Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-19-2019, 12:27 AM)drum118 Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 10:43 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: When did they change the sign on the front of the trains? I was out of town for a couple of days, and noticed they now just say "301 to Fairway" and "301 to Conestoga"  in a bigger font size instead of "301 ION to Fairway" and "301 ION to Conestoga"

Easy to read short than long.            Why have ION in the direction when its the system in the first place???     Take it further, why not 301 Conestoga like a lot system do????

Even further: 301 for Conestoga, 302 for Fairview.

Or: 301 North and 301 South

(08-19-2019, 03:59 PM)jeffster Wrote: Or: 301 North and 301 South
Using North and South for directions in KW?  LOL.  That's a good one.   Big Grin
(08-19-2019, 03:59 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 12:27 AM)drum118 Wrote: Easy to read short than long.            Why have ION in the direction when its the system in the first place???     Take it further, why not 301 Conestoga like a lot system do????

Even further: 301 for Conestoga, 302 for Fairview.

This is WR, so you gotta leave room for the quotes.

301 "North" and 301 "South"
(08-19-2019, 04:22 PM)chutten Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 03:59 PM)jeffster Wrote: Even further: 301 for Conestoga, 302 for Fairview.

PERFECT!  Smile
GRT just posted its schedules for the autumn, and the Ion schedules have changed format- they just show the first train and last train, and frequency, not travel times or exact scheduling at each station.

Also, there is no new schedule for 301, which surprises me- the project agreement calls for 7.5 minute headways in the peak periods outside of summer. It would be disappointing if service doesn't improve next month.
(08-20-2019, 02:29 PM)MidTowner Wrote: GRT just posted its schedules for the autumn, and the Ion schedules have changed format- they just show the first train and last train, and frequency, not travel times or exact scheduling at each station.

Also, there is no new schedule for 301, which surprises me- the project agreement calls for 7.5 minute headways in the peak periods outside of summer. It would be disappointing if service doesn't improve next month.

It would also likely lead to overcrowding at this point.
So I was out and about today and only saw one LRT running -- and it was going backwards, after to appeared to have dropper everyone off at Kitchener Market Station. The signage on it was incorrect too, as it said "Conestoga" but was heading towards Fairview. No one on board. Most of the stations that I did pass had more than the usual amount of people waiting to board, with "next train" arrival times.

I am guessing another accident occurred, really no other explanation.

(08-19-2019, 04:22 PM)chutten Wrote:
(08-19-2019, 03:59 PM)jeffster Wrote: Even further: 301 for Conestoga, 302 for Fairview.

This makes more sense, thx for the correction!
(08-20-2019, 03:48 PM)jeffster Wrote: So I was out and about today and only saw one LRT running -- and it was going backwards, after to appeared to have dropper everyone off at Kitchener Market Station. The signage on it was incorrect too, as it said "Conestoga" but was heading towards Fairview. No one on board. Most of the stations that I did pass had more than the usual amount of people waiting to board, with "next train" arrival times.

I am guessing another accident occurred, really no other explanation.

Yep, https://old.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen..._not_only/ . Right before Kitchener City Hall station.
Do these accidents become routine enough at some point that service isn't interupted (much)?
(08-20-2019, 04:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Do these accidents become routine enough at some point that service isn't interupted (much)?

You'd hope so. If the service has reliability issues due to dumb drivers whacking into these LRT's, people might give up and give something different a try for their transportation needs.
(08-20-2019, 04:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Do these accidents become routine enough at some point that service isn't interupted (much)?

Routine yes, but not frequent, IIRC, last one was the Manulife crash (or the other one later that day), which is over a month ago now. Seems like folks might have gotten the message.
(08-20-2019, 07:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

Routine yes, but not frequent, IIRC, last one was the Manulife crash (or the other one later that day), which is over a month ago now. Seems like folks might have gotten the message.

*Last reported on one.

I don't see any news articles on this one, so I am thinking either the region has been good at keeping them hush-hush, or the media stopped caring about the minor fender benders.

Or it is entirely possible the 2 for 1 day was the last one.

(08-20-2019, 07:45 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 07:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Routine yes, but not frequent, IIRC, last one was the Manulife crash (or the other one later that day), which is over a month ago now. Seems like folks might have gotten the message.

*Last reported on one.

I don't see any news articles on this one, so I am thinking either the region has been good at keeping them hush-hush, or the media stopped caring about the minor fender benders.

Or it is entirely possible the 2 for 1 day was the last one.

If it bleeds, it leads! These accidents are no longer 'bleeding' news. And everyone has finally figured out that most drivers in the region shouldn't actually have a license.

Now, if there is a serious accident then it would make the news. But a Ford Fiesta with the front bumper cover removed, that ain't nothing. A deranged tea-cup poodle could do the same damage to that car.
danbrotherston Wrote:
MidTowner Wrote:GRT just posted its schedules for the autumn, and the Ion schedules have changed format- they just show the first train and last train, and frequency, not travel times or exact scheduling at each station.

It would also likely lead to overcrowding at this point.

It probably would. The train is rarely standing room only right now, but it can fill up. When the students come back in a few weeks, overcrowding may be an issue. I wonder why headways would not improve as per the agreement- or maybe the September schedule for the 301 is just delayed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »