, you're saying $750 a square foot? WTF?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »