Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road
(07-31-2019, 11:10 AM)timio Wrote: Still holes in the pavement and no signs of adding the final layers of asphalt to the new lanes as of this morning. Maybe there will be a big push to finish, but I'm not holding my breath this will be done in the near future.

I don't think it was supposed to be done before the end of summer.

Then we start the whole process next spring with Hespeler to Townline.

By then, the process will then be King to Homer Watson followed by Townline to Highway 6 Guelph, then Highway 6 Hamilton, then Milton which will meet up with widening from Mississauga. That, plus other stuff, like a flyover from Highway 8 towards London.

As long as I have been alive, I've only recalled expansion of the 401. And I expect that to carry on long after I'm 6 feet under.

(08-01-2019, 05:18 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 11:10 AM)timio Wrote: Still holes in the pavement and no signs of adding the final layers of asphalt to the new lanes as of this morning. Maybe there will be a big push to finish, but I'm not holding my breath this will be done in the near future.

I don't think it was supposed to be done before the end of summer.

Then we start the whole process next spring with Hespeler to Townline.

By then, the process will then be King to Homer Watson followed by Townline to Highway 6 Guelph, then Highway 6 Hamilton, then Milton which will meet up with widening from Mississauga. That, plus other stuff, like a flyover from Highway 8 towards London.

As long as I have been alive, I've only recalled expansion of the 401. And I expect that to carry on long after I'm 6 feet under.

As per the official timeline of the contract, the project was supposed to have been completed on July 31 2019.  However, in usual fashion, those deadlines are rarely met and work usually carries over months.  For a project of this size, it's not surprising.  I just hope they can complete it by October-November.

As for Hespeler to Townline, that was supposed to have started this year, but I suppose the clown in Queens Park is withholding the project from starting.  It's hard to say if it will even begin next year.
There was some action in the "dirt" areas this morning. Looks like they were leveling out the soil to prepare for paving.
Man I hope this is done with soon. In terms of alleviating the congestion between Hespeler and Hwy 8 Westbound and to a greater extend Homer Watson (see Friday afternoons) to Hespeler Eastbound, will these additional lanes do the trick or is the bottle neck just moved further east?
I think it will help a lot. A major part of the delay is simply merging traffic. Lengthening the area to do a merge and significantly reducing the number of drivers requiring a merge in the first place should help immensely.
It'll take a few months for drivers to get used to not having to merge immediately.

Old habits, however unnecessary, die hard.
(08-06-2019, 03:30 PM)timio Wrote: It'll take a few months for drivers to get used to not having to merge immediately.

Most people still merge left almost immediately from the Sportsworld and King Street ramps to Hwy 8 North despite them both continuing as new lanes. And those have been there for years now.

Yeah, I was going to say something about people learning how to merge properly vs. $millions infrastructure costs (where bad habits still persist) but thought it might come across as a bit critical.  lol

SO glad I'm not driving that way anymore.
(08-06-2019, 05:59 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 03:30 PM)timio Wrote: It'll take a few months for drivers to get used to not having to merge immediately.

Most people still merge left almost immediately from the Sportsworld and King Street ramps to Hwy 8 North despite them both continuing as new lanes. And those have been there for years now.

My thoughts exactly
If it's only a few months it'll be a miracle
(08-06-2019, 05:59 PM)jamincan Wrote:

A Kitchener participant on the Canada's Worst Driver show a few years ago specifically asked Cam Woolley (former OPP Sergeant) if she had to merge left at the Sportsworld to Hwy 8 North on-ramp, and his answer was basically "Yes, absolutely."  I'm sure it was just a mis-understanding of our local ramps on his part but I face-palmed hard.  That participant did _not_ need their bad behaviour re-enforced by a trusted spokesperson on national TV...
I liked that season, especially starting off in the Duke St. parking lot and having to go down the windy ramp Big Grin

edit: "whine-dee" like a screw, not "win-dee" like.. uh, the wind
(08-07-2019, 01:05 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 05:59 PM)jamincan Wrote: Most people still merge left almost immediately from the Sportsworld and King Street ramps to Hwy 8 North despite them both continuing as new lanes. And those have been there for years now.

A Kitchener participant on the Canada's Worst Driver show a few years ago specifically asked Cam Woolley (former OPP Sergeant) if she had to merge left at the Sportsworld to Hwy 8 North on-ramp, and his answer was basically "Yes, absolutely."  I'm sure it was just a mis-understanding of our local ramps on his part but I face-palmed hard.  That participant did _not_ need their bad behaviour re-enforced by a trusted spokesperson on national TV.
There are two lanes of ramp for a reason.   People always look at me when I continue past them in the right lane like I am in the wrong.  Well I ask you, how far before the 300 metre merge warning sign should I merge ?  A km before hand? sooner ?  then what is the point of building the lane?   The lane is there to take on the additional volume of traffic.  Use it....
(08-07-2019, 02:01 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 01:05 PM)KevinT Wrote: A Kitchener participant on the Canada's Worst Driver show a few years ago specifically asked Cam Woolley (former OPP Sergeant) if she had to merge left at the Sportsworld to Hwy 8 North on-ramp, and his answer was basically "Yes, absolutely."  I'm sure it was just a mis-understanding of our local ramps on his part but I face-palmed hard.  That participant did _not_ need their bad behaviour re-enforced by a trusted spokesperson on national TV.
There are two lanes of ramp for a reason.   People always look at me when I continue past them in the right lane like I am in the wrong.  Well I ask you, how far before the 300 metre merge warning sign should I merge ?  A km before hand? sooner ?  then what is the point of building the lane?   The lane is there to take on the additional volume of traffic.  Use it....

In the case of the Sportsworld on-ramp, I believe the merge is on the curve between Wellington St. and Lancaster St. For the next on-ramp at King, there is no merge because the lane exits and ends at Ottawa St. at the traffic signal.

So yeah, definitely no need to merge quickly, unless you’re taking the 8 westbound or continuing north on King St.

(08-07-2019, 02:01 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 01:05 PM)KevinT Wrote: A Kitchener participant on the Canada's Worst Driver show a few years ago specifically asked Cam Woolley (former OPP Sergeant) if she had to merge left at the Sportsworld to Hwy 8 North on-ramp, and his answer was basically "Yes, absolutely."  I'm sure it was just a mis-understanding of our local ramps on his part but I face-palmed hard.  That participant did _not_ need their bad behaviour re-enforced by a trusted spokesperson on national TV.

Well said!
(08-07-2019, 02:52 PM)sevenman Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 02:01 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: There are two lanes of ramp for a reason.   People always look at me when I continue past them in the right lane like I am in the wrong.  Well I ask you, how far before the 300 metre merge warning sign should I merge ?  A km before hand? sooner ?  then what is the point of building the lane?   The lane is there to take on the additional volume of traffic.  Use it....

Well said!
Agreed.  Ever seen the drivers that straddle the line to prevent other cars from (seemingly) budding ahead in line?  If there is a lane of traffic to be used, don't obstruct it.  You're making it worse.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »